2024 HSC Chat (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
HELLO,

I personally think my active note taking skills are quite weak :( any tips for taking notes activley in the classroom? Any overall note taking tips?

Is this technique even 'worth it', like is it actually effective or is taking textbook notes at home easier or more effective?
i only took notes in physics, english and software, but tbh it would just be drawing up whatever examples were being explained or the basic defintions + anything subtle that my teacher would say out loud that wasnt necessarily in the textbook. overall id say just dont take notes for everything super obvious detail that you know is in the textbook anyway, just jot down the main points or any additional things that might be important that the textbook doesnt really elaborate on

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
HELLO,

I personally think my active note taking skills are quite weak :( any tips for taking notes activley in the classroom? Any overall note taking tips?

Is this technique even 'worth it', like is it actually effective or is taking textbook notes at home easier or more effective?
Personally, I tend to purely listen in class and ask questions. It helps if you do your notes at home, as well as pre-readings, so that class time is just for consolidation and understanding any knowledge gaps that you have, allowing you to address potential weaknesses early.

I find that taking notes during class can lead to you missing out on other information since you get caught up on noting down everything important, which tends to be… everything in a classroom situation, when in reality, there’s only around 3-5 points that are worth taking down. It’s better to listen to everything as a whole and write down things that you didn’t come across during your note-taking and/or pre-reading at home.

ziGma

HSC
All parts? ie curve sketching, optimisation, rates of change graph qns, derivative to primitive conversions graphically?
Yeah 😭 but some of it was a part of the hand-in so we probably won't have that in the test...

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Yeah 😭 but some of it was a part of the hand-in so we probably won't have that in the test...
Usually the parts that are in the hand-in are not in the test at all, but it's still good to have some knowledge. When I had my hand-in, none of the content that it covered was in the test, so invest more time on topics that weren't covered in the hand-in.

What textbook are you using?

ziGma

HSC
Usually the parts that are in the hand-in are not in the test at all, but it's still good to have some knowledge. When I had my hand-in, none of the content that it covered was in the test, so invest more time on topics that weren't covered in the hand-in.

What textbook are you using?
Hmm, yes thanks I'll focus on those parts then 👍

New Senoir Mathematics

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Hmm, yes thanks I'll focus on those parts then 👍

New Senoir Mathematics
If you’re looking for more questions, I’d say just go through Trial Papers. As someone who went through the worry of running out of questions, let me stress this… you won’t. One of the advantages with Mathematics is that it has such an abundance of past papers that you probably will never get through all of them.

It’s up to you whether you start with older papers or newer papers or even a mix of the two. Past papers, especially Trial Papers, will always be your best bet since they can prepare you for any curveballs you might get in your class test.

ziGma

HSC
If you’re looking for more questions, I’d say just go through Trial Papers. As someone who went through the worry of running out of questions, let me stress this… you won’t. One of the advantages with Mathematics is that it has such an abundance of past papers that you probably will never get through all of them.

It’s up to you whether you start with older papers or newer papers or even a mix of the two. Past papers, especially Trial Papers, will always be your best bet since they can prepare you for any curveballs you might get in your class test.
Okay 😁 thanks for the reassurance @AsuTeksu, I was worrying about running out or not having enough to prepare for Trials if I look at them now XD!

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Okay 😁 thanks for the reassurance @AsuTeksu, I was worrying about running out or not having enough to prepare for Trials if I look at them now XD!
I think you should opt for the older papers (i.e. 2020) but also do a few recent ones to wrap your head around questions that have been coming up and are increasingly common; maybe you'll spot some patterns and learn methods to solving things more efficiently.

Don't worry at all, Mathematics has so many past papers that you'll be drowning in them comes Trials. There's no way you'll get them all done... maybe if you do 3 of them everyday from today onwards lol.

ziGma

HSC
I think you should opt for the older papers (i.e. 2020) but also do a few recent ones to wrap your head around questions that have been coming up and are increasingly common; maybe you'll spot some patterns and learn methods to solving things more efficiently.

Don't worry at all, Mathematics has so many past papers that you'll be drowning in them comes Trials. There's no way you'll get them all done... maybe if you do 3 of them everyday from today onwards lol.
Hmm I'll do that then 👍 and keep an eye out for 'patterns' as well!

AHAHA thank youu 😁 maybe I'll start the papers from today then....😂

linoloml_

HSC
Hey I just wanted to say that it's good to compare yourself to others sometimes but what may work for them may not work for you so don't feel discouraged if they've done 100000 hours this holidays and you feel like you haven't done enough

That being said...
Bio: ~3 hours
Chem: 1 hour?
Eng adv: ~2 hours
Maths altogether: 5 hours
SOR 1: 0

Oops?

Content-wise I've mostly focused on making my term 4 knowledge really good 💀 but I'm reading my english texts and I'll try to work ahead and kinda accept that my real 'holiday' has ended and I have to go back into work mode
yeah, seeing people finish the ENTIRE physics/chem/math syllabus makes me feel so useless ☹
and these 1.5 months opened up an opportunity for me to get a lot done, but i fear i just wasted most of it 😓
anyway, thanks for your insight, it was super helpful 😄

xoNat

don't worry, be happy
HSC
yeah, seeing people finish the ENTIRE physics/chem/math syllabus makes me feel so useless ☹
and these 1.5 months opened up an opportunity for me to get a lot done, but i fear i just wasted most of it 😓
No time like the present 🤪

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
you reminded me to unsubscribe from those god awful atomi emails
i think my cohort also got like a feedback form on our usage of atomi and at the end they had an additional comments part ... i doubt they ever read it though
you should consider that these people have probably not done the entire syllabus during the school holidays and have probably gone ahead throughout y11 & prior – likely just finished the small bits that remained
To The 2023'ers : Can you rank the English Advanced modules from hardest to easiest?
To The 2024'ers : Rank the English Advanced modules based on what you feel would be hardest to easiest.
easiest to hardest
mod c; discursives are very easy to write – almost formulaic and i just have a mental checkbox i tick off and consider if i'm rambling too much. i also think i just find writing creatively more fun
mod a: i think i am very good at writing integrated paras so yay
common mod (would be 2nd easiest with more practice):
mod b: am not pretentious enough to do this module well sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)