Anyone who's interested in New Generation degrees for next year (2 Viewers)

nick30790

HSC
Thanks nick30790..

moving in mid semester means u start the degree fresh yeah? finish it later then those who were in from march?
and does it matter what course ur coming from?

thanks

To be honest, I dont really know.

When I asked about this at the open day, it seemed like unless you have done similar subjects in another course, you would have to start over.

Just though I would add, got into science @ Melbourne. Very happy!

HSC
I suggest you talk to someone at the university about it.
Honestly, I go to melbourne and they are sooo unorganised in regards to phasing-out the old degrees and phasing-in the New Gen that they probably won't know the answer.

Generally I believe when a course is being discontinued, you are not able to defer it - so you will have to start this year or not do it (ie. you should ask the university if you are actually able to defer a BEng). However, some courses, if the intake is large enough (ie. 1000 students will be beginning/offered BEng this year), there might be a high enough percentage of students wishing to defer that they allow it and run BEng first year subjects next year for those students to begin their course then. Otherwise, it is normally assumed that if the year is the last year that the course will have an intake of new students, the first year subjects will only be offered in that year, and in the next, only second and third year subjects, and in the third year after the last intake, only third year subjects will be available (if that makes sense). That allows the phase-out of BEng subjects to be over in 3 years.

But it all depends on the uni and the course, so I would really recommend contacting someone in the Engineering department or enrolements, and asking them for a yes or no 'can I defer the BEng?'

Hope that made sense/helps!

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I suggest you talk to someone at the university about it.
Honestly, I go to melbourne and they are sooo unorganised in regards to phasing-out the old degrees and phasing-in the New Gen that they probably won't know the answer.

Generally I believe when a course is being discontinued, you are not able to defer it - so you will have to start this year or not do it (ie. you should ask the university if you are actually able to defer a BEng). However, some courses, if the intake is large enough (ie. 1000 students will be beginning/offered BEng this year), there might be a high enough percentage of students wishing to defer that they allow it and run BEng first year subjects next year for those students to begin their course then. Otherwise, it is normally assumed that if the year is the last year that the course will have an intake of new students, the first year subjects will only be offered in that year, and in the next, only second and third year subjects, and in the third year after the last intake, only third year subjects will be available (if that makes sense). That allows the phase-out of BEng subjects to be over in 3 years.

But it all depends on the uni and the course, so I would really recommend contacting someone in the Engineering department or enrolements, and asking them for a yes or no 'can I defer the BEng?'

Hope that made sense/helps!
Thanx very much for ur info! do u have msn? if so Pm me it. I just wana find out more about uni lifestyle in melbourne etc. I would really appreciate it.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I just found out that Bachelor of Engineering in 2009 is deferrable. Wouldn't this mean that there will be a B ENG in 2010? Surely the wouldnt allow deferral and then just assume that you will happily accept the civil systems ( BSci) and postgraduate path./

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
"Effective from semester 2, 2010, it will no longer be possible to commence our four year Bachelor of Engineering as a first year student."

The above quote makes it sound like the bachelor of engineering is not available in 2011. This it implies semester 1 still allows for the commencement of B eng, doesnt it? Semester 1, 2010 commences march 3rd or something doesn't it.

UPDATE: i was just looking in the 2009 national course guide met by Melbourne University, and it states the following
"The master of engineering program (available in 11 streams) will be introduced progressively from 2010 and will be fully implemented by 2011". Im pretty sure this also implies that the B ENG is available in 2010.. i value ur opinions though... so please continue

Last edited:

gcspsp

HSC
The Master of Engineering is not affected, its the end result of the new gen pathway...BE will no longer have mid year intakes from next year, so if you're deferring this year, you will be fine (assuming you start first semester next year).

You really should only worry about masters if you're opting for the new gen pathway. As BE is more than enough a qualification...in this case post grad should be a worry only in 3rd-4th year.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
The Master of Engineering is not affected, its the end result of the new gen pathway...BE will no longer have mid year intakes from next year, so if you're deferring this year, you will be fine (assuming you start first semester next year).

You really should only worry about masters if you're opting for the new gen pathway. As BE is more than enough a qualification...in this case post grad should be a worry only in 3rd-4th year.
Yes thats what i wanted to confirm, that B ENG was avialable next year. Im glad that i can cos i really really don't wana take the Melb Model way. Thanx for confirming man. Congrats on the offer and might see u round campus someday lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)