Assessment ranks are in! (1 Viewer)

small-thing

HSC
UGH. THEY GOT MINE WRONG.. I DROPPED DOWN TO LAST IN ART, I'm going to rage to the school on monday.

HSC
Uni Grad
Got ranked as 11th in legal studies, jumped up from 12. However, english advanced is reported as being out of 151 instead of 157 :(

Last edited:

MzG1zi

HSC
Yeah, its pretty ridiculous that they can't just put people in on equal rankings, but one of my teachers said that it 'wouldn't be to either person's advantage' to do so :s
im pretty sure they do have people on equal rankings. the school has to send in whole numbers to the board (as to what my teachers told me) and seeing as most the courses in my school have >100 students, it would be impossible to give everyone different rankings as ur ranking is dependant on how high ur assessment mark is compared to other people doing the course... and its not possible to have a mark of -7 or whatever as would be the case with ur reasoning.

rayy_bann

HSC
Well I was told by my teacher that it would be in my best interest that i come 2nd, even though the other student and I were separated by *wait for it* 0.2 of a percentage point.

This was done in the event that one of us under-performed (which usually is me -_-) and given that both of us were separated by the rest of the cohort by a large margin, there was a greater chance of our marks affecting each other.

In other words.....I hope I still reach my goal :L

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I was tied 1st in Advanced English but it was reported as 2nd place. I really don't know who to talk to now seeing as my school is closed until monday. I have some teacher's emails should I contact them? Is there a paper to fill out? Its such short notice seeing as the 'closing date' for these amendments is 15th of november, am i right?

please help guys, thanks!
On my report it said I was tied first BUT I was really first by only a few points. (e.g. .75 and the other was .65) Therefore I got the first ranking but in the school system the marks just round up to the whole number. It would be correct I am 99% sure.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
Im happy :)

15110 Economics 2 3 / 12
15140 English (Advanced) 2 21 / 69
15220 Legal Studies 2 1 / 17
15270 Modern History 2 2 / 17
15290 Music 1 2 5 / 13
15370 Studies of Religion I 1 8 / 82

tambam

HSC
Well I was told by my teacher that it would be in my best interest that i come 2nd, even though the other student and I were separated by *wait for it* 0.2 of a percentage point.

This was done in the event that one of us under-performed (which usually is me -_-) and given that both of us were separated by the rest of the cohort by a large margin, there was a greater chance of our marks affecting each other.

In other words.....I hope I still reach my goal :L
Its not in your best interest to be 2nd, it only benefits the person coming first, especially if you're more likely to under perform.

Chloe238

HSC
I have no idea if mine where correct considering my school never told anyone there final ranks unless they where first. Plus, how come they don't do ranking for vet courses?

michaeljennings

HSC
I have no idea if mine where correct considering my school never told anyone there final ranks unless they where first. Plus, how come they don't do ranking for vet courses?
I dont know because i dont do vet courses, but I heard that vet courses only go on external mark

michaeljennings

HSC
I was 3/104 for MX2 and got bumped up to 1/104.. hmmm.

I'll keep quiet about this. ;)
LOL wow lucky you haha. You should ask the person who came 2nd what their reported rank is though. Because chances are they could be 1 with you meaning all 3 of you are tied on 3. A lot of people at my school moved up ranks to the exact same rank for maths. Originally I was the only person ranked 7th for extension one but now at least 3 other people have joined me

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
LOL wow lucky you haha. You should ask the person who came 2nd what their reported rank is though. Because chances are they could be 1 with you meaning all 3 of you are tied on 3. A lot of people at my school moved up ranks to the exact same rank for maths. Originally I was the only person ranked 7th for extension one but now at least 3 other people have joined me
I'm sure that we aren't tied, since we all got to see our ranks and marks on a big power point presentation (not very private for those who didn't do so well).

I already fired off an email to my maths teacher. I feel too guilty 'scamming' these ranks away from them.

addoil

HSC
I did an accelerated HSC course meaning I know what my rank is as they gave us a yearly report for our prelim year.
According to student bos, I moved up by one spot...
Should I be concerned / send an inquiry since the numbers don't match or chill about it?

khfreakau

HSC
LOL yeah babbyyyy, all my ranks were accurate except mx1, which went from 9 to 7 / 166. same as you now mj! bahahaha, i don't think we should be, i only beat you in one assessment, but then again you only beat me by one mark in like every other assessment hahaha. me anthony and kevin got pushed up to 7... i imagine josh would have been too, since he was 9th too? i haven't talked to him though.

also, weirdguy, what school do you go to? you have a considerably large candidature for mx2, it must be a top selective school :O

myafanatic

HSC
I was so surprised by MX1 - I tied first with a couple of others but it still looks pretty. :D

Kamal15

HSC
Its not in your best interest to be 2nd, it only benefits the person coming first, especially if you're more likely to under perform.
Actually that may not be 100% true. If two students are entered tied first from your school it actually causes a bit of a dillemma. You are all probably aware by now that the highest internal school mark that someone in your school gets is the highest hsc test mark achieved by someone in your cohort. Usually the guy who comes first internally will get the highest HSC mark so the two marks become the same.

In the situation that two people are tied first, typically they will average the the two highest hsc marks to be attained and award that as the school mark to the students who are first. I'll give you an example, in modern history me and one other student were tied first. The other student was quite obviously smarter than me, but I somehow managed to kill the trial and ended up on par. The modern head teacher offered to separate us by putting her first and me second, which seemed fair when we analysed it as above. But on further discussion with the other student we decided that it would be fairest to both of us if we stayed equal. What happened was I ended up with 96 as my HSC mark and they got 94. That got averaged to 95 for our internal marks. It didn't affect me because had I been first outright I would have had 96 and 96 giving me an HSC mark of 96. Now I had 96 95 giving me an HSC mark of 96. The other student got 94 95 and overral HSC mark of 95.

Sorry if that makes absolutely no sense, but I'm saying is that there is an argument there to separate the two students so they don't impact each other. Most teachers who have anything to do with the way the Board of Studies operates will do this and it isn't as bad as you think!

abc123yoyo

HSC
I have questions: to log into your student online thingo ur student number is 8 digits right? and your pin HAS to be 4 digits? I cant even access mine :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)