2008 HSC School Rankings (1 Viewer)

zstar

HSC
N/A
Re: Top 200 Schools - Daily Telegraph

lol my old school sucks balls yet again, They're not even on the list.

I'm so glad I don't go to that shithole.

loler

HSC

lilredelmo said:
50!!!Yeah

Does MFIS have some restriction too on moving into yr 11.
I remember a quote from the headmaster a few years back when MFIS jumped in rankings.He BOASTED that if results in School Certificate were not in top 2 bands student either had to repeat or leave!Is this still true??
top 3 actually

HSC

we were in the top 200 last year but not this year. not a great surprise, really. i wonder what our rank was though... i tried searching the website for all the ranks but couldn't find anything.

bheck7

Don't shoot the messenger
HSC

yussssss kiama high totally got 155th. yay for public schools.

lilredelmo

HSC

loler said:
top 3 actually
Really..
So a really fantastic kid who is a devout Islam and contributes heaps to the school and local community but just happens to be "academically" challenged is booted!!
Seems harsh..I thought that religous schools and communities cared for and nurtured all the members of the faith.A valuable lesson to the cohort in tolerance,understanding and patience.NAAH>>YOUR DUMB AND WORTHLESS AND YOUR PEERS AND LEADERS ARE CHUCKING YOU OUT!!
OK I understand all groups have dipsticks who don't try BUT surely a student who gave there all and was still Band 2 deserves a place!!OHH But that might make them look bad..
HOW CARING AND COMPASSIONATE!I thought we were past the days of rejecting the weak..obviously not all groups are.I find this sad and not in the "spirit" of religion or a school community.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

Wow, quite a big drop for Fort Street (alas!). I wonder what the main factor accounting for it is.

jaaaaay

HSC

HGHS 5th again...

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC

haha lol. my skool sux big time. We had no distinguished achievers & only got 8 band 6s (and we have 84 students lol)

PoisedTiger007

HSC

Does MFIS have some restriction too on moving into yr 11.
I remember a quote from the headmaster a few years back when MFIS jumped in rankings.He BOASTED that if results in School Certificate were not in top 2 bands student either had to repeat or leave!Is this still true??
Hi, I'm in MFIS going to Yr 11.
The main restrictions are in moving from yr 10 to 11. Thats where most of the students get kicked out.
In moving from 10 to 11, there is a decider exam sat in the 4th term by the two yr10 classes - a boys' and a girls'. This year the bottom 10 of each class were taken out to be placed in an ordinary year 11 class, whereas the rest are placed in the Advanced class, which dives straight into the HSC from day 1. I'm relieved I made it into the top class, thank God.

I neither agree or disagree with the school's system. But I'll tell you this: if you have the willpower and determination to study and score high marks, you are guaranteed safety. If you want to muck around it is not your place.

bear17

HSC

Northholm Grammar -95th! First time in top 200:headbang:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Article highlighting some problems with the achievers lists and thus the way rankings are calculated

Schools 'exploit' students, subjects in HSC race

SCHOOLS are "disposing" of poor performing students and encouraging Higher School Certificate candidates to take easier subjects to manipulate the way HSC results are reported and their school is ranked in league tables.

Each year the Herald ranks schools based on the percentage of students who score above 90 in their subjects, using data provided by the NSW Board of Studies.

Teachers and principals have told the Herald that students are being encouraged to take easier subjects to exploit the way the results of top students are scaled and reported.

The former head of the NSW Secondary Principals Council, Chris Bonnor, said competition between schools had also led to sifting of "preferred enrolments". Apart from using fees, scholarships and interviews, some schools had quietly disposed of "liabilities".

One public school principal told the Herald that two students from Malek Fahd Islamic School had sought enrolment at the public school just weeks before the HSC examinations began in October. Despite having paid the full year's fees, the students had been forced out of the private school because they were not expected to score 90 or above in their subjects. [...]

joelef

HSC

xMrRand0m said:
Wow. Is it me or can you not see Patrician Brothers' College Fairfield? Do we really suck that bad? =P
you must

osamaelias

HSC
N/A

Rafy said:
Article highlighting some problems with the achievers lists and thus the way rankings are calculated

Schools 'exploit' students, subjects in HSC race
That is exactly what happens , sorry to pop into the party , but Malek Fahad has always been like this, nothing new. Its their right , dont act well enough? tc go find a school. No one is un-able to , its that they dont try. Im sure you get the picture.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad

well they do pay a hell of a lot in school fees right? Only fair they expect the best of their students.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC

LOL our schools not even on the list (Pats B'town)
shouldnt be surprised though, we came 393rd last year...
i hope we beat fairfield this year :D

sydneyyy

HSC

woohoo 4th :) dropped one place though..

PoisedTiger007

HSC

well they do pay a hell of a lot in school fees right? Only fair they expect the best of their students
We actually don't. The average annual fee is like $1300.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)