• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone enjoys Classical Music? (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
My speciality is Chopin, though I am doing advanced study in Chinese music.

Did you know that the Chinese had the equal temperment scale 2000 years before the west did?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Is there much difference between the different groups that perform the same piece? Also can someone recommend me some stuff to listen to.
Yeah sure is! While I was studying for the HSC last year I listened alot to classical but one song which struck a chord with me (pardon the pun) was Vivaldi's "Winter". So I went to the local library where they have a decent classical collection and borrowed a couple of CDs. It's surprising but there are great differences in the way which different groups perform their works. Obviously the melody is the same but other than that, you get differences in instruments, tempo and most importantly where intonations are placed along the piece. You should just settle for the one which appeals to you and burn the song to your computer hehe. Wait, I didn't say that...

Adrian.

HSC
OK thanks for the info. I'll download some and see how I like it. I was thinking about the copyrigt and all that and i'm sure you're allowed to perform it (w/o paying anything). If I wanted to I could go and do a cover of whatever is number one today and not have to pay the artist a cent (unless I use a sample). I'm sure it'd be the same for classical music.

paganinio

HSC
Phanatical said:
My speciality is Chopin, though I am doing advanced study in Chinese music.

Did you know that the Chinese had the equal temperment scale 2000 years before the west did?
that's called Chinese Pentatonic Scale , which consists of dol, ray, mi, sol, la where fa, ti are missing
that's good for harmonica performing

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
i love classical music

but btw, if you strictly classify 'classical', Tchaikovsky is not one from the classical era. he's from romantic period. ;) but nevertheless, i love him too!!!

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
I'm a classical music fan.
All throughout the HSC, i just listened to Mozart, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky & Beethoven.

I love "fur elise", i taught myself the first few notes of it yesterday :)

paganinio

HSC
sugaryblue said:
i love classical music

but btw, if you strictly classify 'classical', Tchaikovsky is not one from the classical era. he's from romantic period. ;) but nevertheless, i love him too!!!
Classical Music=everything from 1600--1900 + something similar from 1900+

[V] the great

HSC
Hindustani music, primarily, but enjoy Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart, Yanni as well.

Love MS Subbulakshmi's carnatic bhajans. Awesome!

Last year, i learnt about 10 abhangs. Really nice. I sing them everyday so i shouldnt forget them :)
Has anyone here learnt abhangs?

[V] the great

HSC
Sorry, forgot to mention.... I'm talking Indian stuff out here. Hindustani music is north indian while carnatic music is southern's. MS Subbulakshmi was a great exponent of carnatic music. She passed away a month back. I really love her songs. Looking around for more cassettes/CDs.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
Favourite ===> LISZT FERENC

Yes its spelt FERENC and NOT Franz, LISZT and NOT List or Lischt 'casue some F***ing loser wanted to make him sound German when he is clearly NOT!

Don't mind Vivaldi, Brahms, Bach, Bartok or Kodaly too! :D

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Wesnat said:
To me, classical music does not define class or any crap like that, which is, unfortunately, what many people think;

marry me .

Adrian. said:
Is there much difference between the different groups that perform the same piece? Also can someone recommend me some stuff to listen to.

Thank you for enligtening my trailer trash arse.

paganinio said:
a classical fan who has heard tons of classical music(more than 1000 hours) will say there's obvious difference between this record version and that record version of the same music work.
but for most of us, except for different Instruments, different tempo or other stuff which can be easily distinguished, there's no difference.
Yeah paganinio is right, but still once you begin to actually love a piece and listen to one of its 'versions' a thousand times you become abit of a perfectionist and every other version that doesn't match up is abit dull. Some pieces are played perfect while others are just shabby, you can FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL it.

Last edited:

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
I must say i strongly dislike baroque and classical music, although was forced to study them. i don't know how you can find them so interesting, they are so predictable, you can sing along with it even if you've never heard the piece before. traditional diatonic melodies and harmonies annoy me. they've been done for centuries. the romantic era was a bit better. more dissonant and surprising (just a little bit) get into some contemporary music. i love that stuff!! It takes a few listens i must admit, but its all worth it. try a bit of miriam hyde. she was my 'transition composer' if you will. (ie. she got me into contemp. art music). anyway thats my rant...in summary...go contemporary

Last edited:

paganinio

HSC
Mejc said:
Favourite ===> LISZT FERENC

Yes its spelt FERENC and NOT Franz, LISZT and NOT List or Lischt 'casue some F***ing loser wanted to make him sound German when he is clearly NOT!

Don't mind Vivaldi, Brahms, Bach, Bartok or Kodaly too! :D
2 versions of Liszt's names
Franz Liszt(English translation)
Liszt Ferenc(in Hungarian?)

somechick

HSC
N/A
I like that lord of the rings stuff. does that count?
*shys and runs away*

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
Actually I'm a fan of romantic period music, I don't know whether that will come under your big umbrella of "Classical Music", but that doesn't mean I'm anti-Mozart or something...and depending on how benevolent I am feeling, Bach and his baroque associates may or may not get on my nerves. Some of the "modern classical" music (I'm assuming neo-classical, neo-baroque stuff) is irritating, but it varies. My mother classifies Amici as "classical", does anybody else? She also thinks Andrew Lloyd Webber's music falls in here, but I seriously think it leans more towards popular music. Still, both provide some great music.

Chopin rocks. I like his nocturnes, something I can actually play that sounds cool :p Although don't ask me to do titles, I can never put a name to a piece of music - usually I plug my speakers into my dad's stereo system and just get whatever he's listening to. But 92.9 is a nice station to listen to when you're studying, I'll say that.

I don't know how many of you know of him, but I used to like Christopher Norton a lot when I was little; he wrote all these jazzy pieces that were a lot of fun. Like those Latin Preludes; I've played something like five of them so far (although I haven't practised them for ages, so if you asked me to do one of them, I probably couldn't)...guess it was just a phase I went through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)