2014 Fifa World Cup thread (1 Viewer)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
'bad' is the understatement of the century
there have been far worse performances lol

granted it was a very bad performance but it's easy to blame the keeper for what was ultimately a shit day for the entire spanish team

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
The Dutch have some serious form... hopefully they can get their first cup... always had a soft spot for the Dutch rangas... (I call them that because they wear orange... :lol:)

If Australia can play a game and not get yellow or red carded for once, that would be great... they are so fucking aggro when they play... fair effort though, at least they scored a goal... A few really, really, really good chances for Australia as well... seems like a promising future for Australian futbal! (yes, it's fucking football, not soccer!)

Last edited:

buriza

conviction
HSC
so we'll put his five goals conceded down to "bad form" then?
I usually don't get involved in football discussions but I believe the point of Mak's post was to highlight that Casillas has been a consistent and fruitful goalkeeper for many years

I could then say to you, so we'll apply his bad form in one match to his whole career? okay m8

'bad' is the understatement of the century
doesn't change Kiraken's point that it was a bad match

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
ok to clarify

"casillas"-ing it, is taking a poor touch so that a forward can pretty much tackle you off the ball and poke it into an empty net

'casillas'-ing it is also being dribbled around and then giving up afterward and just ball-watching as it flies into the net

Yeah he's a good goalkeeper and he had an absolutely terrible match, but he still made some good saves when it was 5-1.

Anyway, the defence as a whole went to sleep. They're to blame, if you -really- want to blame someone.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
ok to clarify

"casillas"-ing it, is taking a poor touch so that a forward can pretty much tackle you off the ball and poke it into an empty net

'casillas'-ing it is also being dribbled around and then giving up afterward and just ball-watching as it flies into the net

Yeah he's a good goalkeeper and he had an absolutely terrible match, but he still made some good saves when it was 5-1.

Anyway, the defence as a whole went to sleep. They're to blame, if you -really- want to blame someone.
also the midfield defs didn't execute at all this match so they are to blame too, as i said, spain didn't really have any standout performances from what i saw that would be safe from criticism

also the "casillas"ing stuff has been done and done worse by other keepers in the past and that goal involving robben, whilst it looked silly, you couldn't really blame casillas for it when it was really more a matter of the defence being in complete shambles during that play

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It happened like four times in the course of one match. Once is inexplicable already.

Makematics

HSC
why the fuck would you label him on something he did once. yes ok he fucked up in the UCL final, but he has been an outstanding keeper for his whole career. also are you forgetting that they were in wet conditions or???

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
why the fuck would you label him on something he did once. yes ok he fucked up in the UCL final, but he has been an outstanding keeper for his whole career. also are you forgetting that they were in wet conditions or???
y so srs

Though if he did slip because of the 'wet' conditions, didn't seem to affect Robben...

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
It happened like four times in the course of one match. Once is inexplicable already.
no it didn't?

first van persie goal was just a phenomenal header (brace yourselves, the superman memes are coming)
first robben goal was not his fault either
vries goal was defs not his fault
2nd van persie goal was
2nd robben goal made him look a bit silly but in reality wasn't his fault either

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
I honestly believe the "tiki-taka" is the best tactic to use in world football. The problem that Spain and Barcelona have become is that it isn't the system or the style but the players. In Barcelona players pass the ball around but there is no movement or no runs in behind the defense. Barcelona players like to play in-front of the teams defense and it makes the system look stale. You see under Tata (obviously he's gone) how the team is playing with vertical play and making more runs behind the defense. That is why last season Barcelona have scored more goals in the first half of their campaign. People also have to realize that tiki-taka needs one extra component to make it useful. Total football. Players not having a base position.

This is why it is so easy to park the bus against the tiki-taka. Remember the goals vs Madrid in the 5-0 win? The first goal who scored it? Xavi and I think the commentator said it best "Xavi in the center forward position." Now a days its usually just Messi and Cesc in the box only, thus making it easy to mark them. Making a surprising run into the center of the box can unlock even the tightest of defense now because the two CB's are occupied. Now someone is open. Look at the Milan game, in the 1st leg there was no one in the box and the Milan CB's had a relatively easy night. In the 2nd leg Villa occupied the two CB's and that caused them problems and that opened up space and we won the match 4-0. No movement causes the system to look really weak, and Barcelona became so dependent on Messi that they don't even look to move around much. For Spain, they just lack a striker. If they get a proper striker then Spain will look like the Spain of 2008-2012.

The problem is never the passing in the tiki-taka or the rhythm of the match. I prefer fast tempo, but slow tempo can also work as effectively if there is good movement. Slow tempo will cause the defense to lose concentration for a split second and with-in that second any movement or surprising run into the box can be picked out easily by the quality midfield Barcelona has. It is the movement into open spaces that team Barcelona and Spain lack badly. Bayern's total football (when they had jupp heynckes) is great but if you pass around them and make good movement you can pull out the defenders/midfielder out of position and open up space. Sorry for the long post lol. But people are not looking at what has really happened with the Barcelona of then and now. They have become tired and lack movement that is why rotation is so critical in a side like Barcelona. They play at least 2 matches every week for 10 months straight.
don't they have essentially the same strikers available to them as they did in that period though?

as mak talked about in nonsense though i found them playing costa rather than villa a bit strange

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
i think spain has also been hit pretty hard with the retirement of puyol and their defence has been a bit shaken up cos of that

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Yeah, costa was meant to give a direct outlet similar to alba and pedro who provide vertical movement but the former just didn't play well considering he had little experience internationally and that he was in the world cup, he would've had some nerves.
not to mention him playing for spain resulted in the brazilian crowd jeering him a hell of a lot

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
pretty sure it happened at least three times though

might be my memory but we'll see

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
also i confess to never having heard of daley blind before but his set-ups plus the execution of netherlands' attack was fantastic, if he keeps this up netherlands could go very far

crazy_paki123

HSC
RvP, LvG things looking good for a United fan, especially if we can land Blind too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)