• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arrogant Australians! We have a bad reputation overseas? (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Claire Buckis
December 10, 2007

"AUSTRALIANS only care what's between the barbecue and the beach!" shouted an Irishman from across the table in Santiago, Chile, after he heard my accent. I wasn't surprised or offended by his opinion, because after travelling around the world for more than six months, it's one of the kinder ones I've heard about Australians overseas.

Among the backpacking crowd, at least, it seems Australian travellers are rapidly gaining a reputation abroad, and not as the friendly easy-going types we would prefer to be known as.

On a bus in southern Laos, I overheard four Londoners who had travelled to Australia exchanging opinions. "Australia has no history," said one. "It's a country with lots of natural beauty, but the people are awful," said another. In northern Bolivia, a Dutch barman asked me where I was from. When I said I was from Melbourne, he spat back: "Australians are arrogant!"

Australians are a well-travelled people. With our dollar at a 23-year high, increasing numbers of us are heading overseas to take advantage of our relative wealth abroad. In every continent, in every country, and in almost every town where there's something worth seeing, it seems an Australian accent is only ever just around the corner. We're an island nation, so it makes sense that we travel: we're used to getting on planes to go anywhere, so we happily jet away to remote and exotic destinations. Don't be surprised when you are halfway hiking down an Andean mountain in Peru and you meet someone from Richmond.

Surely a love of travel is a great national characteristic. So why are we gaining a bad reputation?

It may be that some of our other national characteristics — which we tend to play up on when we're overseas — are getting us into trouble. We're known for our fond relationship with a cold beer, we're known for our love of sport. But a fond relationship with beer can lead to a reputation for drunkenness, a love of sport leads to a reputation for being over-zealous. For every thoughtful Aussie overseas who learns the language and gets to know the locals, there are plenty more intent on wringing the party time out of every last millisecond of their holiday.

That aside, we are proud of our country, but perhaps we struggle to say why. If you ask an Aussie what the best thing is about us, a good percentage will answer "beautiful beaches". And we do have beautiful beaches, but does that make us unique? Are there other aspects of our culture we need to recognise? The Londoner I overhead saying that Australia has no history was ignoring more than 40,000 years of Aboriginal culture — but what opportunity do visitors really have to explore this side of our history if we don't celebrate it ourselves?

All the opinions about travelling Aussies may be just a national rite of passage, a sign of Australia's growing presence on the world stage. There is no country that escapes struggle and controversy, and perhaps the world is simply more aware of us than ever, including our ugly bits. It's important to maintain our sense of humour about it. There are plenty of people out there who love Australians for our good humour and positive spirit. But each of us needs to give some thought to our international reputation when we travel, because it affects how we get treated when we go overseas, and the number of people who are willing to pay the air fare to visit us.

I had to argue with the Irishman in Santiago. For a start, it's hard to trust the opinion of any tourist who goes to every beach between Bondi and Byron and then accuses us of being two-dimensional beach bums.

There's much more to Australians than what's between the barbecue and the beach. Like what's on the barbecue, for example, whether it's medium-rare yet, if there are any waves, and, um, who won the cricket? (Probably us.)

Claire Buckis is a freelance journalist travelling around South America.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/12/09/1197135284098.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

old, but meh....

thoughts?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
well, we're better than everyone else, clearly. it's not our fault. we didn't mean to be Australian. we just got lucky.

seriously, though, if we have a reputation there's probably a reason. americans are way worse in the arrogance stakes though. i got stuck talking to an american tourist on the train once who insisted that American English is the only correct one and that I was speaking wrong and using incorrect grammar and spelling things wrong. like wtf.

kuroneko

HSC
Overgeneralisation in more ways than one. Not only would there *not* be people who think Aussies suck (I'm talking all over the world, of course), but to say/think all Australians are 'awful' is just ignorant. Same goes with any nation.

Meh anyway.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Who cares what a bunch of unwashed filthy aliens think of us anyways. We know we're better than them, and that's all that matters.

Foxodi

HSC
I agree, we have no history :D
And considering the amount of immigration that comes to Australia (esspecially compared to our own birth rates), its hard to define what is an 'Australian' anyway.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Foxodi said:
I agree, we have no history :D
And considering the amount of immigration that comes to Australia (esspecially compared to our own birth rates), its hard to define what is an 'Australian' anyway.

95% of things here is imported overseas. :(

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
The Londoner I overhead saying that Australia has no history was ignoring more than 40,000 years of Aboriginal culture — but what opportunity do visitors really have to explore this side of our history if we don't celebrate it ourselves?
Although I understand what the Londoner is getting at, at the same time he/she is exhibiting ignorance regarding indigenous Australia's history. And I agree with the author of the article, it is our fault when our own country does not 'celebrate it ourselves', it breeds ignorance in the kind of people that are most susceptible to ignorant or uneducated attitudes.

chicky_pie said:
I had to argue with the Irishman in Santiago.
I wouldn't have argued. The Irishman has probably had the misfortune of meeting more arrogant Australian travellers than good ones. Perhaps if he had the fortune of meeting more well-behaved Australians during his travels, hopefully his broad opinion on Australians may change. Or are there statistically more bad Australians out there than good ones, and is that why he seems to have met more of these types? Either way I'm not going to bother trying to change his attitude by starting an argument.

Secondly, being a traveller himself, the Irishman is likely to be a bad one too if he's shouting broad statements like that across tables in foreign countries to other travellers he's never actually met. What a great way to meet people. But I suppose it's the equivalent of making any other broad statement about seeing arrogant Americans and British travellers, the kind you see stinking up the place on the streets of Thailand and the beaches of Bali.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Although I understand what the Londoner is getting at, at the same time he/she is exhibiting ignorance regarding indigenous Australia's history. And I agree with the author of the article, it is our fault when our own country does not 'celebrate it ourselves', it breeds ignorance in the kind of people that are most susceptible to ignorant or uneducated attitudes.

I wouldn't have argued. The Irishman has probably had the misfortune of meeting more arrogant Australian travellers than good ones. Perhaps if he had the fortune of meeting more well-behaved Australians during his travels, hopefully his broad opinion on Australians may change. Or are there statistically more bad Australians out there than good ones, and is that why he seems to have met more of these types? Either way I'm not going to bother trying to change his attitude by starting an argument.

Secondly, being a traveller himself, the Irishman is likely to be a bad one too if he's shouting broad statements like that across tables in foreign countries to other travellers he's never actually met. What a great way to meet people. But I suppose it's the equivalent of making any other broad statement about seeing arrogant Americans and British travellers, the kind you see stinking up the place on the streets of Thailand and the beaches of Bali.

Why you quote me? I didn't wrote the article :eek:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
no, it's just that most australians really are bogans :D

I just realised that, or maybe bogans just end up going somewhere closer to home for holiday because it's cheap i.e Bali, Vietnam (*cough* drugs), thailand and etc. You won't see bogans in Japan or France etc, too expensive for them :D

Zrap

glock9
HSC
We think cause we are overseas we can act however we want
too cause its not like it's going to affect us once we get back to
Australia.
Shapelle Corby is a bogan and her sister/

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
I just realised that, or maybe bogans just end up going somewhere closer to home for holiday because it's cheap i.e Bali, Vietnam (*cough* drugs), thailand and etc. You won't see bogans in Japan or France etc, too expensive for them :D
I agree in part. There are plenty of 'poorer' backpackers or student travellers who travel through potentially expensive but great destinations like Europe or Japan, Africa, for a life-changing and enriching experience. But cheap unimaginative holiday destinations like certain parts of Thailand and Bali draws many likewise unimaginative bogan-type people who travel all that way only to impose their own boganism in the local culture, lie on a dirty plastic beaches during the day with other bogan tourists and then party in cheap dirty nightclubs all night with the rest of the other bogan tourists.

Which is why I refuse to go these bogan tourist hot spots. These places are just depressing.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Which is why I refuse to go these bogan tourist hot spots. These places are just depressing.

How do you know what these bogan 'hot spots' are like then. Ive been to some of those places and its really not that bad at all.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
blakegman said:
How do you know what these bogan 'hot spots' are like then.
Because I've been to some of these places before. :uhoh:

blakegman said:
Ive been to some of those places and its really not that bad at all.
What is your definition of 'not that bad'? I would always choose to go to a place where the local population is higher than the (hopefully non-existant) foreign bogan population, where the local cultural identity is intact and not specifically catered for these bogan tourists.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Just go to places where it's expensive, you won't see any bogans hanging around there, they'd be like 'ya mate thats past our budget i aint goin' :D

Zrap

glock9
HSC
lol Americans are hated more than us.
It's funny.

L-esky

HSC
lol I'll never forget when we got off the plane in narita airport in japan last year and we had to catch a bus to get to the school and we got stuck in this massive traffic jam coming out of tokyo. We were getting bit bored + excited so we started waving at all the cars going by us and we had our window open when this guy driving a truck pulled up next to us and he waved and said hi and stuff and then just before he was about to drive off he was like "where are you from?"
and we all said "australia" and he just laughed and said "yes that explains it".

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
L-esky said:
lol I'll never forget when we got off the plane in narita airport in japan last year and we had to catch a bus to get to the school and we got stuck in this massive traffic jam coming out of tokyo. We were getting bit bored + excited so we started waving at all the cars going by us and we had our window open when this guy driving a truck pulled up next to us and he waved and said hi and stuff and then just before he was about to drive off he was like "where are you from?"
and we all said "australia" and he just laughed and said "yes that explains it".

ahahhahahahah, I'm sure he meant it as a compliment, Aussies = too friendly? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)