4 Unit, should I go for it or not? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am sorry if I bombard you guys with the similar threads like this. However, I am a very confused Year 11 kid who cannot really make up my mind whether I should do 4 Unit or not.

Don't just say: "go for it". Because I am not in a position to do so.

I am dropping a subject this year which leaves me with 10 Units. At my own school, it is customary to go to HSC with 11 Units. It is extremely rare case to have 10 Units only. Therefore, if I choose MX2, I will have 11 Units as required by my school. However, I will be stuck with this forever.

Here is my own situation:

I am doing an accelerated Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 (HSC for both subjects). My result has been pleasing for both subjects, especially my Mathematics result but I am struggling to pull off competent results in MX1.

This year, my result in Mathematics has been like the followings:
98%, 97%, 98%, 98% and CSSA Trial Paper Mathematics 2008: 98%.

This year, my result in Mathematics Extension 1 has been like the followings:
97%, 83%, 100% and CSSA Trial Paper Mathematics Extension 1 2008: 76%.

From my own Mathematics result, I am confident that I can pull off about 98, 99 or 100 in HSC Mathematics considering that CSSA Trial Paper is harder than HSC. In Mathematics Extension 1, I am not even sure whether I can pull off over 90% even though CSSA Trial paper is harder than HSC.

If I really got something like 99 or 100 in Mathematics HSC and decide to do MX2, that means, I am dropping that awesome result. I am not even sure if I can get good mark in MX2! I will need to get 96 or 97 in MX2 to equate the result that I get in Mathematics. On top of that, MX2 means more work but I don't really care about that factor as I can always work harder to make up for it.

I am a type of person who works at it with great commitment that can be comparable to anyone working out there. But I am unfortunately not a type of person who seems to possess great natural intelligence that would further enhance my result in great-mind-seeking questions as in Q7 of MX1.

On a side note, I love Mathematics even though I am not naturally good at it and I am commited to work hard in it. But something is bugging me not to do it in terms of UAI-wise.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Do 4unit next year. If you do shit in the trials drop it, and keep your awesome 2unit mark.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Do 4unit next year. If you do shit in the trials drop it, and keep your awesome 2unit mark.
The problem is...I cannot drop it because I will need to have 11 Units.

melonkitten

HSC
go for it,

It will ruin your confidence. (unless you are actually awesome at maths)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
melonkitten said:
go for it,

It will ruin your confidence. (unless you are actually awesome at maths)
Hahahaha...what an awesome advice.

Yeah, it probably will. I am quite mediocre in maths. :(

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:
The problem is...I cannot drop it because I will need to have 11 Units.
Then go for it. Judging by the Maths help you post here and your impressive results I'm pretty sure you will do well in 4unit.

HSC
N/A
they like like pretty awesome marks. i think you're more than capable of doing 4u maths next year.

monesh

HSC
I say you should go for it with those result you have. If you put a hard enough effort into 4 unit with heaps of practice questions you should do well. Im not saying it wont be easy, but if you even pass the 4 unit hsc exam, your set up for a awesome uai :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks guy, it's not all about capability. It's more about marks. Sorry if I have a poor mind-set.

Something that will really convince me to do 4 Unit would be the relative moderation that is taken account in HSC.

By "relative moderation", I mean: "what do I need to get as in RAW HSC to pull off about 95 or 96 aligned mark in MX2?"

If it is something that I can achieve, I will go for it but if it is something that I can only dream of, I may not as well go for it.

shinn

HSC
Aren't u interested in actuary? I'm pretty sure doing 4U will be a LARGE advantage when in uni.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shinn said:
Aren't u interested in actuary? I'm pretty sure doing 4U will be a LARGE advantage when in uni.
I am indeed. That's another reason why I am considering MX2. ;) :uhhuh:

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
I am sorry if I bombard you guys with the similar threads like this. However, I am a very confused Year 11 kid who cannot really make up my mind whether I should do 4 Unit or not.

Don't just say: "go for it". Because I am not in a position to do so.

I am dropping a subject this year which leaves me with 10 Units. At my own school, it is customary to go to HSC with 11 Units. It is extremely rare case to have 10 Units only. Therefore, if I choose MX2, I will have 11 Units as required by my school. However, I will be stuck with this forever.

Here is my own situation:

I am doing an accelerated Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 (HSC for both subjects). My result has been pleasing for both subjects, especially my Mathematics result but I am struggling to pull off competent results in MX1.

This year, my result in Mathematics has been like the followings:
98%, 97%, 98%, 98% and CSSA Trial Paper Mathematics 2008: 98%.

This year, my result in Mathematics Extension 1 has been like the followings:
97%, 83%, 100% and CSSA Trial Paper Mathematics Extension 1 2008: 76%.

From my own Mathematics result, I am confident that I can pull off about 98, 99 or 100 in HSC Mathematics considering that CSSA Trial Paper is harder than HSC. In Mathematics Extension 1, I am not even sure whether I can pull off over 90% even though CSSA Trial paper is harder than HSC.

If I really got something like 99 or 100 in Mathematics HSC and decide to do MX2, that means, I am dropping that awesome result. I am not even sure if I can get good mark in MX2! I will need to get 96 or 97 in MX2 to equate the result that I get in Mathematics. On top of that, MX2 means more work but I don't really care about that factor as I can always work harder to make up for it.

I am a type of person who works at it with great commitment that can be comparable to anyone working out there. But I am unfortunately not a type of person who seems to possess great natural intelligence that would further enhance my result in great-mind-seeking questions as in Q7 of MX1.

On a side note, I love Mathematics even though I am not naturally good at it and I am commited to work hard in it. But something is bugging me not to do it in terms of UAI-wise.
What subjects are you looking to take into Year 12?
If they require a lot of work like a distinction course, ENX2 or HX1 then don't take it unless you are confident that you can handle it.
But you seem really really smart plus you are good at maths so take it if you want.
Hope my advice helps :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 4 Unit, should I go for it or not?

All respect lost if you don't do it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: 4 Unit, should I go for it or not?

tommykins said:
All respect lost if you don't do it.
I will definitely do it then. :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
What subjects are you looking to take into Year 12?
If they require a lot of work like a distinction course, ENX2 or HX1 then don't take it unless you are confident that you can handle it.
But you seem really really smart plus you are good at maths so take it if you want.
Hope my advice helps :)
Um...you are right.

I am doing pretty much "soft subjects" as some pathetic guy mentioned in other thread (e.g. Business Studies and Biology).

On the other hand, I am considering Cosmology...

Thanks for the advice.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Um...you are right.

I am doing pretty much "soft subjects" as some pathetic guy mentioned in other thread (e.g. Business Studies and Biology).

On the other hand, I am considering Cosmology...

Thanks for the advice.
No worries. If i am considering doing it in year 12 (and i am not that good at maths) then you must do it since you have already done HSC MX1 so you will probably get a better mark.

bored of sc

HSC
Lyounamu, I thought it was a given that you would be doing extension 2 mathematics. ;)

You definitely have the ability. Definitely.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
you should do it if you want to be an actuary. It's reccomended.
Thanks for the great insight. Same for the bored of sc too. :uhhuh:

nottellingu

HSC
Go for it ! Honestly, it is not as hard as people make it out as being.
Often the people that go around talking about how ridiculously hard 4u is are the people that havent done it.

Your results clearly show that ur foundations are solid and that will give you a huge advantage over the rest of the grade that will be doing 3u simultaneously as 4u.

If you look at the topics conics is just an extension of parametrics, mechanics is an extension of the 3u applications of calculus + bit more :), polynomials is just plain simple most of the time unless it appears tied together with complex numbers in q's 7 and8. Volumes and integration is just routine stuff. And if u decide that u want to repeat ext 1 maths 4u will make u better at it. And it will have a beter effect on your overall uai as ext 1 will be counted as two units rather than 1 :uhhuh: .

I say GO FOR IT !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)