Am i doing something wrong? (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I dunno what to call it. Basically because race meetings are only twice a week, max, they outsource us (the staff) to other venues. It's called 'Staffing Solutions', and Ben is the manager of it.

Sydney Turf Club | Staffing Solutions - STC
ohhh, okay, i thought it was some full wanky title somebody made up for themselves to basically mean HR (which in an of itself is a wanky title for Personnel)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
here is my resume.
my real resume.
HIRE ME.
Your career objective is the most dreadful piece of trite I've ever read, it's vague and pointless and there is a litany of grammatical errors.

Cut it down to one page. No one needs to read all that rubbish.

Format in a mad, riet esque fashion.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
ohhh, okay, i thought it was some full wanky title somebody made up for themselves to basically mean HR (which in an of itself is a wanky title for Personnel)
Yeah, I guess it is human resources. Regardless of the wanky title ben works fucking hard, 6 days a week, and often in excess of 12 hours on a busy day. I can only imagine his renumeration is in accordance.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Your career objective is the most dreadful piece of trite I've ever read, it's vague and pointless and there is a litany of grammatical errors.

Cut it down to one page. No one needs to read all that rubbish.

Format in a mad, riet esque fashion.
Mine was just an MS Word template. Seriously knocked that up in less than 10 minutes.
PS Patti, your resume is too long for any non-professional job.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
For the past month i've been trying to get a job on seek. But Not one person has replied to my application.

Is it possible that my resume has got something to do with it?

I don't really have a referee besides my year advisor because my past manager was an #$%hole to me , so i left the job without resignation.

I'm not doing well in TAFE for I've failed twice this year in a row.

Now i'm in desperate need in getting a job because i can't keep living on youth allowance , it's not enough to pay the things i need (rent , travel , personal spending).

Any feedback from you guys will be appreciated and taken into consideration.
Seek is the worst place to look to get a job, During my post HSC break i applied for SO many jobs on seek and always got rejected, when i got to uni, i applied on the careers website and viola after a day or 2 i got an interview.

kekeheaven

HSC
Seek is the worst place to look to get a job, During my post HSC break i applied for SO many jobs on seek and always got rejected, when i got to uni, i applied on the careers website and viola after a day or 2 i got an interview.
Do you reacon i can get hold onto this website your using?:)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
How's my resume? ;)
Formatting isn't great and unless what you're applying for is related to what you're studying at university, that section is too long. Seriously for most part time work you don't need more than a page (assuming you write a cover letter too).

Sabbo

HSC
Really you would do that?:music:

Thanks for all the replies , well the resume i've posted online have fake details on it so don't worry i'm fine, But the content itself are all real.
I hope that your email address is also fake.

Make sure you have a professional sounding email address with your first and last name i.e. john.smith@iinet.com.au

Nothing worse than having some random nick name as a primary email address on a Resume.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Formatting isn't great and unless what you're applying for is related to what you're studying at university, that section is too long. Seriously for most part time work you don't need more than a page (assuming you write a cover letter too).
Yeah, it's for part-time work at an accounting/adminstrative position if i can find a position anywhere :(

binary star

HSC
What jobs have you applied for? I'd say it might have something to do with your credentials......

hannahxxx

HSC
I've applied for subway fast food joints everything but so far no replies sighs..
Have you looked at this website? It is quite good:
studyandwork.com.au
A few points to note from the link:
- the vast majority of jobs are never advertised
- to maximise your chance of success, partake in "strategical door-to-door visits, 2-3 hours at a time, in suburbs that have a large number of retail outlets" ( it gives suggestions)
- combine door-to-door visits with online applications

Ok so the link I gave you gives a large number of generic online applications you can do. Definitely try the Aldi site. When you do these, don't spend too much time on it. Give yourself a goal of how many applications you will send out in, say an hour or so, to ensure you maximise your productivity and don't get too discouraged. When you go round handing out your resume, smile at them and be confident.
Having a resume that is only 1 page is OK if you're not leaving anything out, but if there's important stuff that you're cutting out I'd say give yourself a maximum of 2 pages to work with.
Overall, my advice would be not to get too discouraged. Rather than taking it personally, be STRATEGIC and maximise how many businesses have your resume. It may not be the best time of year, but there will always be places looking for new staff ( especially fast-food places with high staff turnover rates)
Good luck!

kekeheaven

HSC
Hey guys its me again , I've tweaked my resume and went to the studyandwork website which is really good , but still i have not yet recieved and replys ive b een applying for alot of jobs lately and not one call or reply has came back yet..

i think this has something to do with my referees because my year advisor ain't good enough or something ... damnit im starting to lose hope and all..

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
For the past month i've been trying to get a job on seek. But Not one person has replied to my application.

Is it possible that my resume has got something to do with it?

I don't really have a referee besides my year advisor because my past manager was an #$%hole to me , so i left the job without resignation.

I'm not doing well in TAFE for I've failed twice this year in a row.

Now i'm in desperate need in getting a job because i can't keep living on youth allowance , it's not enough to pay the things i need (rent , travel , personal spending).
Edit; just checked out the content of the adjusted resume. Seems good although I'm viewing the document on my iPod touch and the page looks distorted.

Check it out on the PC later.

Ah I think the resume requires some adjusting. When you apply to a position ensure you demonstrate how the skills gained from previously employment can contribute effectively to the position of interest.
They have council'z @ TAFE who can assist with your resume.

Last edited:

allyuk

HSC
Mate, try and keep it simple. Just imagine how many CV's potential employers are going to be looking at, the easier you make it for them to read your CV the greater chance they'll take notice of what you've written.

When I opened up your first one it looked a little chaotic.

I've had a go at making look a little simpler and neater.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)