Anyone who's interested in New Generation degrees for next year (1 Viewer)

justCARLA

HSC
My mum works for Melbourne Uni, and all staff got sent this email from the Vice Chancellor about 1st round preference numbers if anyone's interested or doubted that people still wanted to go to Melb uni because of the new Melbourne Model...

Dear colleague,
I am pleased to report that early 2008 VTAC preference data shows a welcome indication of a strong student response to the University's New Generation degrees.

This news comes at a time when the University has reduced the number of courses offered in 2008 to 28 - from 96 in 2007 - while still offering around 5000 undergraduate Commonwealth-supported places for commencing students in 2008.

Over the past two years, many academic and professional staff across the University have been involved in shaping the New Generation undergraduate courses - Arts, Biomedicine, Commerce, Environments, Music and Science - which are the cornerstone of the Melbourne Model. They all provide excellent employment opportunities and pathways to a wide range careers and further study options.

The early 2008 preference data indicates that our hard work is being recognised; that many prospective students share our belief that the Melbourne Model offers the best higher education opportunities in Australia.
The VTAC data shows CSP first preferences for Arts, Science and Commerce have all recorded increased demand compared to the current programs of the same name.

Arts is up 35 per cent from 1496 in 2007 to 2026; Commerce is up 65 per cent from 881 to 1451; and Science has recorded a 98 per cent rise from 405 to 802. Biomedicine and Environments are being offered for the first time in 2008. Preference data indicates that both programs have been well received by prospective students.
The Biomedicine degree with 360 first preferences has outperformed (up 136 per cent) the former Biomedical Science degree (152 in 2007). Music has fallen slightly from 147 in 2007 to 127.
And it is not surprising that the new Environments degree (with 520 first preferences) has captured the imagination of prospective students as it offers a unique interdisciplinary program of study in natural, constructed and virtual environments leading to a wide range of career options and further study options.

The preliminary data from VTAC backs up our own feedback on the New Generation degrees that students like the idea of being able to undertake depth in their discipline plus breadth of study, and they like the flexibility of career pathways that this offers.

Of particularly good news is the strong showing of Science where the minimum entry score for 2008 has been set at 85 - up five points from the minimum entry score in 2007. We sent students a signal that we expected a high standard for entry to our new Generation Science degree and they have responded positively.

This is a welcome trend for Science at Melbourne and runs counter to a declining interest in science across the Australian university sector.
The introduction of the Melbourne Model in 2008 is setting the University of Melbourne apart from other Australian universities. No other Australian university is embracing such significant educational reform.

In this new environment it is therefore pleasing to see that prospective students are confidently putting the New Generation degrees as their first preference. They will not be disappointed.

Glyn Davis

bikapika

HSC
lol im applying for commerce

so if they cut the number of courses, will they increase the places available for each course? lol or will the finance they save from undergraduate go to post graduate education that they prefer students to take?

duzza

HSC
Any idea what ENTER Enviro. is likely to be?

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I'm all for it guys, as long as it's below the one I said before. lol. Good luck!

E

ellasrules

what do u guys reckon for arts?? i got 94.90, u think im in??im stressed!!

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Does anyone have any idea of what the melbourne model Bcommerce follwed by Masters of Engineering ENTER/UAI will be in 2009?

Ali -

HSC
N/A
No-one knows exactly until offers come out, but based on the past few years, the ENTER required for the BCom should be around the 95 mark (plus or minus 2 possibly).

FatJ

The Sexiest Man Alive
HSC
Melbourne uni rarely accepts people with scores under 85... especially with the new melbourne model.
So yeah, sadly that's not the go for me.
But I've heard many people from both Melbourne uni and other unis who say this new generation B.S. is only doing the uni damage. Personally I haven't experienced it but yeah certainly a more theoretical course rather than vocational.

squance

I like cheese!!!
HSC
addikaye03 said:
Does anyone have any idea of what the melbourne model Bcommerce follwed by Masters of Engineering ENTER/UAI will be in 2009?
To do Bcommerce requires an ENTER around 95. Then after that, if you wanna do the Masters of Engineering, for guaranteed entry, you need that ENTER of 95 plus a 65 grade average in your undergraduate degree (in this case, commerce)

nick30790

HSC
Hey all,
I am really keen to do science at Melbourne next year. I got an ENTER of 88, what do you all think my chances are?
PS- I have also applied under rural and under represented.

Joel8945

HSC
nick30790 said:
Hey all,
I am really keen to do science at Melbourne next year. I got an ENTER of 88, what do you all think my chances are?
PS- I have also applied under rural and under represented.
Hi I also want to do the bachelor of Science also! I got 89.45 so really I'm hoping that we are high enough to get in. I don't know why people are calling the degrees B.S. because I love how you can decide what you major in whilst actually sampling everything. I'll probably do physics 1&2 (Would like to get into advanced physics), Calc 2, Linear Algebra, and I'm deciding whether to do Eng. Sys. Design or chemistry. Because I would just like to see whether engineering is for me! Although it was a shame that I didn't get 95 to ensure a guarenteed CSP placement in the Master of Engineering. Monash is another university that really appeals to me aswell. So apart from the dilema of deciding to do chemistry or engineering and getting into melbourne, I also have the deciding breadth subject issue. I hope I see you at Melbourne this March!

sev90

HSC
no offence guys but the new melb model sux..

reason being is that,, there all general .. and by the time to reach your desired field,, takes your years.. its honestly a waste wen u can get in directly to what you want at other unis.

melbourne was better before the melb model came in...

Joel8945

HSC
sev90 said:

reason being is that,, there all general .. and by the time to reach your desired field,, takes your years.. its honestly a waste wen u can get in directly to what you want at other unis.

I reckon the melbourne model is great as the brilliance of it is all the opportunities involved with a single degree. I.e. doing Engineering via the BSc takes 5 years and you get international accreditation as an engineer (usually that long with uni's) or becoming a professional scientist (PhD) takes 8 years achieve (usually that long with most uni's).

My 2 favourite universities are the university of Melbourne and Monash. RMIT is a great university but the fact that one must choose what they'll get their degree in without really getting a feel for what it is that you are doing.

nick30790

HSC
sev90 said:

Well, for some it may take longer. However, for me, as i want to do medicine, it only adds an extra year, plus after 4 years i am in hospitals. Joel8945, I will hopefully see you there, maybe in chemistry?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)