• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arrogant Australians! We have a bad reputation overseas? (1 Viewer)

sirfeathers

HSC
Um, now remember that being Australians ourselves we are likely to only really take notice of things said about ourselves. Just about every country with well-travelled citizens will have some kind of cultural reputation attached to them, and bigger countries will almost certainly have negative ones. A lot of people thrive on generating cultural stereotypes for the sake of it (just look at us with the Poms when Ashes time comes around).

I don't think there's anything particularly malicious in this "arrogant Australian" perception, it's probably just a reflection of the numbers of us getting out and going overseas.

nikolas

HSC
The guy should of said back to the Irishmen something like,

"Yer and the Irish only care about what happens between the Pub and the brewery"

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
my god they're everywhere, these arrogant Aussies:

Taxpayers pay $144,000 for 'stupid' Australian man to be rescued from Alaska's Brooks Range wilderness

The Daily Telegraph

December 06, 2008 01:30am

Alaska rescue
Anger ... an Australian man has been labelled 'stupid' after an Alaskan trek went wrong.

* Aussie heads into Alaskan wilderness
* Locals say he was unprepared for trek
* Rescue costs $144,000

AN Australian who went unprepared into Alaska's winter wilds faced a frosty response after his $US93,000 ($144,000) taxpayer-funded rescue.

The man, who told rescuers his name was Dave Roberts before fleeing the US after the public backlash this week, spent more than two months on his planned 161km trek in the Brooks Range wilderness.

He was picked up by a seven-person rescue team after he set off a long-distance distress call, with the US Government paying for Roberts' accommodation and transport after the ordeal.

Locals and Alaskan media have branded Mr Roberts as stupid and arrogant, saying he was lucky to be alive after ignoring the advice of residents who warned him against heading to the isolated area.

The manager of the Alaskan resort where Mr Roberts stayed after his rescue said she was unimpressed government-funded agencies paid for his $US325-a-night suite and flights out.

"He was pretty arrogant for having just been rescued. He definitely wasn't humbled by the experience," Bettles Lodge manager Jamie Klaes said yesterday.
Related Coverage

I don't think he's stupid enough or else he would have qualified for an all expenses stay in the white house.

"It felt like he was being rewarded for stupidity. He got a free hotel room with a jacuzzi tub, free meals - a free rescue. Then he had the audacity to complain that we didn't have the internet here."

She said Mr Roberts, thought to be in his late 40s or early 50s, said before setting out that he was writing a book about his experience.

Mr Roberts was slammed by Alaskan media yesterday, with The Anchorage Daily News running the front-page headline "Into the wild without a clue, hiker rescued, then gets rude".

Ms Klaes' brother Tyler, who operates Bettles Air Service, said he refused to fly Mr Roberts out to be dropped off for his expedition back in late September because he did not have adequate gear.

"We told him to go back to Fairbanks and gear up and he said, 'I don't have the money for that'," he said.

Alaska's Rescue Co-ordination Centre sent a C-130 Hercules and Pavehawk helicopter from Anchorage for the three-hour flight to where Mr Roberts' beacon was set off about 80km west of Bettles.

Rescue Co-ordination Centre spokeswoman Maggie Moonin said she could not confirm the cost of the federally-funded operation but said it was considered a training mission.

"I'm sure it wasn't cheap," she said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24755591-38198,00.html

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
my god they're everywhere, these arrogant Aussies:

Taxpayers pay $144,000 for 'stupid' Australian man to be rescued from Alaska's Brooks Range wilderness

The Daily Telegraph

December 06, 2008 01:30am

Alaska rescue
Anger ... an Australian man has been labelled 'stupid' after an Alaskan trek went wrong.

* Aussie heads into Alaskan wilderness
* Locals say he was unprepared for trek
* Rescue costs $144,000

AN Australian who went unprepared into Alaska's winter wilds faced a frosty response after his $US93,000 ($144,000) taxpayer-funded rescue.

The man, who told rescuers his name was Dave Roberts before fleeing the US after the public backlash this week, spent more than two months on his planned 161km trek in the Brooks Range wilderness.

He was picked up by a seven-person rescue team after he set off a long-distance distress call, with the US Government paying for Roberts' accommodation and transport after the ordeal.

Locals and Alaskan media have branded Mr Roberts as stupid and arrogant, saying he was lucky to be alive after ignoring the advice of residents who warned him against heading to the isolated area.

The manager of the Alaskan resort where Mr Roberts stayed after his rescue said she was unimpressed government-funded agencies paid for his $US325-a-night suite and flights out.

"He was pretty arrogant for having just been rescued. He definitely wasn't humbled by the experience," Bettles Lodge manager Jamie Klaes said yesterday.
Related Coverage

I don't think he's stupid enough or else he would have qualified for an all expenses stay in the white house.

"It felt like he was being rewarded for stupidity. He got a free hotel room with a jacuzzi tub, free meals - a free rescue. Then he had the audacity to complain that we didn't have the internet here."

She said Mr Roberts, thought to be in his late 40s or early 50s, said before setting out that he was writing a book about his experience.

Mr Roberts was slammed by Alaskan media yesterday, with The Anchorage Daily News running the front-page headline "Into the wild without a clue, hiker rescued, then gets rude".

Ms Klaes' brother Tyler, who operates Bettles Air Service, said he refused to fly Mr Roberts out to be dropped off for his expedition back in late September because he did not have adequate gear.

"We told him to go back to Fairbanks and gear up and he said, 'I don't have the money for that'," he said.

Alaska's Rescue Co-ordination Centre sent a C-130 Hercules and Pavehawk helicopter from Anchorage for the three-hour flight to where Mr Roberts' beacon was set off about 80km west of Bettles.

Rescue Co-ordination Centre spokeswoman Maggie Moonin said she could not confirm the cost of the federally-funded operation but said it was considered a training mission.

"I'm sure it wasn't cheap," she said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24755591-38198,00.html
oh dear god, old people should be banned from doing adventurous things.

DeVenne

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
I just realised that, or maybe bogans just end up going somewhere closer to home for holiday because it's cheap i.e Bali, Vietnam (*cough* drugs), thailand and etc. You won't see bogans in Japan or France etc, too expensive for them :D
I must dispute this assertion. My brother has lived in Japan for three years, I have traveled to the country many times to visit him, and as a tourist myself.

The ski fields in Japan have been actually likened to the 'Bali of all ski fields', I assume because of the bogan clientele. I have not been to the ski fields and thus cannot back this up.

You say that bogans do not exist in Japan? While the number of 'gaijin' (or outsiders of any nationality, Anglo-Saxon ect) I have witnessed are small in number this is just a reflection on the total amount of Australians who visit the country. One young Australian male identified me as a foreigner in Osaka and asked 'where is a good place to get pissed around here?', charming.

Trust me they do exist. My brother moans about seeing Australians overseas and how he finds them embarrassing - I find Australians traveling overseas generally embarrassing.

Perhaps it is just time that Australian people came to the realisation that as a general rule - and particularly when compared with the reserved Japanese, we are bogans.

Last edited:

shoutoutloud

HSC
in relation to this thread i can thing of many more Nationailties way worse then us. They call us racist What about them?!?!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
shoutoutloud said:
in relation to this thread i can thing of many more Nationailties way worse then us. They call us racist What about them?!?!
It goes both ways, it goes both ways. We could argue deeper and deeper into this, and in fact if you go back far enough, you'll see that it's the English who started the crusades with extreme religious and racial prejudice against the savages in the Middle East. We go could back further and talk about how the Romans and further back the Egyptians and their slaves.

But in contemporary times, the Aussies can be pretty racist too. Remember Cronulla Beach? Pauline Hanson? The White Australia Policy just a few decades ago?

shoutoutloud

HSC
im saying that the true aussies didnt start it all. Yet we are getting blamed. A select few maybe.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
shoutoutloud said:
im saying that the true aussies didnt start it all. Yet we are getting blamed. A select few maybe.
Have you ever gone to a cricket game?

shoutoutloud

HSC
i wasnt talking about cricket. I was talking about the riot incident.

And no! i hate cricket
And Yes! i am Aussie (since Mary MacKillop was here my family was here)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
shoutoutloud said:
i wasnt talking about cricket. I was talking about the riot incident.
How it happened didn't matter in the end because what it ended up doing was it brought some of the aussie racist scum out into the open. It was absolute stupidity coming from both sides.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
bigb0yjames said:
do you have to be an anglo saxon to be a bogan?
I think so. Although the spirit of the bogan transcends ethnicity. You can find the spirit of the bogan in all races.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)