1st year court report (1 Viewer)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
yeh so for 1st year, we have this court report to write and the task asks us to write about our court experience, comparing and contrasting the two courts we visit.

Just wondering from other law students, how do I go about writing this court report so it doesn't sound like a narrative or recount? like how to make it more academic?

what specific issues must I discuss? so I know I have to compare and contrast the two courts... so does that mean to talk about the different proceedings of the court? e.g. what the court does to sentence a person? what the judges say or wear or something?

would I need to use other sources in my report such as quotes from lawyers and stuff?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
It's meant to be easy. It's basically a recount of what you saw in court and give some short opinion on what you think of it and some comparison. Prehaps how the outlay of the court in the supreme court and local court intimidate the defendant...or even how quickly the proceedings go. You don't have to repeat what the sentence is or what the judge said unless it is something of interest and you want to comment on it.

Generally you will not need to do any extra research. I cited a few crap from my prescibed textbook just to look cool but since it is a court report you don't really need any of that.

Basically this is just your oppotunity to feel the glamour of being a law student before the shininess fades, so just have fun :D and from recollection it is just worth 10% so who cares.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
When do I start it? I didn't do legal studies for HSC, can't differentiate the type of courts and don't know how to cite or reference. Do I wait till we cover some of these basics in class first or do individual research/learning?

enoilgam

HSC
When do I start it? I didn't do legal studies for HSC, can't differentiate the type of courts and don't know how to cite or reference. Do I wait till we cover some of these basics in class first or do individual research/learning?
I'm not sure if you need referencing that much for this type of assignment, but if you do you are expected to learn it on your own as they dont really teach it to you per se (you dont learn about this at all in legal studies). Here is a link to the AGLC guide http://mulr.law.unimelb.edu.au/files/aglcdl.pdf. You could probably wait until you learn about the courts in class, although its not that difficult to learn on your own. There are only four basic levels of courts and it is pretty get to two of them. You probably have a local court in your area, and there is a district court in Downing street near Museum station if I'm not mistaken.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I have that Melbourne Law Review citation guide (Aerath linked me). I haven't read it though - I should get onto to it tomorrow. :)
The district court seems a viable option for me, thanks.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
You can do it anytime, but at least wait until the assignment is actually out on blackboard. You don't need to know anything, just write it as if you are a layman.

Yeah I have that Melbourne Law Review citation guide (Aerath linked me).
FYI, don't read it as if it's a book. It basically just tells you the format of citing sources (i.e. when to use italic, in what order to put the case name, year, court..etc.). The way to use it is, whenever you need to cite something, say, a newspaper article, you should goto the content, then look for "newspaper articles", then flip that to page, and simply follow the format in your citation.

You basically won't need it until second year (assuming you are doing combined law).

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
dont worry too much. It isn't really testing you on your knowledge of the legal system. It is rather used to determine your critical writing skills as well as linking course materials to what you observe at court. Are there any similarities to what you have learnt? Are the any differences? etc.

For this court report you can just visit the Downing Centre to compare two courts. Ground level contains district courts and if I remember correctly Level 4 and 5 contain local courts.

enoilgam

HSC
FYI, don't read it as if it's a book. It basically just tells you the format of citing sources (i.e. when to use italic, in what order to put the case name, year, court..etc.). The way to use it is, whenever you need to cite something, say, a newspaper article, you should goto the content, then look for "newspaper articles", then flip that to page, and simply follow the format in your citation.
I probably should have included this in my previous post, the AGLC is just something you refer to when doing referencing - you dont need to read through it or memorise it (although a few years into the degree, you will probably have mastered most of it anyway).

acemusic415

HSC
I'm still confused as to what they expect? Is it just general comments on different and similarities between two courts? Do I state whether it is a summons, committal hearing etc etc?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Is it just general comments on different and similarities between two courts?
You can talk about that. You don't have to talk about that.
There will be a list of talkable topics when you receive your assignment, that should give you a general idea.

Do I state whether it is a summons, committal hearing etc etc?
I am a 4th year and I don't even know what a committal hearing or a summon look like. Like I said, you're expected to write like a layman. Treat it like a high school excursion recount.

jkli

HSC
N/A
same here! i'm a first year studying law at unsw too... and I'm finding it extremely difficult to START this assignment. People keep saying it's easy and such but I really have no idea as to what to write about and how to set it out . Anyone kind enough to send me a sample? :D:D jks. but please help :( what topics is the most versatile to discuss ?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
you can write about anything essentially as you are not writing as a law student, meaning you are just writing whatever you observe. It is preferable if you can link stuff with your course materials and then critical analyse it e.g. textbook says this but the opposite happens in court. Could imply the lack of efficiency of the courts. Something along those lines but those exact phrasing.

I got pinned down last year for not having enough references to my course material and linking it with my observation, although I did get a 6 or was it a 6.5 out of 10. That could be just my lecturer though...

jkli

HSC
N/A
how much detail do i write about the case? some of them are so long ...and sometimes i go in halfway so i don't even know what people are getting charged for. is this normal or am i just stupid and i should question my legitimacy of being a law student.?.... --

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I went into some cases halfway but asked friends for clarification of what occurred. I think its more about forming an argument based on what you've learnt so far and supported by court observations than a description/recount.

Last edited:

Pyrobooby

HSC
Is there a certain format in which we have to hand in this report (font, font size, etc)?

Furthermore, is there a general format in which we have to hand in any types of essays or reports at UNSW?

I remember reading something about this but I can't find anything on the matter.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, there is a format (spacing, margin and single paged). The report must be handed in with a cover sheet, which can be obtained from Law Counter Lvl 2 or on our website.

Pyrobooby

HSC
Yes, there is a format (spacing, margin and single paged). The report must be handed in with a cover sheet, which can be obtained from Law Counter Lvl 2 or on our website.
Sorry to bother you, but can you tell me where this can be found? Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)