A question addressed to persons aiming for, or expecting, a high ATAR... (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Smart study > Long study. But for a high ATAR, do you need both?
Please speak from experience, not simply speculation.
Depends how long the study is?

3-6 hours is normal for MOST high atar students, high as in 99+ and obviously there are those smart people that do 2-3 hours a day and still end up with 99.9

But overall Study Smart is the way to go, smart plus long is just win win

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends how long the study is?

3-6 hours is normal for MOST high atar students, high as in 99+ and obviously there are those smart people that do 2-3 hours a day and still end up with 99.9

But overall Study Smart is the way to go, smart plus long is just win win
Thanks for the input. I'm getting some conflicting perspectives, so I'm a bit confused.

HSC
I am aiming for 99, aiming to get into B Sc Adv Math. From where I stand, you must put hard work into the HSC for a good ATAR. But I don't think you need to slave over 5-6hrs per day in order to achieve this. If you set out long term, mid term and short term, right up to daily, nightly within the hourly goals, then you will get all your work done, with time for revision and practice. It is also knowing how each subject is going to affect your ATAR. Getting 100 in MX2 and 80 in EngAdv will not produce a high ATAR, but a 90 in both will. That's just an example.

The journey is different for everyone, some only need 1-2hrs. Some will need 3-4. But no one should be doing 5-6, IMHO, as this is slave labour. You are obviously doing something wrong if you do this. I'm still in Yr11 but I'm aiming for 2-4hrs a day for yr12.

That's just my opinion.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
why wuld u be studying at lunch, at most its 40 minutes long, you wont really get much done.
I usually have a minimum of two study periods a day (2hrs) and lunch (45 mins), so I study during school and homework for a bit and -relax- at home.

Chambalam

HSC
What about money? I come from a fairly poor family and getting into engineering is as easy as pie, but getting they money to survive is another issue. Some scholarships, like the COOP one at UNSW have that 96/97 cut off mark - so even though I could get a 90 without a great deal of effort, I guess it comes to the money.

HSC
easy to say with such high scaling subjects
It's the same principle for any subject - put more effort in those that will have a negative effect on your ATAR. You can get any ATAR with any subject combination...

HSC
what about money? I come from a fairly poor family and getting into engineering is as easy as pie, but getting they money to survive is another issue. Some scholarships, like the coop one at unsw have that 96/97 cut off mark - so even though i could get a 90 without a great deal of effort, i guess it comes to the money.
hecs?

Chambalam

HSC
It's the same principle for any subject - put more effort in those that will have a negative effect on your ATAR. You can get any ATAR with any subject combination...
Even a 99? I mean scaling equates work to a mark, making doing 4U maths with X amount of work basically similar to CAFFs with X amount of work.

But what happens if someone is prone to make 5% of mistakes in any given exam? You know, an absolute error - which would impact the overall mark less in a high scaled subject. (we're talking post-99 here)

The only people I've seen get above a 99 without chem/phys/4U maths are those progidies that win state awards for literature, or are top of the state at a language :\

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
What about money? I come from a fairly poor family and getting into engineering is as easy as pie, but getting they money to survive is another issue. Some scholarships, like the COOP one at UNSW have that 96/97 cut off mark - so even though I could get a 90 without a great deal of effort, I guess it comes to the money.
wat about HECS. IM going to be using HECS as well, i mean uni fees are really expensive especially for double degrees.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing about many scholarships is that your ATAR isn't a significant factor in being accepted for one. They look at your extracurricular activites such as leadership and charity work. After all...more than a 1000 get over 99 each year. You still have to meet the minimum academic requirements...but 96+ isn't too difficult for serious candidates.

Chambalam

HSC
wat about HECS. IM going to be using HECS as well, i mean uni fees are really expensive especially for double degrees.
That's the plan. It's more accomodation. With campus colleges costing something like $15,000 a year, and any other stuff it would be great to get a little help from some poor idiot willing to hand out money :p

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
The thing about many scholarships is that your ATAR isn't a significant factor in being accepted for one. They look at your extracurricular activites such as leadership and charity work. After all...more than a 1000 get over 99 each year. You still have to meet the minimum academic requirements...but 96+ isn't too difficult for serious candidates.
yeh, id say atars up to about 99.45 are quite manageable even for ppl with low scaling subjects. its when you get to like 99.70 stuff like that when u are really mixing it with the most hardworking ppl

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah I don't think you can concentrate for much more than a solid hour or two at a time. And what on Earth are kids doing that they need to study every single day?

Chambalam

HSC
^Curious, are you attempting to do an ADFA course?
Me? Certaintly considering it!

Certainly. That's why I'm part of Vinnies -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)