Always sleeping after school? (1 Viewer)

sourmilk

HSC
There's some thread floating around here, but I am too tired and I need some help

Recently, I've been feeling more and more drained after school (especially halfway of 5th or 6th period), where I just suddenly need to sleep. This usually won't be a problem, but the fact is that I have a maths test soon and I've been feeling too tired or too sleepy to start studying for it, and the problem is that I take a pretty long fucking nap, and afterwards I'm too wide awake and end up falling asleep at 1-3am.
Most of my days also have extension before and after school, and makes me even more tired than ever aswell.

So basically, is there anything that'll postpone my tiredness after the test? Or try not make me feel too sleepy during the day.... I usually spend my free periods napping on a bean bag or just dozing off D: and as I'm trying right now, I'm planning to nap in 10 minutes so I probs wont see this thread until 9pm

Pls halp

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just be patient and stay awake until 9 or 10 pm. Then fall asleep and fix up your sleeping pattern with a solid 8 to 9 hours. You have a good opportunity to do this right now.

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Set an alarm for your nap and keep it within a reasonable time. Or fix your sleeping pattern. Or drink coffee/tea or any form of caffeine to at least make it through the school day.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Get a blood test? You may be deficient in something like iron/potassium etc.
Try eating a banana?

helloimyellow

HSC
If you have a long train or bus commute, maybe try napping then? That's what I did during HSC, but transport always makes me sleepy haha

leehuan

HSC
P5 was my worst period as well though. Like I recover and P6 actually was decent but P5 I just want to sleep and I nag at myself to stay awake.

But for me I reckon it's cause I just had lunch and the fatigue during digestion hits me

Yeungster

HSC
ROFL i know the feels. try exercise that gets ur blood pumping or maybe coffee? i get really sleepy after eating a bunch of carbs lol maybe just me

Shuuya

HSC
ROFL i know the feels. try exercise that gets ur blood pumping or maybe coffee? i get really sleepy after eating a bunch of carbs lol maybe just me
Aren't carbs meant to give you a lot of energy? xD

Yeungster

HSC
Aren't carbs meant to give you a lot of energy? xD
probs explains it: "The problem is that a carb heavy meal typically gets digested really fast by the small intestines which means your blood sugar will raise very fast and this means your insulin spikes very fast. Insulin spike means your blood glucose will drop very fast a.k.a. sugar crash. Our brain runs on glucose so you will most likely feel tired from sugar crash or sometimes headache. " found this on the net

Shuuya

HSC
probs explains it: "The problem is that a carb heavy meal typically gets digested really fast by the small intestines which means your blood sugar will raise very fast and this means your insulin spikes very fast. Insulin spike means your blood glucose will drop very fast a.k.a. sugar crash. Our brain runs on glucose so you will most likely feel tired from sugar crash or sometimes headache. " found this on the net
Oh yeah High GI carbs haha xD I remember learning this stuff back in the day (year 10 PDHPE xD)

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe try doing exercise in the afternoon to wake you up/examine diet?

Zohal99

HSC
You need to force yourself to stay awake till normal sleep time one night, even if that means being too tired to get any work done. One night won't hurt. Then you will fall asleep at a normal time from exhaustion and with the help of an alarm wake up at a reasonable time.

Then your sleeping pattern SHOULD be okay.

Also you might have iron deficiency, so you should have a blood test if you haven't had one in a while.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
happened 2 me aswell I ended up staying til 3-4am most days. I came home at 4 and slept till 7 - 8, couldn't really start studying till 10-11 each day

buy the nodoz caffeine pills...use them during period 5-6, and they'll help you stay awake after school + fix your sleeping pattern

or just use meth
tru

milkytea99

HSC
If you take public transport, use that as your "sleeping time". And if anything fails, coffee/tea/energy drinks are your best friend

swagmeister

HSC
Develop consistency in your sleep routine - this will pay off big time.

And I took a half hour nap after each one of my HSC exams cause I was so tired and had no energy for the next ones, so something similar after a normal school day may help.

Otherwise, I always found that 20 minutes of exercise right before I started studying in the afternoon really rejuvenated me

HSCReady

HSC
Hey, this was 100% me in my HSC year too. Actually, this was me from year 10 onwards. I am a coffee drinker though, so I would come to roll call in the mornings with coffee in a thermos to get me going for the school day. Then I'd get home around 3 and sleep til about 4, which is just the right amount of time for me to stay awake til about 12-1am, and then I would sleep. I think the best tip I'd give is to set an alarm when you take naps and abide by them. If I didn't set alarms for my naps, I would have stayed asleep for a solid 6 hours.

"Power naps" really should only be about 20 minutes long, and an hour to an hour and a half of sleep is considered a full sleep cycle. So aim for an hour if you want to be super productive once you wake up. Also, make sure your diet is a healthy one. Foods with vitamins, minerals and low GI will fuel your body and naturally keep you full of energy to get through the day. Try having green tea or even matcha tea. The antioxidants are super high, and the caffeine is much lower than coffee, so it gives you a nice sense of alertness and "awakeness", whereas coffee gives you a buzz for a certain amount of time, and wears off.

Also, try exercising more regularly - exercise is a great way to get energised and keep you physically and mentally strong.

Good luck with everything :)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Take a power nap straight after school for like 15-20min..no longer than 30min. If you take a long nap you will become lazy so for a refreshing nap put an alarm and nap for 15-20min

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
GOD DAMN IT J. Don't nap at all.
Sleeping just makes you more tired tbh. Fix your sleeping habits, work during the whole afternoon and sleep earlier at night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)