Anyone enjoys Classical Music? (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
John Williams, and James Horner, have both made careers with just one composition, which they sell again and again. Listen to the opening themes of any two of their movies, say Bicentennial Man and A Beautiful Mind, and you'll see what I mean.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Shit Yeah, Symphony and Metallica is awesome, does that classify as Classical Music

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
It's great to see a lot of people sharing their opinions on classical music, including those who aren't particularly crazy about it.

Anyway, recently I just discovered that Bach was a complete nerd. Some of you probably have heard it, but when he composed his fugues, he composed a main melody, then a slower version of that melody, and a faster version of that melody, and an INVERTED version of that melody (!!!!) and mix them all together in the organ composition, and it worked out!

And since someone mentioned John Williams, what's your favourite pieces from him?

I think themes from ET, Indiana Jones, Schindler's list, the Olympic Theme, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter :p and Star Wars (of course!) were some of my favourites.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Wesnat said:
It's great to see a lot of people sharing their opinions on classical music, including those who aren't particularly crazy about it.

Anyway, recently I just discovered that Bach was a complete nerd. Some of you probably have heard it, but when he composed his fugues, he composed a main melody, then a slower version of that melody, and a faster version of that melody, and an INVERTED version of that melody (!!!!) and mix them all together in the organ composition, and it worked out!

And since someone mentioned John Williams, what's your favourite pieces from him?

I think themes from ET, Indiana Jones, Schindler's list, the Olympic Theme, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter :p and Star Wars (of course!) were some of my favourites.
Yes also like John Williams, hes good

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
Wesnat said:

Bach is nuts.
So calculated.

Abu Ghurayb

Banned
HSC
N/A
Arvin Sloane said:
You know what I say, if it ain't baroque, don't fix it!

Har-har!
I am hereby usurping that joke from you...sucker.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Btw, I just watched Disney's Fantasia 2000 (I think it's 2000) a few months ago, and the last short animation was the Firebird, which (I think from memory) is the title of one of Stravinsky's composition, used in that segment of Fantasia. (Anyone has watched this film?)

It actually sounded really good, keeping in mind that I was one of the people who didn't like Stravinsky's music!

I think the thing is that his music describes a scene, and the cartoon (which was really really cool - the Firebird was pretty badass) helps me in imagining what Stravinsky is describing through this piece.

I find his music quite interesting now! :eek: :eek:

mis0705

Not a new member
HSC
I'm just a newbie to BOS. Personally I prefer classical music to the more modern RnB and so on. My favourite composer is Beethoven, and I dont really have a favourite era. I also like Haydn, Pahanini, Sarasate and Rachmaninoff.

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
I love Tchaikovsky (sleeping beauty waltz particularly), Chopin (Nocturne), and many others...Bach, Beethoven, etc.... Particularly good to lid\sten to while studying. Has anyone seen anything classical related at the opera house?

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Sorry but no. I don't really know if there's amny young people that into classical music. Take a survey.

Dr_Gorgeous

HSC
duckofdoom said:
Sorry but no. I don't really know if there's amny young people that into classical music. Take a survey.
And what is this thread about????....

maxi_bon

HSC
Wesnat said:
So, does anyone enjoy classical music? Or has it become a dying genre? To me, classical music does not define class or any crap like that, which is, unfortunately, what many people think; it's just a different genre in the diverse universe of music.
I think classical music does kind of define class however no more than there are steretypes that listen to RnB, rap, teenie-boppa pop, metallica, etc...

There is much more however to "classical" music than most people think. You can study it for a whole lifetime and still have so much to learn. That's why i have so much respect for it. There's just so much you can get out of it and everyone gets out something different. It is a bit more intellectual i believe than other genres and that's often why young people don't get into it but many older people with the time and interest i think find how rewarding it can be.

With that in mind, I can say from experience there is a lot of interest in classical music still. Just because it's not in the mass media doesn't mean theres not a lot of it going on. I encourage everyone to at least try listen to some classics. There's so much out there and you're not gonna like everything but when you find that style you love you'll never regret it.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Wesnat said:

I don't think I've heard Indiana Jones. My favourite pieces - most of what you have mentioned; ET, Jurassic, Harry Potter, Star Wars (Jedi Theme, Main Theme, Imperial March), The Witches of Eastwick, NBC News Theme and Back To The Future.

Lain

HSC
maxi_bon said:
There is much more however to "classical" music than most people think.
Yes.
In fact, there is much more to not just any other music genre, but any art, any aspect of life. Different people appreciate the aesthetic (be it visual, aural or what) from different perspectives. I find that like all other interests, if you can appreciate the beauty in classical music, your enjoyment of it will be a very rewarding experience. While it may not be the more popular part of culture, I think there will always be a minority who stand by it.

I have no particular favourite composer but I like the sounds of pieces like Moonlight Sonata, 1st movement by Beethoven and Schubert's Standchen (Serenade). More uplifting and ..jolly pieces are great works of aural art but I'm not that kind of person.. I do like some majestic sounding pieces like Jupiter from the Planets suite by Gustav Holst, and that overture to Tannhauser by Wagner.

Is anyone going to Classical Spectacular or have seen it elsewhere? I would like to go but unfortunately will not be going. I suppose classical music particularly 'spectacular' when experienced with visual stimulation...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Bach looks very simple on the page but is frightfully annoying on the fingers.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
classical music is great

an 82 piece orchestra makes a rapper look like a superficial fukhead

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
gordo said:
an 82 piece orchestra makes a rapper look like a superficial fukhead
That's exactly what rappers are. As far as I'm concerned rap does not even classify as 'music'
I love Handel's Messiah, and a lot of Mozart's operas/operettas- Le Nozze de Figaro, The Magic Flute, etc.

cherryblossom said:
Bach looks very simple on the page
Yeah that's what I thought with one of my pieces. And then I sang it and discovered that Bach evidently believed that people don't need to breathe...

Last edited:

iNegro

HSC
Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Bach, Vivaldi and Handel are all amazing.
I think I like the baroque period the most, the instruments (esp. Harpsichord) just have a really unique sound to them, I think all classical music is amazing, but that doesn't mean to don't listen to Rap or Jazz, I think there's great parts of all genres, sometimes it's just harder to find.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)