Are morally objectionable acts excusable if enough people think it's ok? (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Judging from the other thread, the ideas that some people hold is that if enough people are of the belief that something is all right, you should be allowed to do it, barring all other circumstances. Raping children is okay if enough people say that raping children is all cool.

What's your opinion?

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I like Kant's view here that all people are autonomous beings and equally have the right to making their own decisions. Rape is not consensual, so it impinges on someone's autonomy and is thereby bad and can never be good, regardless of whether it is a social norm or not.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
I like Kant's view here that all people are autonomous beings and equally have the right to making their own decisions. Rape is not consensual, so it impinges on someone's autonomy and is thereby bad and can never be good, regardless of whether it is a social norm or not.
I like this post. But what if the actions of one person acting within their autonomy impinges someone else's autonomy, who is right?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If people think an action is okay, then by definition it's not morally objectionable.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I like this post. But what if the actions of one person acting within their autonomy impinges someone else's autonomy, who is right?
The idea is that you act as though what you want, you would still want if it was a universal law. Following that, if you wanted to rape someone, you'd have to be prepared that everyone rapes everyone all the time, including you getting raped. Because rape is defined as not being consensual and a traumatising experience, you would not want that to happen to you, and therefore you can't universalise rape which means your action is wrong.

It is also NEVER ok to negatively affect someone else's autonomy, so again, that first person would be wrong.

RANK 1

HSC
Judging from the other thread, the ideas that some people hold is that if enough people are of the belief that something is all right, you should be allowed to do it, barring all other circumstances. Raping children is okay if enough people say that raping children is all cool.

What's your opinion?
morality is subjective, hence is 99% of people are ok with having sex with children or beheading infidels then it would be ok within that society

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
The idea is that you act as though what you want, you would still want if it was a universal law. Following that, if you wanted to rape someone, you'd have to be prepared that everyone rapes everyone all the time, including you getting raped. Because rape is defined as not being consensual and a traumatising experience, you would not want that to happen to you, and therefore you can't universalise rape which means your action is wrong.

It is also NEVER ok to negatively affect someone else's autonomy, so again, that first person would be wrong.
But wouldn't telling someone to hold back on their autonomy in affecting another person's autonomy be affecting their autonomy?

7eleven

HSC
N/A

What's your opinion?
Moving from the other forum, i would like to say yes, it is society that essentially dictates what is socially acceptable or not. Eg- 50 years back, contraception was looked down upon within Australian society. However today this has changed. This change has come in sequence with the changing attitudes held within Australian society. However, in saying so i fail to understand your claims about raping children. Who says raping children is okay? Islam strongly condemns this.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
But wouldn't telling someone to hold back on their autonomy in affecting another person's autonomy be affecting their autonomy?
But the topic is about morality and what is right vs what is wrong. Autonomy is a separate issue.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
But the topic is about morality and what is right vs what is wrong. Autonomy is a separate issue.
I guess I have to read up more on this concept, maybe it will help me understand your point better lol as I feel rather confused tbh

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Moving from the other forum, i would like to say yes, it is society that essentially dictates what is socially acceptable or not. Eg- 50 years back, contraception was looked down upon within Australian society. However today this has changed. This change has come in sequence with the changing attitudes held within Australian society. However, in saying so i fail to understand your claims about raping children. Who says raping children is okay? Islam strongly condemns this.
Just putting it out there now, this is not to be used as a substitute Islam Protest thread.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Is this an actual legit question Christian.

No, of course not. And there is seriously not any situation where I could think that "Majority rules" is a legitimate excuse for anything that has questionable aforethought.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Just putting it out there now, this is not to be used as a substitute Islam Protest thread.
then keep it open?

Is this an actual legit question Christian.

No, of course not. And there is seriously not any situation where I could think that "Majority rules" is a legitimate excuse for anything that has questionable aforethought.
Yes I know that but there people that seriously believe otherwise. Look at this guy go:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
condemns it so much that its greatest moral figure practiced it I can see how that comes across

7eleven

HSC
N/A
condemns it so much that its greatest moral figure practiced it I can see how that comes across
@ABSOLUTEZERO - im not the one bringing issues sorrounding the protest into this forum, but if lolsmith can, surely i can too

fortyfortyforty

HSC
Autonomy=good is kind of arbitrary though isn't it?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It depends on the issue.

Is murder wrong in general. Yes. Do you think most Australians or Americans care that the SEAL teams sent to get Osama bin Laden were on a seek and kill mission? No, in that case it was justified.

7eleven

HSC
N/A
It depends on the issue.

Is murder wrong in general. Yes. Do you think most Australians or Americans care that the SEAL teams sent to get Osama bin Laden were on a seek and kill mission? No, in that case it was justified.
LOL. You actually think he was killed?

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Well I'm usually open for debate on topics. But this person is a downright nincompoop and anyone who thinks otherwise is just WRONG. There is no debate.

It's like debating over how many fingers I have on my hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)