2009 Macquarie Uni Offers / General Chatter (1 Viewer)

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
Re: 2009 Macquarie Uni Offers

yeh we've only accepted our offers, but we havn't enrolled in our course yet.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Well i have the form and i was going to hand it in on the 2nd of Feb since i'll be there anyway. it says to hand it in by the 4th.

Is there anyone i can email to check if i can get credit for these subjects before i hand in my form?
They don't do it pre-actively, and make sure you get as much information about your courses done, so that you can make a decent case for it 'matching' up so to speak with the Macquarie equivalents.

kylieee

myspace.com/_attitude
HSC

for my 2nd semester, am i able to enrol in like, accounting units ONLY? or does
it got to be 4 different ones? :S

also. can i do the same units for BOTH semester? im not saying all, but some maybe?

xsavagex

HSC

^ if you pass one in first semester theres no need to do it again?

xsavagex

HSC

They don't do it pre-actively, and make sure you get as much information about your courses done, so that you can make a decent case for it 'matching' up so to speak with the Macquarie equivalents.
hrmm i dont really understand..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

for my 2nd semester, am i able to enrol in like, accounting units ONLY? or does
it got to be 4 different ones? :S

also. can i do the same units for BOTH semester? im not saying all, but some maybe?

You can enrol in whatever you want, its really up to you. The issue is will those subjects help you fulfill the requirements for graduating in your chosen course or accreditted program?

This is what the academic advising is there for, so make sure you make good use of it :)

Also no you can't keep doing the same units unless you've failed them or got a PC or need a higher grade for future units or something like that.
hrmm i dont really understand..
There's no hard-fast rule that says doing X subject at M university is equivalent to doing Y subject at N university in most cases, because of the different pacings/curriculum/focus/teaching staff/ideology etc of the courses around Australia. This may not be so much an issue if you were doing a CPA approved course or something similar, which can be matched to ACCG units quite easily, but you still need to submit the form to be considered for Credit.

Because of the work involved in trying to match units up, they do not do this before you submit your application, and therefore no one here can tell you if you will be approved for your units, only they can after you submit your form :)

Last edited:

kylieee

myspace.com/_attitude
HSC

^ if you pass one in first semester theres no need to do it again?
but how do u know u will pass? cos you have to choose units for both semesters now..

jellybelly08

HSC

lol why would you want to repeat subjects (unless you failed 1st time)? You only get the credit points once no matter how many times you repeat.

jellybelly08

HSC

but how do u know u will pass? cos you have to choose units for both semesters now..
2nd sem units aren't finalised. You are given a chance to change them in the holidays before sem2.

xsavagex

HSC

With the whole getting credit for old subjects, if i hand in my form and find out that the subjects dont count, can i do units with 100 code in my 2nd year or second semester if they're offered? like i dont have to do all 100 ones now unless i need them for something else.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

With the whole getting credit for old subjects, if i hand in my form and find out that the subjects dont count, can i do units with 100 code in my 2nd year or second semester if they're offered? like i dont have to do all 100 ones now unless i need them for something else.
No, the 100/200/300 levels aren't restricted to your 'year' of progression, they're merely there to symbolise levels.

pablito

HSC

i got my credit for previous study form back in the mail today. they granted me 23cp at 100 level and 0cp at 200 level.

this is roughly how they calculate it:

a student with an incomplete degree at University of NSW who has completed 48 credit points in his/her degree (out of the overall UNSW requirement of 144 credit points), will have that 48cp converted to an equivalent figure based on the Macquarie credit point requirement (normally 68cp but some degrees are 72cp in total, Law by itself is 74cp). In our example, the student’s entitlement would be:

23 credit points, calculated thus _48_ x 68 = 23cp
http://www.reg.mq.edu.au/Undergrad/admissions/newstudents/cps2008.pdf
although i am about to do law, i think they only considered the BA or i.e 68cp
and that's precisely why i transferred into an arts/law program, rather then a more specialized combination. In the letter they sent me it stated:

If you are enrolled in a generic degree (i.e not a prescribed program) like BA or BCom, in most cases, all or of your general credit may be applied. However if you are enrolled in a structured degree program with required (compulsory) units like Bcom- Accounting or B Engineering, you will need to complete all the required units unless you are granted exemptions for these units from prior studies. if your are not awarded exemptions for the required units then the credit can be applied to elective (unspecified) units where allowed by your program
just some pointers to think about if you just transferred into Mac or thinking of doing so.

the next step is seeking exemptions for various units, using the credit i have.

Snooty

HSC

Question - If applying for exemptions, do we need to go on our course specified academic advising date, or just on the 13th (the date for people applying for exemptions --> Macquarie University)

pablito

HSC

good question. I am trying to find out myself. dropped in an email to the student center, but have not received an answer just yet - they are rightfully busy this time of year.

in some institutions your enroll before, then get your exemptions/cps sorted out later.

but it seems to me we just rock up on the 13th, and complete everything then including our enrollment. the problem is we cant exactly complete our program of study without first knowing what exemptions are granted to us. I shall let you know when i get more details.

xsavagex

HSC

Ok so if i'm trying to get exemptions does that mean i turn up on the 2nd (my day of enrolmen) and the 13th. or just one? i cant really do the 13th so cant i just send in my form for the exemption, and go to the enrolment on the 2nd?

pablito

HSC

Ok so if i'm trying to get exemptions does that mean i turn up on the 2nd (my day of enrolmen) and the 13th. or just one? i cant really do the 13th so cant i just send in my form for the exemption, and go to the enrolment on the 2nd?
unfortunately the exemptions process seems to be a tedious bureaucratic exercise, where you will have to show up in person on the 13th, receive academic advising and converse with an exemptions officer. everything seems to be done on the spot, and will probably require hours of discussion with all the various departmental officers.

it might be best to ring, and ask. alternatively there are arrangements for people who can not make their enrollment dates.

xsavagex

HSC

ah well thats a pain.

if i went on the 2nd for my enrolement, that would mean that on the 13th i'd just be there to get exemptions right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)