Another islamic terrorist attack in France (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
It literally does not matter what somebody said, there is no excuse for violence. The fact you think that they had their feelings hurt matters means that you're justifying their violence.
Very much so. The violent actions should be prioritised, condemned addressed above all else.

An analogy that has no relevance in this context you mean?
Of course its relevant. They're both examples of people expressing their freedoms, and backward people responding to it.

In the west, we have freedom of expression, and if you aren't okay with that, don't live here.
Relevant in the sense of action and reaction. Irrelevant in the sense that every person has a right to be equal under law and thus dress the way they prefer whereas publishing hate speech is not a right. That is if the cartoons were hate speech which idk because I haven’t seen them.

For all intents and purposes I would still call it a valid example/argument because just like rape, killing is not justified as a reaction.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad

Malaysia’s former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad. Photo: Reuters

Malaysia’s former prime minister Mahathir Mohamad has sparked an uproar by claiming that Muslims have “a right to be angry and kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past”.
The comments appeared on the 95-year-old’s blog on Thursday evening as part of Mahathir’s response to calls from Muslim nations to boycott French products. Twitter has since removed one of the elder statesman’s tweets containing his latest remarks after deeming it violated its rules. Earlier, it left the tweet accessible “in the public interest”.

Cédric O, France’s junior digital affairs minister, said he spoke with the managing director of Twitter in his country and called for the immediate suspension of Mahathir’s official account. “If not, Twitter would be an accomplice to murder,” the minister wrote on the social media platform.

Malaysia’s ex-PM says Muslims ‘have right to kill millions of French’ hours after France attack

Malaysia’s ex-PM says Muslims ‘have right to kill millions of French’ hours after France attack
Muslim nations have been angered by the French leader Emmanuel Macron’s
remarks this month describing Islam as a religion “in crisis” and his plans to crack down on radicalism following the murder of a teacher who showed his class cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed.

Mahathir’s post was immediately criticised by both foreign and local audiences, many of whom said he was encouraging violence.

Referring to Macron’s comments, Mahathir demanded France teach its people to respect others.

Muslims protest against French leader’s defence of Prophet Mohammed cartoons, call for boycott
“Since you have blamed all Muslims and their religion for what was done by one angry person, the Muslims have a right to punish the French. The boycott cannot compensate the wrongs committed by the French all these years,” he wrote, in an apparent reference to French colonialism
AS IT HAPPENS
Coronavirus Update
By submitting, you consent to receiving marketing emails from SCMP. If you don't want these, tick here

“But by and large the Muslims have not applied the ‘eye for an eye’ law. Muslims don’t. The French shouldn’t. Instead the French should teach their people to respect other people’s feelings.”

In what some people saw as his most inflammatory remark, Mahathir appeared to reference French colonialism, saying: “Muslims have a right to be angry and kill millions of French people for the massacres of the past.”

Australia’s ambassador in Malaysia, Andrew Goledzinowski, was among the more than 24,000 people who have responded to that remark – shared on the politician’s Twitter account – by quoting it.

“I am deeply disturbed by this statement from Tun Dr Mahathir,” wrote Goledzinowski. “I know that he has not, and would not, advocated actual violence. But in the current climate, words can have consequences.”

Malaysian cleric and politician Fathul Bari Mat Jahya urged the nonagenarian to “delete” his comments. “Tun, this is not right. Islam does not teach its adherents to punish wholesale,” the cleric wrote on Twitter, using Mahathir’s honorific title.

“This is a reprehensible tribalism. As a statesman, and a figure popular abroad, with due respect I request Tun to delete this remark.”
Mahathir’s remarks came as reports emerged of fresh attacks at a church in Nice, France.

Macron’s plans have led to tensions with Muslim nations, many of whom have responded with calls for a boycott of French goods.

The Malaysian government this week summoned the French chargé d’affaires to express Malaysia’s concern over growing hostilities, hate speech and defamation of Islam.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry said it had used the meeting to reiterate Malaysia’s position condemning any “inflammatory rhetoric and provocative acts” that defamed Islam.

It pointed to populist speeches and the recent republication of caricatures of the Prophet that had first appeared in the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, itself the target of a mass shooting in 2015.

Malaysia will continue to work with the international community to promote mutual respect among religions and prevent religious extremism,” it said.
Meanwhile, Mahathir, who is known for a sardonic writing style, said that while he did not approve of the killing and believed in freedom of speech, he did not believe this freedom extended to “insulting” others.
“Macron is not showing that he is civilised. He is very primitive in blaming the religion of Islam and Muslims for the killing of the insulting schoolteacher. It is not in keeping with the teachings of Islam.”
Ah yeah I had heard about this.

I really don’t understand how you can condemn the cartoons but not the acts of terrorism?

Husky

HSC
It literally does not matter what somebody said, there is no excuse for violence. The fact you think that they had their feelings hurt matters means that you're justifying their violence.
Dude I never said I was justifying it. There is a clear distinction between “explaining” and “justifying”. I’m just explaining why they did it, in no instance I was I saying it was a good thing and justifying it. I always agree that violence is not the solution, not sure why you think I was justifying the use of violence. I’m a big advocate for free speech it’s the point of a democracy, but if you defame a religion for no reason then you should expect people to retaliate, I don’t know why these attacks are surprising anyone.

Husky

HSC
Very much so. The violent actions should be prioritised, condemned addressed above all else.

Relevant in the sense of action and reaction. Irrelevant in the sense that every person has a right to be equal under law and thus dress the way they prefer whereas publishing hate speech is not a right. That is if the cartoons were hate speech which idk because I haven’t seen them.

For all intents and purposes I would still call it a valid example/argument because just like rape, killing is not justified as a reaction.
The cartoons are legit hate speech. There’s nothing informative about them, their only intention is to make fun of the religion.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I agree with @Husky. Violence is WRONG. The terrorist act is still NOT justified.

But since it is known that groups of people (particularly some Muslims) are prone to showing hostile behaviour if they get offended, I feel whoever was showing the cartoons could've taken a few extra precautionary steps to avoid something like this. The whole country is now suffering as a result.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
But since it is known that groups of people (particularly some Muslims) are prone to showing hostile behaviour if they get offended, I feel whoever was showing the cartoons could've taken a few extra precautionary steps to avoid something like this. The whole country is now suffering as a result.
Why should anyone let muslims into their country then? Why shouldn't france expel them? The whole country is suffering due to islamic fundamentalists, not because French people are exercising their freedom of expression.

Thinking that you shouldn't criticise Islam means you're siding with terrorists. You're giving them exactly what they want.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
The cartoons are legit hate speech. There’s nothing informative about them, their only intention is to make fun of the religion.
Yeah, so what? If you think they should be banned, you're siding with murderers

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
but if you defame a religion for no reason then you should expect people to retaliate, I don’t know why these attacks are surprising anyone.
This IS justifying them. You're portraying it as reasonable that people would respond like this. It's NOT reasonable and its not expected that civilised people would respond like this. Christianity gets mocked in much more hateful ways and it never ends up in christian terrorist attacks.

And also, fuck off with this "for no reason" nonsense. Islam deserves to be defamed. It's literally a religion started by a slave-trading pedophile.

Ice-Cream-Man

HSC
N/A
This IS justifying them. You're portraying it as reasonable that people would respond like this. It's NOT reasonable and its not expected that civilised people would respond like this. Christianity gets mocked in much more hateful ways and it never ends up in christian terrorist attacks.

And also, fuck off with this "for no reason" nonsense. Islam deserves to be defamed. It's literally a religion started by a slave-trading pedophile.
If you are downplaying Islam, why are you an adherent?

HSC
N/A
Why should anyone let muslims into their country then? Why shouldn't france expel them? The whole country is suffering due to islamic fundamentalists, not because French people are exercising their freedom of expression.

Thinking that you shouldn't criticise Islam means you're siding with terrorists. You're giving them exactly what they want.
Going by your reasoning, all Muslims are terrorists.

Also, let's say all Muslims are terrorists for argument's sake (not all of them are of course). France willingly allowed them in...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Going by your reasoning, all Muslims are terrorists.
YOU'RE the one who literally said muslims are prone to hostile behavior when they get offended.

Also, let's say all Muslims are terrorists for argument's sake (not all of them are of course). France willingly allowed them in...
Yes, and clowns like you would have a fucking aneurysm is France banned muslims.

Husky

HSC

There we go, it was only a matter of time before your hatred towards Islam came out.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
You are saying the Cartoon's should not be banned, yet how are you not offended personally and would push for a ban?

It says "tolerant moderate Muslim"
No dumb dumb, the moderate muslim is the person whose post I quoted

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
There we go, it was only a matter of time before your hatred towards Islam came out.
Are you denying the historical fact that the founder of Islam was a pedophile and a slave trader?

Im not going to apologise for hating pedophillia and slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)