• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

4 Unit, should I go for it or not? (1 Viewer)

eliseliselise

HSC
i would do it.

do it for your country.

do it for yourself.

go for gold, son.

& if you get silver then...

silver is gold.

umm not much else to say...just believe in urself, & recite the following mantra every night before you go to sleep : "i am going to get 100 in 4unit maths" [repeat]

& remember... fortune favours the daring.

monesh

HSC
eliseliselise said:
i would do it.

do it for your country.

do it for yourself.

go for gold, son.

silver is gold.

umm not much else to say...just believe in urself, & recite the following mantra every night before you go to sleep : "i am going to get 100 in 4unit maths" [repeat]

you've been watching to much olympics...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
eliseliselise said:
i would do it.

do it for your country.

do it for yourself.

go for gold, son.

silver is gold.

You make me laugh all the time. :p

Thanks for the cheering up. That really helps. That gives me a glimpse of hope that I won't fail MX2. :p

-tal-

HSC
I suppose the reason why MX1 isn't a "competent" result for you because I figure you did it accelerated isn't it?

If you had more time to process the MX1 work, I think you would improve a lot (if you decide to repeat it) - which could only help with MX2 and your confidence in your ability.

I recommend trying 4 unit for about a term, and if you can't do it, drop it. (This is what I intend to do at my school anyway, if I'm to drop physics) Does your school make you have at least 11 units? If not, what does it matter if you take 10 units? (assuming you're doing maths and MX1 HSC this year)

miche11e

HSC
I was in exactly the same position as you at the end of yr 11. I knew i was dropping Chem (i just couldnt take it anymore, even tho i was going ok in it) and i was down to 10 then picked up 4 unit and i knew i couldnt drop. You just have to convince yourself that your gonna work for it cos you know you cant drop it. The first few topics arnt too hard - its just a new way of learning things for complex nos - its not building on anything, its a new topic. but the rest is all just topics from 3 unit at a more advanced level. The only topics you may struggle with are volumes and mechanics, but with study even they're not so bad.

the way i see it is, if your one of the ones who can do it, why waste it? it looks awsome on your resume and even if your failing, it will bring your marks up.
Its easy to do awsome in 2u, but its worth working for the marks in 4u.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
-tal- said:
I suppose the reason why MX1 isn't a "competent" result for you because I figure you did it accelerated isn't it?

If you had more time to process the MX1 work, I think you would improve a lot (if you decide to repeat it) - which could only help with MX2 and your confidence in your ability.

I recommend trying 4 unit for about a term, and if you can't do it, drop it. (This is what I intend to do at my school anyway, if I'm to drop physics) Does your school make you have at least 11 units? If not, what does it matter if you take 10 units? (assuming you're doing maths and MX1 HSC this year)
I have 12 at the moment. If I drop Chemistry, I will have 10 (including SOR I). My school considers SOR I as a fall-back unit. Therefore, I should have 10 Units apart from it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Simple question - duh - you're Lyounamu. I will murder you if you don't do 4U.

Yamiyo

HSC
Why you should do it:
You obviously have enough committment, good work ethic, etc. to succeed in it. Even in MX2 it's experience and effort rather than inherent intelligence that counts.
You have proven your ability in maths despite a couple of slips (you haven't got a single mark below 97% in 2U for god's sake!)
If you like maths, it is an enjoyable and rewarding course (it's a challenge).

As has been said, the content in MX2 isn't that bad really; complex numbers and maybe volumes are the only really new things. Personally I find circle geo and permutations + combinations more difficult to understand than, say, conics (parametrics with more algebra bashing) and polynomials (MX1 polynomials with complex numbers, basically).

aki117

HSC
i say it depends on you. You seem to have the stereotypical idea that 4 unit is too too hard, or that question 7s and 8s or are made to be left out i.e undoable... i say NO. 4 unit is not like that. The more time u spend on 4 unit the more experienced mathematician u become, and the more probs u can solve. Personally i was even more afraid than u when i picked 4 unit, coz i didnt know whts invovled, i suggest u get a general idea abt whts invovled in 4 unit (if u dont have one that is). As for what actual mark u nid to get a 96 or 95, well i would say (my tutor said it b4 me), a raw mark of 75 would scale to 95, a raw mark of 88 scales to 99, 92 + raw scales to a 100 i think. Now addressing ur results , i would say dont get fooled by 2 unit results, i got 3 100s in 2 unit, but still, i was doing extremely crap in 3 unit. I even failed my prelim half yearly but i decided to study hardcore, and now i came first in 3u and 4u. so if you see that ur maths is improving and that u can dedicate enough time for 4u then by all means do it, it would be stupid not to. Also dont stress out with question 7s, they are hard , but still ur accelerated for the love of peace, u have a whole year to improve, ur already ahead of many others, most ppl in year 11 stage cant finish question 1 of year 12 ext 1. so think abt it hard and long.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Your modesty will be your undoing.

aimhigh10

HSC
Looking in from a yr 10 perspective.. and probably looking into the future to face the same choice you must make now-
I have been told by many teachers that i should be able to take 4 unit in year 12 EXCEPT that it will be a lot of work. The teachers say that you really have to be interested and fine with completing hours and hours of maths (pretty much takes up the majority of your time, especially if it is almost half of your units).
And looking from the perspective from someone who is also considering being an actuary, i think that you should take 4 unit. Your marks are quite high and as long as your algebra and you have a strong interest for maths you will be fine.
My school has a system where you only choose 10 units in year 12. I see this as putting a lot of pressure on you to complete those ten units and get the highest mark possible, so having 11 gives you a unit to fall back on if necessary.
and finally when you make your decision, make sure you consider your other subjects - ensure that you will have time to complete the other 7/8 units with excellent results so you can also strongly focus on your maths.
I forgot to mention that it scales really well as well (you probably know that)
But again, I am a yr 10 student so i dont know all the ins and outs of the system yet, just if i was in your position (highly likely next year) i would pick up 4 unit, especially seeing your results in maths are high already. :)

undalay

HSC
Don't follow your bullshit school customs.

What's this bullshit about must having 11 units?

Like the other guy said, if ur doing shit in 4u then drop it and keep ur 2u mark.
You only need 10, you don't need 11.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Namu, I think you should go for it. You might be able to listen to other people about how 4u is, but you don't know how the course suits you unless you try it. If it doesn't work out, you can drop it and its not as though the school won't allow you to do 10 units. But from your marks with MX1 (which are great) and your sheer determination and effort, I'm sure you'll excel in MX2. Just practise, practise, practise.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
undalay said:
Don't follow your bullshit school customs.

What's this bullshit about must having 11 units?

Like the other guy said, if ur doing shit in 4u then drop it and keep ur 2u mark.
You only need 10, you don't need 11.
Private schools may be more enforcing of their own school policies.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Namu, talk to your teacher/head teacher about it. With the results you are getting for 2u and 3u, there's no question that you're capable of 4u.

Whether or not it is worth it to throw away your 2u mark.. well, I think a teacher would know better than any of us. But I think you would be better off doing 4u.

morgoe

HSC
I think you underestimate yourself.
I got 49% in the trials (CSSA I think, or an amalgamation of different papers) for MX1 and around 90% for 2U..that corresponded to a 45/50 for MX1 (Yes, 90% from 49% in trials) and a 92/100 for 2U. That was as an accelerant too, I'm now doing 4U.

You'll probly get high 90s for MX1 if you keep up your work.

Also, taking up 4U means that your MX1 mark will count for twice as much. So not only does your 4U replace your 2U (Which will scale better and probably give you more points, I forget what they're called) but your MX1 is going to count for double, and you'll get an excellent mark which will scale well too, better than 2U.

Mark-wise you're DEFINATELY better doing 4U.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
L said:
Thank you guys, I really appreciate it (I am using this random username because I got banned due to request, I didn't know banning prevented me from using the resource from the resource page!!)
since when were you a female :p

And like most other people are saying, if you want to be an actury you should do four unit.

Plus, even though you are probably going to do really well in 2 unit, chances are you will also do well in 4 unit.

The Kaiser

HSC
Don't do 4 Unit Lyounamu, that way I just might have a chance of beating your UAI! *Evil Laugh*

But seriously though, with your marks I know you will do quite well in 4 Unit, however I would advise you not to take it unless you know you will enjoy the topics within the 4 Unit Course or the subject of EXT 2 Mathematics itself. If you end up doing a subject you don't enjoy or want to do then it really isn't good because you'll be stressing over it and be distracted from your other subjects. But it doesn't seem like the case here, with your range of high to outstanding marks.

You already have a great work ethic, and everyone knows it, you just need a little confidence in yourself, and with that you will most likely will get 99.9+ UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)