• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Years 9 & 10 2012 Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hm... 3 unit math, adv. English, chem, physics, music 2, SOR1 (private school...unfortunate) and tossing up between eco, SDD and Bio... Any suggestions?

And BTW ever since year 10 started I HATE GEO!!
That's a shame. Why so?

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
I am failing maths at the moment. These are my marks:
Topic test 1: 54.5% (5% weighting)
Topic test 2: 15.8% (5% weighting)
Maths assignment: 96% (20% weighting)
Term 1 exam: Not sure but definitely under 60% (20% weighting)

I like maths but of course, everything changes when you don't remember things when you are doing an exam! I was told that it is impossible to get an A for my semester 1 report. But what marks would I need to get for my topic tests and semester exam in order to get a B?

And at this stage, is it possible to do something that can allow me to do extension 1 maths next year?
I was in the same position as you when was in 8/9 and heaps of people are so don't fret :) all you can do is study more, actually do your homework and listen to your teacher in class - don't be afraid of asking questions. Study at least one week before a test, especially a big one. Try to not leave your assignments to the last minute (even though i still do this lol).

You have to have good self discipline so dont procrastinate because in the end you'll always end up regretting not starting earlier etc. Be comfortable in the place you work and have a good attitude when you're in class.

Goodluck :) and i'm still trying to get my studies up atm too so we can be in this together :p btw what grade are you in?

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I am failing maths at the moment. These are my marks:
Topic test 1: 54.5% (5% weighting)
Topic test 2: 15.8% (5% weighting)
Maths assignment: 96% (20% weighting)
Term 1 exam: Not sure but definitely under 60% (20% weighting)

I like maths but of course, everything changes when you don't remember things when you are doing an exam! I was told that it is impossible to get an A for my semester 1 report. But what marks would I need to get for my topic tests and semester exam in order to get a B?

And at this stage, is it possible to do something that can allow me to do extension 1 maths next year?
What year are you? Year 9 or Year 10? It is possible to still get a B and try to get 90%+ to ensure you get a B/A hand in homework etc good work ethics etc all add up to your report.

If you are year 9 5.3 Math - focus on doing as good as you can for exams so you don't drop to 5.2 or even 5.1 because that won't be good for MX1
If you are year 9 5.2 Math - Focus on trying to top your class to move up to 5.3 math in year 10
If you are year 9 5.1 Math - Same as 5.2

If you are year 10 - try and improve your results as much as you can as your school may restrict you from doing MX1 or even Mathematics 2U.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
What year are you? Year 9 or Year 10? It is possible to still get a B and try to get 90%+ to ensure you get a B/A hand in homework etc good work ethics etc all add up to your report.

If you are year 9 5.3 Math - focus on doing as good as you can for exams so you don't drop to 5.2 or even 5.1 because that won't be good for MX1
If you are year 9 5.2 Math - Focus on trying to top your class to move up to 5.3 math in year 10
If you are year 9 5.1 Math - Same as 5.2

If you are year 10 - try and improve your results as much as you can as your school may restrict you from doing MX1 or even Mathematics 2U.
I am in year 10. But if I get a B or C and try to get something better in semester 2, would I be able to do 2U maths or MX1? When do they make the decision on who does what subjects?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I am in year 10. But if I get a B or C and try to get something better in semester 2, would I be able to do 2U maths or MX1? When do they make the decision on who does what subjects?
Awesome tip I live by in exams: Never give up regardless of circumstances!

So currently, you think your performance in mathematical tests aren't that brilliant. Perhaps that is true. However, that shouldn't give you the excuse to give up. Remember, we still as year 10ers, have our half year exams and I'm sure most of the weighting comes from this. Don't feel bad about your performance right now. As people and I'm sure most others would agree, mathematics takes time to master. It requires understanding the topics and consolidating your work through exercises. Try to gain an interest in the area if possible rather then simply appear as a rote learner. Are you struggling with mathematics at school? Perhaps you could talk with your teacher about how you made your mistakes in those past tests and learn not to make them again. Have you considered getting a tutor if necessary for you? Remember, you're responsible for the performance of your exams and nobody else. I have faith you can work hard and get an A in your mathematics report this year. Perseverance is key.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Awesome tip I live by in exams: Never give up regardless of circumstances!

So currently, you think your performance in mathematical tests aren't that brilliant. Perhaps that is true. However, that shouldn't give you the excuse to give up. Remember, we still as year 10ers, have our half year exams and I'm sure most of the weighting comes from this. Don't feel bad about your performance right now. As people and I'm sure most others would agree, mathematics takes time to master. It requires understanding the topics and consolidating your work through exercises. Try to gain an interest in the area if possible rather then simply appear as a rote learner. Are you struggling with mathematics at school? Perhaps you could talk with your teacher about how you made your mistakes in those past tests and learn not to make them again. Have you considered getting a tutor if necessary for you? Remember, you're responsible for the performance of your exams and nobody else. I have faith you can work hard and get an A in your mathematics report this year. Perseverance is key.
Thanks Demento1, but do you really think that it is still possible for me to get an A even with my horrible topic test and exam marks?

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Just try to do your best to achieve higher marks for the upcoming tests, hand in your homework every time etc that adds up to your report. You can still possibly get an A even if it isn't possible still try your hardest to get the best result. It's only term 1, there's still 3 more terms of year 10 for you, and subject selections come in term 4. Just do as good as you can and then you should be able to do MX1/2U but it depends on your school if you do poorly then they might not allow/want you to do MX1/2U If so then bring your parents since school's are scared of angry parents but try to get into MX1/2U without being told no from the teachers since then you'll be better prepared if you do well in year 10.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Just try to do your best to achieve higher marks for the upcoming tests, hand in your homework every time etc that adds up to your report. You can still possibly get an A even if it isn't possible still try your hardest to get the best result. It's only term 1, there's still 3 more terms of year 10 for you, and subject selections come in term 4. Just do as good as you can and then you should be able to do MX1/2U but it depends on your school if you do poorly then they might not allow/want you to do MX1/2U If so then bring your parents since school's are scared of angry parents but try to get into MX1/2U without being told no from the teachers since then you'll be better prepared if you do well in year 10.
Thanks for the advice :)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Like what EpikHigh said, some schools will not restrict you from doing 2U maths or advanced english and their extensions regardless of your marks, but other schools will only let a select few do the advanced and extension subjects. So if it is your aim to get in those higher subjects, best to concentrate a bit more on english and maths this year.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Thanks Demento1, but do you really think that it is still possible for me to get an A even with my horrible topic test and exam marks?
How does your school give out As to students? Do they like tell you get over 85% or something? You've lost approximately 8% in your report so far, which means you can still potentially get a mark of 92% maximum which is still very good. Just ensure you get 90+ in the rest of your exams and I'm quite sure you will get an A.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Uhh, reasonably well I guess? Up to my usual consistent standard.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
How does your school give out As to students? Do they like tell you get over 85% or something? You've lost approximately 8% in your report so far, which means you can still potentially get a mark of 92% maximum which is still very good. Just ensure you get 90+ in the rest of your exams and I'm quite sure you will get an A.
Wow. I thought I lost a lot more :)

Do you mind sharing how you worked it out?

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
^same but i hate history more :( whyyyy did I choose elective history as well :cry: one year down one year to go

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I think basically everybody regular on BOS already knows where I go so it doesn't hurt to say. Sydney grammar.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Wow. I thought I lost a lot more :)

Do you mind sharing how you worked it out?
Sure, you know the weightings which you mentioned earlier for your topic tests and assignments? Both topic tests were 5% from what I recall and the assignment you did was worth 20%.

Now, your marks were something like 50, 15 and 96 respectively. So you work out how much is 50% of 5, 85% of 5 and 4% of 20 (bearing in mind the fact that i'm finding how much percentage you've lost of each test). Then, if you punch in those calculations, you get approximately 8% lost out of the 100.

deswa1

HSC
Except that he said that he also got under 60% in his T1 exam which had a 20% weighting. Just making a general comment though, don't worry about your grade. For example, last year (Year 11), no one in my year got an A for english and this is at a selective school. The most important thing in junior years is building a solid foundation, especially so in subjects like maths. Therefore I don't think you should be worried too much about getting the required marks to do MX1 (because angry parents accomplish a lot). Rather, make sure you really understand year 9 and 10 maths properly and then the marks will flow naturally from that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)