Apple or Android? (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
always preferred Android over iOS because iOS never really impressed me enough to make me care about the iPhone or want to pay the same amount for a plan on a phone that is quite sub-par compared to so many other phones out there

but Apple definitely has the best ability for its devices to sync together and basically provide flawless home entertainment for the average consumer

the average consumer is not going to be 100% tech crazy and just wants something that works together, looks good and is user friendly and Apple by far provides the best user-friendly products on the tech market because they came out with a target audience of home consumers, taking into account the fact that they don't want something complicated and won't know how to use something with 3920835 functions and customisation abilities

that being said Apple products are far less cost-efficient than its competitors which offer equally powerful alternatives for a fraction of the price

but since my girlfriend isn't really tech-friendly and i do like how good Apple TV works, I'll probably be (reluctantly) be buying Apple to get my home entertainment system furnished, but keep a study with my Windows and PC base because a Mac is never going to be able to keep up a PC in terms of power tbh

also Windows 10 is already looking more promising than Windows 8.1 (i really don't like 8.1 much) and HoloLens is looking awesome

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Reminds me of the new Surface ad hahaha.

Tbh I don't like touch screen based operating systems. Windows 8.1 is an exception being a hybrid and all though.
Tbh i think one of their points are stupid. Cause no one in their right mind would use a touch screen for graphic design. Coz the precision would be horrendous.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
@seremify

I know you're an accountant, and accountants by nature are boring and not very analytical by any means of imagination.

In finance, there is an extension of derivatives called Real Option Valuation, and as the name suggest, the option itself is worth something, even if you don't choose to exercise that option, but having that option to move is valuable, just like a financial option.

You dismissed all the options available in Android as useless to you(despite you never even tried) based on rationalisation, therefore you conclude that the option is of no value, and that Apple and just as good as Android is that regard.

There are two fundamental logical errors.

First, having an option to do something is always worth more than not having that option. That's why American option is always worth more than European option. Even if you don't use that option, you circumstances might change in the future, which might require you to exercise that option, option is therefore an insurance policy, which is true in real life.

Secondly, your usage habit does not represent other people, dismissing an option value used on personal biase is just beyond the most basic financial common sense.
This made me chuckle.

I agree with your two observations on logic errors, and I liked you bringing in the analogy to european options, but there are a few things you don't take into account in your analysis:

1. Whilst the options themselves may have an intrinsic value (assuming they yield some kind of positive benefit), you don't take into account either the upfront cost or cost of holding them. Taking finance concepts of premium and interest, these could be considered the qualitative cost of time taken to have to navigate around using them, and the impact on the performance of the device by having these options even if they aren't used.

2. Yes my usage habit may not be reflective of other people, but in the absence of me being able to sell my unused options or features to others (i.e. there is no real fair value), the next valuation technique would be based on value in use. In my case, there is no value in use.

All in all though, I don't think my usage scenario differs to much from that of the mainstream Apple customer. I'm willing and able to pay a premium for ease of use, for things to work first time everytime, and to not have to waste my time (which I can value) on things which don't matter to me.

On a sidenote, I used to think the Apple TV was a waste of $100 and failed to see any value in a device which just sat there, streamed content you had to pay for, etc... but after buying one and incorporating it into my home theater setup, I'm actually impressed with the enjoyment I derive from that little box.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh i think one of their points are stupid. Cause no one in their right mind would use a touch screen for graphic design. Coz the precision would be horrendous.
Tbh the whole point of the Surface ad was to target Apple users. That ad was aimed at converting Apple users to buying a Surface instead if anything.

So one big point Apple users in the past (since Apple brought about the first, most popular tablet) have taken into consideration is a touch screen. Also, many have incorporated a laptop such that they would have a mac and a tablet. Surface can knock off both of those in one go, hence the advertising there.

I know someone who used Apple predominantly from 2006 to 2013. 2014 hit and they suddenly preferred android with a Samsung phone (one of those massive things with the quad core processors) and now they are considering moving away from Apple computers and going for a Surface as it seems to satisfy their needs better.

So yeah, surface is aimed at those types of computer users. Imo the targeting technique of that ad I think is working pretty well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I tried the Surface Pro 3 both in stores and in one which my firm had adapted for enterprise use and truth be told, it didn't really amaze me. It still felt very much like a laptop which you sit at a desk and use with an external monitor. Yes you could undock it and use it as a portable device but the UI buttons for our enterprise software just wasn't well suited to a smaller touch screen. It was good for viewing documents though and consuming content. I also really liked the stylus for drawing/marking up documents in native apps rather than doing it in say Goodreader on my iPad.

Only thing is given the price of the one you'd want with the basic accessories (e.g. dock), it isn't cheap and I don't know if the value it offers would justify the purchase price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)