• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
HAHAHAHA! If you don't want to handle General Maths or Year 7 Maths where you're remembering formulas and substituting numbers in, Economics is definitely the most math-iest in comparison to Business Studies and Legal Studies, so I could see why you would want to avoid it :p

I must've done economics wrong because I can't remember there being much mathematics involved at all.
OMG. MY TEACHER. MAKES ME READ SO MANY STATISTICS, I NEED TO SELF-STUDY THE CONTENT. THIS HOLIDAYS. ASAP.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
HAHAHAHA! If you don't want to handle General Maths or Year 7 Maths where you're remembering formulas and substituting numbers in, Economics is definitely the most math-iest in comparison to Business Studies and Legal Studies, so I could see why you would want to avoid it :p

OMG. MY TEACHER. MAKES ME READ SO MANY STATISTICS, I NEED TO SELF-STUDY THE CONTENT. THIS HOLIDAYS. ASAP.
there's math in legal? I did legal (dropped it before trials) and I don't remember any math haha

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Why is your career goal defined by your parents?
I just saw this. So...

My mum forced me to take Accelerated Business Studies in Year 8 (for Year 9 and 10 subject selections). Tbh, she forced me to take a lot of subjects that she saw "useful" and rejected a lot of "useless" subjects that I was interested in. And I guess even though I hated Preliminary Business, I eventually grew to love it when I was doing the HSC course and identified that Humanities were my strength.

By then, I already knew I wasn't very into Marketing and Human Resources (although my mum probably doesn't know I can actually make decisions) so I already aimed for Commerce to do Finance. (Or Actuarial, if I can really smash the HSC, very unlikely) My dad owns a small business and works with a lot of bigger companies so he knows a lot of people who work in Finance. And so thats when my mum really began "deciding" by saying I should be doing Finance because what fuels her is the monetary gains from that career.
This controlling nature struck again in Year 10 when I was picking Year 11/12 subjects. And honestly by then, I picked subjects that I knew I could abuse because they were my strengths, but I feel like my mum just lives vicariously through me.
And I guess being their child, it has grown onto me and I never rebelled to it. My younger sister is a different case apparently, because the same expectations aren't placed on her as she gets to pick all these arty subjects which were deemed useless when I was her age.

Why? I guess I could say its because I want their respect, and to rebel would be trying to gain independence when I can't even pay for my own necessities.

TLDR; Asian. Mum is controlling. Most things I've done have been defined by her. I don't rebel. I don't really mind anymore.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
I just saw this. So...

My mum forced me to take Accelerated Business Studies in Year 8 (for Year 9 and 10 subject selections). Tbh, she forced me to take a lot of subjects that she saw "useful" and rejected a lot of "useless" subjects that I was interested in. And I guess even though I hated Preliminary Business, I eventually grew to love it when I was doing the HSC course and identified that Humanities were my strength.

By then, I already knew I wasn't very into Marketing and Human Resources (although my mum probably doesn't know I can actually make decisions) so I already aimed for Commerce to do Finance. (Or Actuarial, if I can really smash the HSC, very unlikely) My dad owns a small business and works with a lot of bigger companies so he knows a lot of people who work in Finance. And so thats when my mum really began "deciding" by saying I should be doing Finance because what fuels her is the monetary gains from that career.
This controlling nature struck again in Year 10 when I was picking Year 11/12 subjects. And honestly by then, I picked subjects that I knew I could abuse because they were my strengths, but I feel like my mum just lives vicariously through me.
And I guess being their child, it has grown onto me and I never rebelled to it. My younger sister is a different case apparently, because the same expectations aren't placed on her as she gets to pick all these arty subjects which were deemed useless when I was her age.

Why? I guess I could say its because I want their respect, and to rebel would be trying to gain independence when I can't even pay for my own necessities.

TLDR; Asian. Mum is controlling. Most things I've done have been defined by her. I don't rebel. I don't really mind anymore.
That's fair enough. If you are happy with whatever you want to do then that's all it matters. :)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Oi wll chill the fuck out. I swear all your posts are in caps lock, its like i know whos posting without looking at the username

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Oi wll chill the fuck out. I swear all your posts are in caps lock, its like i know whos posting without looking at the username
I GOT MY BAND 6. I DIDN'T FAIL.

[16/12/2015 6:26:16 PM] nicole: But yeah.
[16/12/2015 6:26:18 PM] nicole: Umh.
[16/12/2015 6:26:20 PM] nicole: My goal
[16/12/2015 6:26:24 PM] nicole: To make myself feel better
[16/12/2015 6:26:27 PM] nicole: Was to get into UNSW and beat [NAME]
[16/12/2015 6:26:29 PM] nicole: But amg.
[16/12/2015 6:26:33 PM] nicole: That's not even a challenge anymore.
[16/12/2015 6:26:34 PM] nicole: LOL

Sorry. Ex-girlfriend salt is so bad.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
That's fair enough. If you are happy with whatever you want to do then that's all it matters. :)
Yeah. I mean. I always question why my mum does this, especially in Physics as I struggle with the subject she insisted I do, so at least I got the conscience and is not a complete robot.
I guess she's "looking out" for me and guiding me. But honestly, I think I could've gotten to UNSW with a much smoother and less stressful journey if I picked my own subjects.

Last edited:

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I GOT MY BAND 6. I DIDN'T FAIL.

[16/12/2015 6:26:16 PM] nicole: But yeah.
[16/12/2015 6:26:18 PM] nicole: Umh.
[16/12/2015 6:26:20 PM] nicole: My goal
[16/12/2015 6:26:24 PM] nicole: To make myself feel better
[16/12/2015 6:26:27 PM] nicole: Was to get into UNSW and beat [NAME]
[16/12/2015 6:26:29 PM] nicole: But amg.
[16/12/2015 6:26:33 PM] nicole: That's not even a challenge anymore.
[16/12/2015 6:26:34 PM] nicole: LOL

Sorry. Ex-girlfriend salt is so bad.
hahahahahaha

turntaker

HSC
Yeah. I mean. I always question why my mum does this, especially in Physics as I struggle with the subject she insisted I do, so at least I got the conscience and is not a complete robot.
I guess she's "looking out" for me and guiding me. But honestly, I think I could've gotten to UNSW with a much smoother and less stressful journey if I picked my own subjects.
Do you want to study commerce though?
Also do you like most of your subjects?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Do you want to study commerce though?
Also do you like most of your subjects?
Oh yeah! Definitely, I really enjoyed Business. Initially, I was interested in Law, but the ATAR itself is so difficult, that I went for my "second" route which was Commerce. I actually made that decision but then my mum always pressures me to be in Finance because she hears people having high 6 digit salaries.

Hm. I do like most of my subjects. I really enjoy Physics but most of the time, it becomes confusing and what frustrates me the most are the marks I get compared to the other students, which internally threatens my UNSW dreams.

What frustrates me even more is that they focus on scaling sooooo much. My mum talked at the family dinner table as if it was a disappointment that I achieved a Band 6 with a "mediocre" 90-something. My assessment mark didn't change so basically my marks were pretty much as close to my performance already. I think she needs to understand that 70-something %s in Physics will not give me a Band 6. Whereas a 90-something in Business or Legal will stick around that region.

Last edited:

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
Oh yeah! Definitely, I really enjoyed Business. Initially, I was interested in Law, but the ATAR itself is so difficult, that I went for my "second" route which was Commerce. I actually made that decision but then my mum always pressures me to be in Finance because she hears people having high 6 digit salaries.

Hm. I do like most of my subjects. I really enjoy Physics but most of the time, it becomes confusing and what frustrates me the most are the marks I get compared to the other students, which internally threatens my UNSW dreams.
lol @ me in teaching... wot 6 digit salary
jk I will make head teacher by 35 or die

leehuan

HSC

What frustrates me even more is that they focus on scaling sooooo much. My mum talked at the family dinner table as if it was a disappointment that I achieved a Band 6 with a "mediocre" 90-something. My assessment mark didn't change so basically my marks were pretty much as close to my performance already. I think she needs to understand that 70-something %s in Physics will not give me a Band 6. Whereas a 90-something in Business or Legal will stick around that region.
I told you, feel free to drop by for physics anytime lol :p

turntaker

HSC

Yeah scaling is a bit overrated tbh. Also you can get a 6 digit salary with most degrees if you are good at what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)