am i capable of doing 4u maths? (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
if your going to be doing 4unit maths, you need an open mind.

What the guy said above me is kind of the same of what i think.

Graphs: need to know what will happen to graph not much working out required. just need to think how the graph will look like
complex: same as algebra but i used for negative square root
poly : same as 3unit but has complex roots thats all
conics: remember locus ( parabola ) say hi to ellipse and hyperbola
mechanics: projecticle, SHM and basically motion factoring in air resistence
integration: same as 3unit but new concepts on how to intgerate
harder 3unit: basically 3unit work but abit harder means longer working out and expands your knowledge on 3unit concepts.
volumes: same as 3unit volumes but they you have to derive each step.
its either by discs or shells thats all =]

I believe any one can do it, if they set their mind to it. look at the text book and see if it challenges you.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: am i capable of doing 4u maths?

eliseliselise said:
OmggGgg!!.?!hU uzEs M$(\) deEse dAiz? 0MGggG!! <3 lololololololhahahahahha!1!shift11111111!!!! fAc3b0oK fTw!! comment maii nu alBuM s2s2s2s22s2s2 ;) u R soOOoo funn3h!! hahahaha. IM mi 4 a gUd TiMe!! <3 sozza,, lYk g2g tTyl..
That was so absolutely freaky.

i think you just shattered many poor, innocent mathematicians. yes, learning can be easy. sometimes. exams are not easy [most of the time].
please don't mis-interpret my statement as to saying 4unit is easy. it's not. the questions can be very hard, and they are often very brain-tingling.

the basics of it is easy, (learning i^2, cis@, differenentiating parametrics, integration identification, graphs etc. etc.) but questions can get VERY difficult.

i'm basically saying - don't be scared of it, but also don't be too cocky over it (which is probably what i've done but oh well :d)

undalay

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: am i capable of doing 4u maths?

tommykins said:
please don't mis-interpret my statement as to saying 4unit is easy. it's not. the questions can be very hard, and they are often very brain-tingling.
Using a 3u analogy.

For circle geo
Learning the different 3u proofs is relatively easy (memorising them or w/e)
However the questions can get friggin hard

Or like a crossword.
You probably know the word.
It's just getting to the word from the clue that's hard.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
complex numbers - algebra with an i in it
integration - easy, just a few more techniques
volumes - easy, just idtenfiying shapes + imagination
conics- parametrics again
mechanics - haven't done, don't know.
polynomials - 3u stuff, nothing much extra
graphing - easy peasy.

the thing about 4u is, i think the only "new" things you learn is in volumes, comple numbers and mechanics. eveything else can be done with 3u knowledge (or an expansion on 3u knowledge).
Hmmm. Sounds too good to be true. :p

brendan.lawry

HSC
the actual learngin of 4u maths is fairly straightforward if u have and open mind, the firsst chapter complex numbers, u think ur throat is being cut coz the work is rushed and full on, and consumes most of your time, after that n u get to integration and stuff u think it gets easier.

the hardest part about 4u is that its another subject that u have to study for and is also very pushed for time, atm we have to finish the volumes chapter in a week so we can get started on mechanics.

if u actually dedicate time to 4u u can do well

H4rdc0r3

HSC
lyounamu said:
4 Unit = 1.5 times 3 Unit

I do about 14 hours for MX1 so it should be about 20 hours then.
there is something seriously wrong with you!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
H4rdc0r3 said:
lol.
But I wish I can study 14-20 hours. But the maximum I can do is three hours.

jaychouf4n

HSC
I'd say maths is very much about practice. A year ago I did diffrentiation and going through the cambridge 3u book was freaking hard. Development was pretty tough and Extension was undoable. But now after countless diffrentiation problems, all of them are really easy and there's no trouble with them at all. I can work quickly and accurately. I hope its the same for integration when i do it at school :D

But anyways, if you want to be good at maths just keep practising it, and get a method for each type of problem you can get. It makes everything alot easier.

I don't study at all for maths exams atm. All I do is the past paper's last questions (ie hard ones) for fun. And in the exams, I go with a clean mind and it works out.

Wish it could be the same for english :(

shaon0

HSC
14-20 hours a week? thats like an casual job which you don't get paid for.

lolokay

HSC
wtf how do we even learn enough stuff to get anywhere near that much per week

shaon0

HSC
lolokay said:
wtf how do we even learn enough stuff to get anywhere near that much per week
Who knows? Probably does past papers all day for maths.

jellybelly59

HSC
LOL 14-20 hrs = lyounamu super saiyan mode ROFL hahaha but instead of kamehaha shooting out a beam of ki u can just shoot out maths equations :p.... Grrr... just an hr a day of maths is enough to bugger me out let alone 14-20 LOL

Last edited:

Just.Snaz

HSC
*sigh*, guys.. 4 unit is NOT difficult. If you love maths, you love doing maths, you love answering questions, challenges... then you can do 4 unit maths!

The only reason I'm doing it is because I enjoy maths, I love challenging questions and maths is my strongest area. During the HSC, you want to maximise your talents. Discard what you suck at and hold dear to your heart what you do well in.

That is the key to success, because they didn't give you the option of choosing your subjects for no reason. They want to see your maximum capabilities so only if you enjoy maths, if you feel that you can remain dedicated for the WHOLE YEAR (which btw would be HELL if you didn't like maths), and if you really WANT to do this course, then yes, you are capable of doing 4 unit maths.

renny 123

HSC
eliseliselise said:
by doing 4 unit, you will find that your 3 unit abilities and results will improve exponentially, but for this to happen- you obviously have to put in HEAPS of work. i couldnt tell u how many hours of maths i do a week, but each day i get a 50 minute free that is always, without fail, dedicated to maths and mathematical joke telling ["so i was at this function party once.... "], then i go home & do more maths that night. i also only get one lunchtime per week coz all the others are dedicated to maths lessons [& this week on my one lunch off i had a ruddy leadership meeting!! humph!!].

but yerrr 4unit reaps great rewards, as long as you do the work!! 5 hours of maths a day!!
Wow! thats impressive. . very dedicated! Im not really sure how you find the time though? What about your other subjects. . dont you get much work for them?

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: am i capable of doing 4u maths?

tommykins said:
That was so absolutely freaky.

the basics of it is easy, (learning i^2, cis@, differenentiating parametrics, integration identification, graphs etc. etc.) but questions can get VERY difficult.

i'm basically saying - don't be scared of it, but also don't be too cocky over it (which is probably what i've done but oh well :d)
Even though I don't do 4U, qft. Almost every one of my friends who do 4U admit that, apart from the ninja outside of the syllabus shit, it really isn't too hard- you just need to work logically. Kinda wish I did 4U : <

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
eliseliselise said:
what's really bad is when you have maths tests... AT LUNCH. & there's like 95890348596824130345 little year seveners outside jumping up & down, singing songs, holding hands, exchanging museli bars & playing chess on the recently erected giant chess board [which reminds me distinctly of harry potter and im still trying 2 find the chamber of secrets]... & you're stuck inside this quiet little room that smells of juice & sausage roll. -shudder-

but, original poster- try and then buy 4u math. the novelty of saying that u do it wears off after approximately 5 minutes into the second lesson. but its a great course and you'll probably ace the first semester or so of uni if ya do it.
;)
:)
:D
Ha! I wish. You'll ace quite possibly the first two hours of Algebra (since it's a reivision of complex numbers). Calculus is a whol'nother ballgame. At least, that's what it's like at UNSW.

Rhanoct said:
Even though I don't do 4U, qft. Almost every one of my friends who do 4U admit that, apart from the ninja outside of the syllabus shit, it really isn't too hard- you just need to work logically. Kinda wish I did 4U : <
It's the "ninja outside of the syllabus shit" that'll get you every time (point in case: Question 8).

Put enough work into 4U and even if you aren't particularly fond of maths, you'll still do quite well. But if you can't see yourself dedicating a whole year to a subject, then don't bother with it. (Un?)Fortunately, dedication can do almost as well as natural talent where maths is concerned.

On a side note: eliseliselise, you go to St G. don't you? Man, I miss that giant chessboard and those suspicious smelling rooms. Except, it smelt of leftover pasta when I was there last year. (Chamber of secrets? Try room 9 - we do blame everything else on it ;))

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
H4rdc0r3 said:
wtf? I have got HSC Trials coming up. I am pretty sure 2 hours is normal for all my friends at the moment. And I was previously warned by my teachers that Trials will be much harder than HSC exams as they have already looked at it. At this rate, I will find it difficult to pull off even 80% or 70%.

See for yourself what you will be like just before the Trials and HSC.

And I am not studying for anything apart from maths now. You seriously don't understand my own circumstances and the reasons behind it. Seriously fuck off, it's you who seems to suffer from a post-syndrome where you have to make yourself available to abase someone else.

People who are aware of my own circumstances in regards to HSC would not consider this abnormal and it is obvious that someone like you would have absolutely no ideas in regards to this since you seemed to have spent all your time on BOS mocking my integrity and me as a person. If you say 2 hours is a level of abnormality, you will seriously fuck your HSC up. Don't be arrogant, your 2nd rank in Physics is not all there is. There are about 6000 more people around the state and who knows? They will seriously beat you up. You truly remind me of a frog who is only aware of its territory despite the presence of gigantic world that surrounds it.

In future, if you want to have a go at me, make sure beforehand that you are in a right position to do so. You obviously haven't experienced HSC yet and you seem quite cool about it. Either piss off or stay put. I really do not need your belittling comments and retarded posts that are of no help. I am seriously looking forward to your "awesome" results for MX1 in future.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
4 Unit = Sacrifice 60% of your time to mathematics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)