• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2017ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simorgh

HSC
I got back my Maths test last week which were much worse than I had expected, which I poorly studied for and was instead paying more attention during that time to other subjects like English and Chem which I had tests for all in the same week. I was a total smart aleck thinking I would ace this exam without much preparation and revision. Got proven wrong big time.

I finally learnt my big lesson, as they all say Maths is all about Practice and Practice over again which I never paid heed to. Without revision, or doing heaps of past papers and questions from the books you're going to be nowhere in Math whether it be 2 Unit or 3 Unit. You can easily get away in subjects like Modern History and English. Maths is Maths where you need more time, especially need to study in a long duration and not cramming just a day before an exam.

This was my mistake, on top of that being disorganised and lacking time management skills.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I got back my Maths test back last week which were much worse than I had expected, which I poorly studied for and was instead paying more attention during that time to other subjects like English and Chem which I had tests for all in the same week. I was a total smart aleck thinking I would ace this exam without much preparation and revision. Got proven wrong big time.

I finally learnt my big lesson, as they all say Maths is all about Practice and Practice over again which I never paid heed to. Without revision, or doing heaps of past papers and questions from the books you're going to be nowhere in Math whether it be 2 Unit or 3 Unit. You can easily get away in subjects like Modern History and English. Maths is Maths where you need more time, especially need to study in a long duration and not cramming just a day before an exam.

This was my mistake, on top of that being disorganised and lacking time management skills.
Yup you needa refrain from BOS and stay more focused.

Simorgh

HSC
Yup you needa refrain from BOS and stay more focused.
That has contributed but there is actually much more to that like my friends (big distraction), finding it hard to study for multiple subjects at once, careless at managing my time, not being well organised, spending too long in the Gym and yeah many other distractions....

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
That has contributed but there is actually much more to that like my friends (big distraction), finding it hard to study for multiple subjects at once, careless at managing my time, not being well organised, spending too long in the Gym and yeah many other distractions....
1. Screw your friends and hang out with them only at school
2. Study one thing at a time and complete all homework at school so then you can study at home
3. Use a diary and get someone to motivate you in order to manage your time properly
4. Once again use a diary
5. Screw the gym, who needs to work out. You don't need muscles to be healthy, just go for a run in the morning and the afternoon
6. Remove all distractions away from you when you study

I'm in a similar situation to you right now Simorgh. Luckily, we're still in year 11 and we need to change this habit ASAP

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
2. Study one thing at a time and complete all homework at school so then you can study at home
3. Use a diary and get someone to motivate you in order to manage your time properly
5. Screw the gym, who needs to work out. You don't need muscles to be healthy, just go for a run in the morning and the afternoon

I'm in a similar situation to you right now Simorgh. Luckily, we're still in year 11 and we need to change this habit ASAP
:jawdrop:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

Orwell

HSC

fam, u asking him to sacrifice them gainZ?

You should be able to keep doing what you love, granted you keep yourself organised. Is all about moderation m8.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
fam, u asking him to sacrifice them gainZ?

You should be able to keep doing what you love, granted you keep yourself organised. Is all about moderation m8.
YEah y not?

This is the testing year of the HSC, no time to waste m8

jt12x

HSC
"complete all homework at school" how is that possible, especially at selective schools??

RyanT7

HSC
"complete all homework at school" how is that possible, especially at selective schools??
Free periods or just don't complete it at all ( Complete it for classes where the teacher actually checks )

bobmyself

HSC
People need to rest and relax? Do you think someone could work a week straight with no sleep and no other activities in their life?

If a person spent all of their time working then this would build up stress and actually lower their overall performance efficiency due to fatigue or lack of motivation. Just because you're not working doesn't always mean it's a complete waste of time. Something like going to the gym might hold intrinsic value for a person (they're doing something good for themselves) and hence, serve as motivation to better themselves at work too. These intangible qualities can't be gained from just working 24/7 - you need to reward yourself to maintain optimal psychological well-being.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
People need to rest and relax? Do you think someone could work a week straight with no sleep and no other activities in their life?

If a person spent all of their time working then this would build up stress and actually lower their overall performance efficiency due to fatigue or lack of motivation. Just because you're not working doesn't always mean it's a complete waste of time. Something like going to the gym might hold intrinsic value for a person (they're doing something good for themselves) and hence, serve as motivation to better themselves at work too. These intangible qualities can't be gained from just working 24/7 - you need to reward yourself to maintain optimal psychological well-being.
I'm not saying that, I'm saying remove all distractions so then you can focus better

ScienceGuy99

HSC
Hey! I'm doing bio, chem, physics, 2U maths and advanced English and ancient history.
I'm having trouble with English though. I believe English is quite the opposite of science and maths, so how do you cope with adv. English? Any tips at all?
I'm in year 11 too by the way :)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
fk got my 3u result..66% LOL
well im ranked 4th so thats in band 6 range seeing how my school from like the last 10 years has gotten like 6-10 band 6s for 3u.
I just now dont need to be complacent and continue this rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)