$200 CityRail Penalty Appeal HELP (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying

HSC
Hey there,

I received an on the spot $200 fine from CityRail. I bought a ticket from a station - Single, One way, City Circle. I planned on getting off at Station X and did. A CityRail officer came up to me and checked my ticket. I told them that I didn't realise Station X was not part of the City Circle. They said thats fine. However, what I received the fine for, was for not having a proof of eligibility as I had bought a concession. I am 18 and had my drivers license. Whenever I catch a train I always press concession because I am a student and 18 and I was not aware that I have to have a specific concession card, I thought that a license is adequate. Also, this was my genuine mistake as Sydney ticket machines have a message on the bottom left hand of the machine telling what card I need - something which I just found out, after many years of catching trains. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Cityrail_Ticket_Vending_Machine.jpg)

When purchasing the ticket, I thought to myself - where is the adult button?

There are four options when selecting the ticket type:

Pensioner/Senior Citizen
Child under 16
Student/Apprentice
Others entitled to half fare

I selected Student/Apprentice - because that is what I am. However, a day after this happened my mate told me that there is no adult button, and that if I leave it - the machine will automatically select adult. Even though I have been catching Sydney trains for a very long time - I always used my student school pass and whenever I wasn't going to and from school I always selected concession.

I understand that it is up to me to be aware of the rules of buying a concession card, however what I did was a completely genuine mistake - I have been catching trains nearly every single day for 9 years and did not realise.

I am going to appeal it because it was a genuine mistake. If my appeal is rejected, I guess I will have to pay.

Is there any way I am able to twist the story or just explain how it was a mistake? I know that if I say it was a genuine mistake, they will still most probably fine me.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
You need a lawyer son.

But seriously man i'm not sure there's anything you can do. You can't have the excuse of ignorance. (ie that you didn't know that concession cards are the only valid forms of id) (that i know of, i might be wrong).
Usually you're let off without a fine but this guy must have been harsh.

Sorry.

Flying

HSC
You need a lawyer son.

But seriously man i'm not sure there's anything you can do. You can't have the excuse of ignorance. (ie that you didn't know that concession cards are the only valid forms of id) (that i know of, i might be wrong).
Usually you're let off without a fine but this guy must have been harsh.

Sorry.
Thank you for responding.

Sorry, I meant fine not penalty.

Also, they put the wrong street name on the notice. A street that does exist in my neighborhood, with a couples letters of difference. Does this make it invalid?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is there any way I am able to twist the story .
I don't like this attitude. It will get you into a whole heap of trouble.

Pay the $200 fine, move on, and make sure to bring a concession (or student card for USYD) around whenever you use public transport.

Lesson learned.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Thank you for responding.

Sorry, I meant fine not penalty.

Also, they put the wrong street name on the notice. A street that does exist in my neighborhood, with a couples letters of difference. Does this make it invalid?
Yeah i think you should tell the authorities about the confusion with the street name.

Also not sure if it goes on your permanent record lol. But either way don't worry too much about this. Not like you shot someone or something haha. :)

bladeys

HSC
N/A
have been catching trains nearly every single day for 9 years and did not realise.

I am going to appeal it because it was a genuine mistake. If my appeal is rejected, I guess I will have to pay.
Tough luck mate, Cityrail will say how can you make a mistake like that if youve been catching trains for 9 years.

Thats like a driver saying "Hey ive been driving for 9 years now but I didnt know that I couldnt drive more than 60kmph in areas where I see a sign with a red circle around the number 60"

mash121

HSC
ok firstly it will not go on ur permanent record, secondly if u do not pay it then they will make u pay an extra $100 on top. there is no point in trying to appeal it because either they will think ur lying and that u did know and didnt have ur concession (i am not doubting u but the judge will) or they do not care for your ignorance since it says on the machine that u must carry a proof of concessions at all time. i am not 100% sure but if u r found guilty after u try to appeal the charge u might have to pay an extra fee on top of the fine. in my honest opinion just pay it off and leave it behind u because the chance u would get away with it is nearly 0 unless the judge is really empathic which i doubt

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Also as your username is 'Flying', WHY DID YOU TAKE THE TRAIN

SunnyScience

HSC
I think you will be fined.
As seen on the image you tagged it says the conditions of getting a student consession card.
However, if you really want to you can argue lack of public awareness of the conditions, confusing conditions unsuited for those legible for concession cards etc. and request that you have your complaints sent to a higher part of cityrail.

These types of tactics have worked for friends of mine with phone bills, computer problems etc. etc.

Try if you like, ignore if you don't :)

gl.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Appeal it! It cant hurt.
They will usually ask you to provide proof that you have a concession card within a certain amount of days and if it is valid, you should be fine.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you will be fined.
As seen on the image you tagged it says the conditions of getting a student consession card.
However, if you really want to you can argue lack of public awareness of the conditions, confusing conditions unsuited for those legible for concession cards etc. and request that you have your complaints sent to a higher part of cityrail.

These types of tactics have worked for friends of mine with phone bills, computer problems etc. etc.

Try if you like, ignore if you don't :)

gl.
These things don't typically work with government bodies. Your friend was dealing with a business and they're more likely to cut a deal to make sure that they keep a customer.

HSC
Just a question, Where you wearing school uniform? Cityrail are not meant to check students in uniform.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
I haven't read everything yet but

do you have a concession card? I heard that if you show your concession card to them after you get fined, they will revoke the fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)