• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Arrogant Australians! We have a bad reputation overseas? (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Zrap said:
It's not as bad as a muslim on a plane

You know, from all the travelling I've done in the past few years, I have never seen a Muslim on any of our domestic flights, even on international flights (those who wear the hijab) I wear I saw NONE!! or even Nuns as well :(

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
chicky_pie said:
You know, from all the travelling I've done in the past few years, I have never seen a Muslim on any of our domestic flights, even on international flights (those who wear the hijab) I wear I saw NONE!! or even Nuns as well :(
I suppose some were there but without the scarf so they don't raise questions on authorities at the airport, who are so picky on them.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
You know something about us is that we as aussie's generally won't come out and criticise another country when travelling. We are in that way polite, as compared to the other travellers who seem to have nothing better to do than criticise us, for example hopw often has everyone had a pom whinging about australia and all of it's people generalising completely about our attitudes and such, it is a joke when we are such a multicultural society!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i like to see this arrogance as confidence. it is a fine line but we are proud of it.

in correspondence to nashie's reply. i was working at the scg when the pommies came for the ashes (cricket). in that period of 5 days, i have heard more whinging than i have in my entire life - it was ridiculous. they'd have a go at anything from a not-warm-enough pie to how they should get priority because they came from the 'motherland'.

in reply to all their comments, i'd like to go on the record as to have said 'fk you, and go back to where you came from'.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
wuddie said:
i like to see this arrogance as confidence. it is a fine line but we are proud of it.
If it's arrogance, the fine line has been crossed and that's nothing to be proud of.

wuddie said:
in reply to all their comments, i'd like to go on the record as to have said 'fk you, and go back to where you came from'.
I would've liked to see the looks on their faces.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
kuroneko said:
Overgeneralisation in more ways than one. Not only would there *not* be people who think Aussies suck (I'm talking all over the world, of course), but to say/think all Australians are 'awful' is just ignorant. Same goes with any nation.

Meh anyway.
i think asians are tightasses. i know im not wrong on that. theyre the most arrogant people in the world without question.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
wuddie said:
that's not generalising at all, because it is true! god you're a genius! please, say some more stuff so we can be enlightened.
fail..

juggernaut

HSC
this article made no sense to me, because its general knowledge around the world how good the character of australian people is

I for one, have worked in a place for a year with many many backpackers doing temp work, coming and going (from 3 day shifts to several months), meaning i am meeting about 8 or so different backpackers per week. A question i always ask in conversation with a backpacker is "Oh, so how are you finding australia?" and its rare to find a backpacker who when giving praise for australia (or sydney in this case), doesnt include reference to how amazing the people here are. Its always: "Oh its so beautiful here, beautiful weather, awesome people - i just love it"
So many of them do not want to go back home because of the amazing attributes australia has - people being a massive factor in this. they just find everyone so cool, laid back friendly and easy going, and we know how to have a good time

Ive also travelled around the world and the treatment towards us is nothing short of amazing, they LOVE us. As soon as they find out you're aussie theyre ecstatic. Also travelling around the world i constantly compare our people's nature to other countries.. and lets just say when i was in the states for 4 months, i MISSED home something severe - and when i jumped on that qantas flight and heard Aussie accents i was the happiest man ever. there is just no better people out there in the world. i loved america, and i wasnt 'home sick' at all, i just craved our easy going people that i have become so accustomed to

Just as every individual human being isnt free of people who dislike them.... the nicest guys/girls in the world still have people who hate them... as is going to be the case with australian population as a whole. but i have no doubt in my mind that we are the 'best people in the world'. i believe that stands for other countries perceptions of us, ASWELL as my own individual comparisons from travelling

long story short - this article is bullshit.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Tom Hyland The Age Melbourne.
May 11, 2008

THE brawl started late in a foreign bar and continued into the early morning. By the time the big Australians had finished they had wrecked the place, bashed at least three locals and forced everyone else out onto the street.

It was a violent confrontation on a distant beach early on Anzac Day, but there was nothing glorious or noble about the performance of these Australians.

When the police arrived, six of them ran, abandoning a mate who ended up in a police cell. He was so drunk he couldn't speak until 11.30 that morning.

It happened three weeks ago in one of the hundreds of bars at Patong beach on the Thai resort island of Phuket, which is drawing an increasing number of Australian visitors — many of them young, naive and, it seems, stupid.

"They were totally out of control and it was a full-on brawl," says Larry Cunningham, Australia's honorary consul in Phuket.

"The chief of police said to me: 'What is it about you Aussies that when you drink, you always have to fight?' "

The Australians who ran from the brawl were on a package tour and had to fly home the next day. So they took their mate's luggage and passport and dumped them at the police station. Then they left for the airport, leaving their mate behind.

"Considering it happened on Anzac Day, it was not a good look," says Cunningham.

The bloke left behind then contacted his mum back in suburban Sydney to send $4000 to pay compensation to the owners of the wrecked bar.

The brawl was not an isolated incident. Most are not reported and, increasingly, Cunningham is having to pick up the pieces as more Australian travellers either cause trouble or get into trouble.

There is every sign his workload will get heavier.

Official figures show almost 660,000 Australians visited Thailand last year, up 20% on the previous year. The figures don't show how many went to Phuket, but it's likely hundreds of thousands do, as the island is included in many cheap packages. Last year, according to Cunningham, Australians were the largest single national group visiting Phuket.

He attributes the increase to the drift away from Bali because of security concerns and the military coup in Fiji.

Other factors are cheap packages — depending on the season, return flights and eight days' accommodation on Phuket cost as little as $1200 — and direct flights.

Some Australians have always managed to get themselves in trouble overseas, but Cunningham says the situation on Phuket was getting worse.

"With the extra numbers, the percentage of yobbos and yahoos you're going to get here will rise," he says. Many have never been overseas before, are ignorant of local risks and drop their guard in the relaxed tropical pace.

"Some people just leave their brains behind when they go overseas and do things they just wouldn't do anywhere else."

Cunningham is a long-term resident of Phuket, where he is involved in property development.

His consular position is an honorary one, paying just $7500 a year, but he says it takes up a quarter of his time. While he says Phuket is a great place to visit, too many travellers don't realise it can be risky, and not just because Australians such as the Anzac Day brawlers cause trouble.

Phuket has warm weather, beautiful beaches, lots of outdoor activities, good food, hundreds of bars, and what the travel guides coyly refer to as a "vibrant nightlife".

It also has plenty of perils: aggressive touts, thieves, extortionists and rapists.

The risk was highlighted last year when a young Australian student was raped after a drinking binge with friends in Patong. She was so drunk that she couldn't even stand up but her friends, instead of taking her back to her hotel five minutes away, put her in a "tuk tuk", a motorised trishaw.

The young woman fell face down in the back of the tuk tuk, so they put her in the front seat with the driver, and gave him some money with instructions to take her back to her hotel.

"And then they went back to partying," Cunningham says. Their companion was driven to a secluded area and raped.

Last month, a 27-year-old Swedish tourist was stabbed to death after she resisted a rapist on a secluded Phuket beach. The following week, an Indian tourist was fatally stabbed when he tried to break up a fight at a full-moon party on the island of Phangan in southern Thailand.

The Federal Government's travel advisory for Thailand says petty crime is common and it warns of sexual assaults, drink spiking, assault and robbery in popular backpacker destinations.

It also warns unlicenced, inexperienced and uninsured travellers of the risk of hiring motorbikes and jet skis.

Cunningham stresses that Phuket is no more dangerous than anywhere else in the world.

"Nowhere in the world is 100% safe, and Phuket is no different," he says. "People come here and have an absolutely wonderful holiday, and people should not be deterred in any way from coming to Phuket.

"But if they do come to the entertainment areas, they need to be very careful because there are some people who prey on travellers. Being aware is just the most important thing."

bogans!! :rofl:

iamemanuel

SUPER CALLA FRIGGIN AWSUM
HSC
the poms are just jeleous coz they are pasty white scrawny tea drinking fatties and we are oh so tanned and muscular!! haha

moral of the story we dont care! we have fun they complain! life is good down under!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
More 'arrogant' aussies overseas

'Arrogant' Aussie tourist bashed to death in Goa

From correspondents in Mumbai

October 09, 2008 03:55pm
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

* Australian tourist bashed to death in Goa
* Allegedly attacked by waiters for being "arrogant"
* Security staff reportedly took part in bashing

WAITERS have allegedly beaten an Australian tourist to death for being "arrogant" while ordering a beer in an Indian restaurant.

John Kelly, 65, is reported to have died of internal injuries sustained when he was beaten by staff at the Club City Restaurant in the Indian resort region of Goa yesterday.

The incident follows the murder of 15-year-old British tourist Scarlett Keeling, who was allegedly raped and left for dead by two local men in Goa in February.

The Times of India and local reports said Mr Kelly's beating followed an altercation in which he displayed an "arrogant attitude".

He reportedly arrived in Goa on September 29 and entered the bar at 8am local time on Wednesday.

Some reports said security staff at the bar joined in the bashing.

Others said Mr Kelly was set upon by "a group" of waiters, who also tore up his clothes.

Deputy Superintendent Gundu Naik said Mr Kelly died 10 hours after being attacked while drinking a beer in the bar at Calangute, about 10km from the state capital, Panaji.

"He died 10 hours after the assault, while being treated at Goa Medical College and Hospital here,'' Superintendent Naik was quoted as saying.

"He entered into an argument with the waiter which resulted in the altercation. The deceased was pushed down and assaulted.''

No further details were released but Superintendent Bosco George said two waiters and a security guard at the premises had been detained, but not arrested, in connection with the incident.

The Times of India quoted another local police officer as saying that the incident was being treated as murder.

With AFP​

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
More 'arrogant' aussies overseas

'Arrogant' Aussie tourist bashed to death in Goa

From correspondents in Mumbai

October 09, 2008 03:55pm
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

* Australian tourist bashed to death in Goa
* Allegedly attacked by waiters for being "arrogant"
* Security staff reportedly took part in bashing

WAITERS have allegedly beaten an Australian tourist to death for being "arrogant" while ordering a beer in an Indian restaurant.

John Kelly, 65, is reported to have died of internal injuries sustained when he was beaten by staff at the Club City Restaurant in the Indian resort region of Goa yesterday.

The incident follows the murder of 15-year-old British tourist Scarlett Keeling, who was allegedly raped and left for dead by two local men in Goa in February.

The Times of India and local reports said Mr Kelly's beating followed an altercation in which he displayed an "arrogant attitude".

He reportedly arrived in Goa on September 29 and entered the bar at 8am local time on Wednesday.

Some reports said security staff at the bar joined in the bashing.

Others said Mr Kelly was set upon by "a group" of waiters, who also tore up his clothes.

Deputy Superintendent Gundu Naik said Mr Kelly died 10 hours after being attacked while drinking a beer in the bar at Calangute, about 10km from the state capital, Panaji.

"He died 10 hours after the assault, while being treated at Goa Medical College and Hospital here,'' Superintendent Naik was quoted as saying.

"He entered into an argument with the waiter which resulted in the altercation. The deceased was pushed down and assaulted.''

No further details were released but Superintendent Bosco George said two waiters and a security guard at the premises had been detained, but not arrested, in connection with the incident.

The Times of India quoted another local police officer as saying that the incident was being treated as murder.

With AFP​
Aw wow, I was expecting a 24 year old or something, but a 65? LOL.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
Aw wow, I was expecting a 24 year old or something, but a 65? LOL.
Well now, why would aussie arrogance be limited to the young 'uns only?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)