4 Unit Revising Marathon HSC '10 (1 Viewer)

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Assess the impacts of Leibniz' and Newton's contributions to calculus on society.... :haha:
i pray to God that that will never pop up in the exam... it is in the outcomes isn't it? to appreciate the beauty and elegance of maths?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
i pray to God that that will never pop up in the exam... it is in the outcomes isn't it? to appreciate the beauty and elegance of maths?
I don't think so. I was merely mocking HSC sciences :p

jet

Banned
HSC
(1-2sin^2a)+(1-2sin^2b)+(1-2sin^2c)=0

sin^2(a)+sin^2(b)+sin^2(c)=3/2 (1)

(1-cos^2a)+(1-cos^2b)+(1-cos^2c)=3/2

3-3/2=cos^2a+cos^2b+cos^2c (2)

Therefore (1)=(2) [sin^2a+sin^2b+sin^2c=cos^2a+cos^b+cos^c=3/2]

(cos^2a-sin^2a)+(cos^2b-sin^2b)+(cos^2c-sin^2c)=0

cos2a+cos2b+cos2c=0

Pretty noob solution, i'll think about the complex way now

Question: tan(A/2).tan(B/2)+tan(A/2).tan(C/2)+tan(B/2).tan(C/2)=1
There is a slight problem in that you assume the result in your first line.

I.e. you assume that cos(2a) + cos(2b) + cos(2c) = 0, when that is the result you want to actually prove in the first place.

The Nomad

HSC
another alternative to a) is considering a polynomial, p(x) with roots such that

p(x)=x^3-(a+b+c)x^2+(ab+ac+bc)x-abc=0

Then because a, b and c are roots, they should satisfy p(x).

a^3-a^2(a+b+c)+a(ab+ac+bc)-abc=0
b^3-b^2(a+b+c)+b(ab+ac+bc)-abc=0
c^3-c^2(a+b+c)+c(ab+ac+bc)-abc=0

Then adding these three, would enable you to factorise it quite easily

There is also another approach for factorising this using determinants but because that confuses four unit students as it is not in the course, I will not mention it. Those interested in the determinant approach can email me.

Next Question,
--------------------

let a, b and c be real numbers such that

cos a+cos b+cos c=sin a+sin b+sin c=0

Prove that

cos 2a+cos 2b+cos 2c=sin 2a+sin 2b+sin 2c=0

(hint: You may use complex numbers to prove the result)

That is one sick question.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC

lols, beaten although vafa, you made one stupid mistake of subbing in an incorrect value for y!

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

lols, beaten although vafa, you made one stupid mistake of subbing in an incorrect value for y!
Just to let people here know, the technique employed in finding the derivative as shown above is known as logarithmic differentiation which involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides and implicitly differentiating. This technique can actually make some normally complicated functions much simpler to differentiate because the log laws can be used to separate out composite parts of a function...may be potentially useful in exam questions (though quite rare lol)?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Just to let people here know, the technique employed in finding the derivative as shown above is known as logarithmic differentiation which involves taking the natural logarithm of both sides and implicitly differentiating. This technique can actually make some normally complicated functions much simpler to differentiate...may be potentially useful in exam questions (though quite rare lol)?
Yeah I thought of that as well. Esp, in curve sketching which require multiple applications of the product rule (eg. to find y'' when y is a 'complicated' function)

But I figured that it would be too much "mucking around" at 2U/3U level. But in 4U you never know ;)

The Nomad

HSC
My brain can not understand how x=y=z=0, could you please clarify this for me?
Cos a = 0 and Sin a = 0, so x = Cos a + i Sin a = 0 + 0i = 0. Same goes for y and z.

And your solution is so long :p

jet

Banned
HSC
Cos a = 0 and Sin a = 0, so x = Cos a + i Sin a = 0 + 0i = 0. Same goes for y and z.

And your solution is so long :p
I'm not quite sure whether that is correct. I think there may be a few different cases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)