Another islamic terrorist attack in France (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

A Greek Orthodox priest has been seriously wounded in a shooting in the French city of Lyon, officials say.

The gunman fled the scene, sparking a manhunt. A suspect resembling witness descriptions was later taken into custody.

The motive for the attack remains unclear. Authorities have opened an investigation of attempted murder.

The incident came days after three people were killed in a knife attack at a church in the southern city of Nice .

French President Emmanuel Macron called the killings an "Islamist terrorist attack" and deployed thousands of extra soldiers to protect public sites, including places of worship.

The shooting in Lyon happened at about 16:00 local time (15:00 GMT) on Saturday when the priest was closing his church, officials said.

The attacker, who police said was armed with a sawn-off shotgun, fled the scene.

The French interior ministry said security and emergency personnel were on the scene, and urged people to avoid the area.

In a statement on Saturday night, Lyon's public prosecutor, Nicolas Jacquet, said "a person who could correspond to the description given by the initial witnesses has been placed in police custody".

He added that the suspect had not been carrying a weapon at the time of his arrest. Investigators are trying to determine his identity.

Lyon Mayor Gregory Doucet earlier told reporters: "We don't know at this stage the motive for this attack."

The priest has been identified as Nikolas Kakavelakis. He is in hospital and is reported to be in a serious condition.

The priest is said to have life-threatening injuries after being shot twice in the abdomen.

France Prime Minister Jean Castex said the government was determined to allow "each and everyone to practice their worship in complete safety and in complete freedom".

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
So sad.

This is why when you allow people into a country you need to make sure that the persons view aligns with your countries laws and if not don’t let said person in. One of the attackers was a refugee. Came to France for a better life but commits crime in the place that offered him a better life.

Husky

HSC
I’m all for free speech, but if you say something you have to be willing to accept the fact that people will contradict you. Legit you post cartoons mocking someone’s religion and then people are confused when they retaliate? I do not agree with the violence at all don’t get me wrong, but still “free speech” has its limits and you shouldn’t be surprised when people go against your shit

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I’m all for free speech, but if you say something you have to be willing to accept the fact that people will contradict you. Legit you post cartoons mocking someone’s religion and then people are confused when they retaliate? I do not agree with the violence at all don’t get me wrong, but still “free speech” has its limits and you shouldn’t be surprised when people go against your shit
Stop justifying terrorism you POS

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I think people are more confused at the violence of the reactions.

Usually when something offensive is put out you see protests and people advocating against it. Not attacks on innocent people.

Mind you the people that were killed in the 2nd and 3rd attack have absolutely no relation to the cartoons, so the anger the attackers had towards it is unjustified as well because clearly it wasn’t just anger on the person who made the cartoons but on random innocent people as well.

Husky

HSC
Stop justifying terrorism you POS
Lmao you clearly didn’t read a single thing I wrote.
I’ll say it in baby language for you. Here’s an example that’s easy to understand for you, if I go up to someone and call them fat in the name of “free speech”, I’d expect them to get angry and possibly retaliate. Same situation here, the Charlie he do cartoons are not informative or educational at all, they’re only purpose is to defame and mock a religion that 99% of people use peacefully, so obviously people will react in a bad way. Again I do not agree with any of the violence, protesting peacefully would’ve been better.

Husky

HSC
I think people are more confused at the violence of the reactions.

Usually when something offensive is put out you see protests and people advocating against it. Not attacks on innocent people.

Mind you the people that were killed in the 2nd and 3rd attack have absolutely no relation to the cartoons, so the anger the attackers had towards it unjustified as well because clearly it wasn’t just anger on the person who made the cartoons but on random innocent people as well.
Yeah I 100% agree with you, the violent nature of the attacks is crazy and ridiculous, especially the beheadings. I’d assume though that the attackers don’t care about human life and just want to cause as much damage as possible to “send a message”. I wish they just used peaceful protests instead of all the violence, it hurts to see innocent bystanders affected.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Lmao you clearly didn’t read a single thing I wrote.
I’ll say it in baby language for you. Here’s an example that’s easy to understand for you, if I go up to someone and call them fat in the name of “free speech”, I’d expect them to get angry and possibly retaliate. Same situation here, the Charlie he do cartoons are not informative or educational at all, they’re only purpose is to defame and mock a religion that 99% of people use peacefully, so obviously people will react in a bad way. Again I do not agree with any of the violence, protesting peacefully would’ve been better.
If women walk around in revealing clothing in front of men, what do they expect to happen? I do not support rape in any way, but obviously people are going to react. They shouldn't dress that way if they dont want a reaction

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
In multiple muslim countries you can be imprisoned or executed for practicing non-muslim religions, and muslims want to act like they're oppressed? lmao

Husky

HSC
If women walk around in revealing clothing in front of men, what do they expect to happen? I do not support rape in any way, but obviously people are going to react. They shouldn't dress that way if they dont want a reaction
You’re really taking the whole thing out of context, I’m starting to realise either you don’t know how to read or you’re just an ignorant human. How does clothing have any correlation with free speech, like I don’t even know where you got that from and on that note I’m not even gonna bother anymore lol have a nice day my ignorant friend 👍🏼

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
they’re only purpose is to defame and mock a religion that 99%
A majority of muslim support shariah law, which involves the violent enforcement of Islamic beliefs. So this statement is objectively correct.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
You’re really taking the whole thing out of context, I’m starting to realise either you don’t know how to read or you’re just an ignorant human. How does clothing have any correlation with free speech, like I don’t even know where you got that from and on that note I’m not even gonna bother anymore lol have a nice day my ignorant friend 👍🏼
Being called ignorant by someone who can't understand a basic analogy

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
An analogy that has no relevance in this context you mean?
Of course its relevant. They're both examples of people expressing their freedoms, and backward people responding to it.

In the west, we have freedom of expression, and if you aren't okay with that, don't live here.

Husky

HSC
Of course its relevant. They're both examples of people expressing their freedoms, and backward people responding to it.

In the west, we have freedom of expression, and if you aren't okay with that, don't live here.
Lmao the “dressing” analogy isn’t even that relevant of an issue in western society, the point of discussion is “free speech” within western society which does raise issues. Just look at the way other leaders such as Angela Merkel and Justin tradeu have presented themselves when confronted with this issue and you’ll see the difference. Here’s a link to Merkel’s speech, it pretty much says all you need to know:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Lmao the “dressing” analogy isn’t even that relevant of an issue in western society, the point of discussion is “free speech” within western society which does raise issues. Just look at the way other leaders such as Angela Merkel and Justin tradeu have presented themselves when confronted with this issue and you’ll see the difference. Here’s a link to Merkel’s speech, it pretty much says all you need to know:
If having your feelings hurt results in you becoming violent, the problem is YOU. If violent animals lash out over having their feelings hurt, you don't back down. You double down, and show these monsters that their behavior is unacceptable.

Free speech means free speech. Its not "free speech, but only if you don't hurt the feelings of muslims".

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Malaysia’s former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad. Photo: Reuters

Malaysia’s former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad has sparked an uproar by claiming that Muslims have “a right to be angry and kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past”.
The comments appeared on the 95-year-old’s blog on Thursday evening as part of Mahathir’s response to calls from Muslim nations to boycott French products. Twitter has since removed one of the elder statesman’s tweets containing his latest remarks after deeming it violated its rules. Earlier, it left the tweet accessible “in the public interest”.

Cédric O, France’s junior digital affairs minister, said he spoke with the managing director of Twitter in his country and called for the immediate suspension of Mahathir’s official account. “If not, Twitter would be an accomplice to murder,” the minister wrote on the social media platform.

Malaysia’s ex-PM says Muslims ‘have right to kill millions of French’ hours after France attack

Malaysia’s ex-PM says Muslims ‘have right to kill millions of French’ hours after France attack
Muslim nations have been angered by the French leader Emmanuel Macron’s
remarks this month describing Islam as a religion “in crisis” and his plans to crack down on radicalism following the murder of a teacher who showed his class cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed.

Mahathir’s post was immediately criticised by both foreign and local audiences, many of whom said he was encouraging violence.

Referring to Macron’s comments, Mahathir demanded France teach its people to respect others.

Muslims protest against French leader’s defence of Prophet Mohammed cartoons, call for boycott
“Since you have blamed all Muslims and their religion for what was done by one angry person, the Muslims have a right to punish the French. The boycott cannot compensate the wrongs committed by the French all these years,” he wrote, in an apparent reference to French colonialism
AS IT HAPPENS
Coronavirus Update
By submitting, you consent to receiving marketing emails from SCMP. If you don't want these, tick here

“But by and large the Muslims have not applied the ‘eye for an eye’ law. Muslims don’t. The French shouldn’t. Instead the French should teach their people to respect other people’s feelings.”

In what some people saw as his most inflammatory remark, Mahathir appeared to reference French colonialism, saying: “Muslims have a right to be angry and kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past.”

Australia’s ambassador in Malaysia, Andrew Goledzinowski, was among the more than 24,000 people who have responded to that remark – shared on the politician’s Twitter account – by quoting it.

“I am deeply disturbed by this statement from Tun Dr Mahathir,” wrote Goledzinowski. “I know that he has not, and would not, advocated actual violence. But in the current climate, words can have consequences.”

Malaysian cleric and politician Fathul Bari Mat Jahya urged the nonagenarian to “delete” his comments. “Tun, this is not right. Islam does not teach its adherents to punish wholesale,” the cleric wrote on Twitter, using Mahathir’s honorific title.

“This is a reprehensible tribalism. As a statesman, and a figure popular abroad, with due respect I request Tun to delete this remark.”
Mahathir’s remarks came as reports emerged of fresh attacks at a church in Nice, France.

Macron’s plans have led to tensions with Muslim nations, many of whom have responded with calls for a boycott of French goods.

The Malaysian government this week summoned the French chargé d’affaires to express Malaysia’s concern over growing hostilities, hate speech and defamation of Islam.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry said it had used the meeting to reiterate Malaysia’s position condemning any “inflammatory rhetoric and provocative acts” that defamed Islam.

It pointed to populist speeches and the recent republication of caricatures of the Prophet that had first appeared in the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, itself the target of a mass shooting in 2015.

Malaysia will continue to work with the international community to promote mutual respect among religions and prevent religious extremism,” it said.
Meanwhile, Mahathir, who is known for a sardonic writing style, said that while he did not approve of the killing and believed in freedom of speech, he did not believe this freedom extended to “insulting” others.
“Macron is not showing that he is civilised. He is very primitive in blaming the religion of Islam and Muslims for the killing of the insulting schoolteacher. It is not in keeping with the teachings of Islam.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)