2014'ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Any tips on how to sustain motivation?
Time management is useful in staying motivated, as many find it helps keep stress down and prevents you from becoming overwhelmed. For example, complete a 'to-do list' with tasks that you need to complete and tick them off as you go - this gives you a sense of self-satisfaction and increases your self confidence. Set a range of goals and dedicate a certain time of day/ week to do your work. Even if it just a chapter of an English text. A good idea, is to write a desired number on a note on your whiteboard, or where ever you see frequently. As you look at this number it motivates you to do your work/study to get this result. My CAFS teacher told me to do this and I am so close to my number of 93 it's exciting. I'm actually averaging 95- woo! It is important to socialize with friends, however too much may influence your decision. Ask for as much help from teachers as you can. Keep up to date and most importantly, NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF.
Good luck :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Time management is useful in staying motivated, as many find it helps keep stress down and prevents you from becoming overwhelmed. For example, complete a 'to-do list' with tasks that you need to complete and tick them off as you go - this gives you a sense of self-satisfaction and increases your self confidence. Set a range of goals and dedicate a certain time of day/ week to do your work. Even if it just a chapter of an English text. A good idea, is to write a desired number on a note on your whiteboard, or where ever you see frequently. As you look at this number it motivates you to do your work/study to get this result. My CAFS teacher told me to do this and I am so close to my number of 93 it's exciting. I'm actually averaging 95- woo! It is important to socialize with friends, however too much may influence your decision. Ask for as much help from teachers as you can. Keep up to date and most importantly, NEVER DOUBT YOURSELF.
Good luck :)
Very very good advice.

I used this in HS and I'm still doing it to this day.

In fact, my sheet is about 10cm from my right hand.

enoilgam

HSC
Here's a quote of a post I made a while ago:

With procrastination, you will procrastinate no matter what - it is a part of human behaviour. The key with procrastination is to manage it so that it doesnt become harmful. In order to do this, focus on the setting up your work in such a way that it encourages you to work harder. As mirakon has said before, the HSC is all about attitude. Break the work down into small achievable goals. If you achieve these small goals you will feel much more confident with work and this will increase your morale and motivation. Remember, the best way to defeat an enemy is to cut off their strategy - the worst way is to take them on head-on. Procrastination's strategy is like a snowball, the more you put off doing the work, the larger your workload becomes, thereby further crippling your desire to do the work. To beat it, you attack it's strategy and prevent the snowball from getting bigger by chipping away at the work.

There is an old saying which goes "it's easy to commit to an idea, but it's hard to commit to a process". To commit to the process of doing well, you need to focus on the work itself - having long term ATAR goals is all well and good, but they often fail to motivate people in the day to day process of studying.

I know it seems like I am talking shit, but I actually used this strategy and I found it to be highly effective.
In terms of the specifics, I think laura-jayne14 has a lot of good points as well. Similar to the whole "writing a goal list", I used to put all my maths past paper results into an excel document and graph the progress. It sounds weird, but it is quite motivating when you see your progression in that form.

Last edited:

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's a quote of a post I made a while ago:

In terms of the specifics, I think laura-jayne14 has a lot of good points as well. Similar to the whole "writing a goal list", I used to put all my maths past paper results into an excel document and graph the progress. It sounds weird, but it is quite motivating when you see your progression in that form.
Thanks :) I just finished a unit in my business certificate II on organizing and completing your work shedule. I thought it was silly at the time but it's been very useful. I think tracking progress is important too as it gives you an idea on where you need to improve.

Your welcome!

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, don't beat your self up too much if you don't get what you hoped - there are always opportunities to better yourself! :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lots of little goals and diversifying your study to make it less mundane. Self-incentives.

Very very good advice.

I used this in HS and I'm still doing it to this day.

In fact, my sheet is about 10cm from my right hand.
To-do lists are great, I should get more back into them to stay on top of the last few weeks of uni/exams.

QZP

HSC
Thanks for the tips. I like the to-do list with checkboxes; currently implementing it. :) Just need to find ways to vary my study blocks as I can foresee it becoming dull in the future.

Some days I am so tired after school (due to sports and what not) and I don't like feel like doing any work (which I want to do). Do I have to sacrifice? :(

watapple

HSC
you guys must feel special as 2014 is the last year to do belonging

enoilgam

HSC
you guys must feel special as 2014 is the last year to do belonging
It will probably be replaced by an equally charming topic to be honest.

Definitely... at least the teachers know the content really well. On the other hand, the markers might know it a bit too well.
Unrelated to your post, but I love that username.

turnthepageoftime

HSC
One of the teachers at my school said that at the moment our year is like freshly baked bread, eager for the start of a new year, but will soon go stale and be replaced this time next year. Quite possible the strangest and most awkward comment i've ever heard a teacher make. The silence that followed was excruciating.
Yeah, we got "You are not a number" "A number does not define your self worth".

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Is anyone else feeling like they're dying a little?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
So far all it feels like I've heard in English is the word 'belong'

Haruka

HSC
Got my preliminary English results back; 80% on the exam, which actually isn't too bad.

Agreed on the part about Belonging... we're all in for two terms hearing nothing but. Well, if we survived Journey, we can get through this too, right? Already started planning out my creative writing piece.

Could NOT study at all today because of the heat. Seriously, it killed my concentration. Let's hope tomorrow isn't so bad, because I need to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)