Are extension subjects worth it? (1 Viewer)

bumblebee1234

HSC
Hi,
I was just wondering whether Extension subjects are worth the marks and scaling (and benefit?) they give you considering how much work they require.

I am currently doing Ext Eng 1, Ext French and Ext History but am considering dropping ext history because of the huge workload. Is it worth doing? Will my ATAR suffer if I drop it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, your ATAR will not suffer because of it. In fact, if dropping Extension History means that you can maximise your marks in other subjects, I would recommend you drop it because it means you will be doing better, ATAR-wise.

nerd_2b

HSC
I am not too sure.

If you do bad in it, doesn't that mean that the ext subject won't be counted as part of the best 10 units?

spazamataz

HSC
Extension history is really good, it will help you heaps if you're doing modern, and studying the right areas! And it scaled really really really really well for me :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
they only work for you if you are interested, you know you will do well, and you are willing to sacrifice time in other subjects to work on the extension.
if you're not commited, then what is the point on doing the extension if it's gonna waste your time, get you bad marks, and not count towards your ATAR?

drop History Extension. If you can't deal with the workload, there is no point sticking with it.
and it won't influence your ATAR

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You won't lose any marks for dropping a subject at all.

Only do the subjects if you like them + can handle the workload. If you do not satisfy these 2 requirements, don't do them even if they "scale" well/highly as you most likely do horribly and all the scaling in the world won't help you then :)

astroe

HSC
Your marks are exponentially proportional to your enjoyment in the subject I'd reckon - so if you like it, you'll do well in it. :)

mtsmahia

HSC
No, your ATAR will not suffer because of it. In fact, if dropping Extension History means that you can maximise your marks in other subjects, I would recommend you drop it because it means you will be doing better, ATAR-wise.
1+

at the end of the day theres no point doing extension subjects if they will adversely affect your marks in other subjects

Amogh

HSC
N/A
im no expert, but if you think you'll not be able to cope with the stress then go ahead and drop em
obvious answer win xD

Eddykungfu

HSC
Everyone was averaging like 60 % throughout hte whole year.. it makes you feel depressed. Until you get teh mark at the end.

philphie

Banned
HSC
if you like 10 hours of school almost everyday do it.

jet

Banned
HSC
I did 3 unit english and 4 unit maths.

The maths extensions don't seem like extension subjects. You're still taught by a teacher etc etc.

3 unit english (and for the 1 term that I did extension 2 before being told to drop it) was completely different. There is much more of an expectation of independence from you, and thus it takes much more motivation.

Though both were completely worth it. :)

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
In my experience, extension subjects haven't been any harder or time consuming than you would expect a 1 unit subject to be. I've also found virtually no difference between the extension subject and the subject that it is an extension of. To me, it's just meant more work on practically the same subject. What I did find though, was that doing the extension subject allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of and do better in the 2 unit subject. E.g. I think I did better in 2u maths because MX1 allowed me to practice thinking in different ways and I think I did better in AdvEng because EE1 allowed me to practice my creative and essay writing. (In year 11 that is)

But I can't say anything in terms of scaling. Prelim-wise - my maths scaled badly becaused I didn't so great in it, but my english scaled well because I did well in it. Which I guess is the basic rule as scaling goes.

ilikebeeef

HSC
In my experience, extension subjects haven't been any harder or time consuming than you would expect a 1 unit subject to be. I've also found virtually no difference between the extension subject and the subject that it is an extension of.
Wow I found otherwise. EX1 by itself was more work than Eng Adv in year 11 from my experience. 4 unit maths is vastly different from 2 unit lol.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Wow I found otherwise. EX1 by itself was more work than Eng Adv in year 11 from my experience. 4 unit maths is vastly different from 2 unit lol.
Oh yes, 4u maths is very different. I forgot about it because I don't take it.
I think I never noticed a difference between 2u & 3u maths mainly because it's all taught in one class and I never know whether what I'm learning is 2u or 3u maths. I just know that the 2u exam is slightly easier than the 3u exam.
And I love english, so I guess that's why it didn't make much of a difference to me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)