• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Attention Telstra Users (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
soo umm
where did you get your ps2 chipped?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Newbie
soo umm
where did you get your ps2 chipped?
Let's see now... I went to...

my bedroom table. ;) This shouldn't be the topic of discussion and, even though this isn't a rule, I think it is skating on very thin ice. It's not warez, but it's close enough to it IMO.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by psycho_mushy

If you choose one of our Unlimited* plans, your speed may be slowed to 64kbps once you exceed 10GB of usage during a calendar month. As with all our BigPond Broadband plans, you will need to adhere to our Acceptable Use Policy.

*Speed may be slowed to 64kbps after 10GB; Service cannot be used for unauthorised purposes set out in the Acceptable Use Policy(AUP).[/I]
how does that compare with normal lines? i mean, how fast is cable/broardband (i don't know the difference) normally, and a dialup modem is 56kbps right? so it will slow down to slightly faster than dialup?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
how fast is cable/broardband (i don't know the difference) normally
Broadband = ADSL, Satellite, ISDN (technically), Cable, among other emerging technologies.

Narrowband = Dialup, or 56K.

Cable operates at 10Mbit in Australia, which, if you want imperical values, would be about 1.25MB/s at it's theoretical peak. Ordinarily cable users can expect speeds in the hundreds of KB's per second, on average (on an uncapped connection, you would not be surprised to see 500-700KB/s, a hundred times faster than dialup). Optus advertises their connection to be 100x faster within Australia, but of course, it isn't unusual to download at 200-300KB/s from overseas either, on cable.

Dialup modems are 56K, correct. Once you've exceeded the limit, you'll be capped to 64kbps, which is slightly faster than dial-up, correct. :)

iiNet (ADSL, not Telstra Cable though) cap to 72kbps, which isn't too much of a difference between 56K, but it is still significant.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ok thanks, i am just looking up some others, capping is crap, you basically go back to dialup, but i suppose its ok because the phone line is always free

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by fatmuscle
www.hotstuffworks.com

read it urself
howstuffworks :)
capping is crap, you basically go back to dialup, but i suppose its ok because the phone line is always free
Actually, you'd rather be capped than surcharged at $139 per GB thereafter. 10GB is plenty for Telstra customers who have been on 3GB since December 2001. It's a welcome change.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
howstuffworks :)

Actually, you'd rather be capped than surcharged at $139 per GB thereafter. 10GB is plenty for Telstra customers who have been on 3GB since December 2001. It's a welcome change.
lol, i was wondering why it wouldn't work

yeah for telstra it's ok, but i'm looking at other isps where people are capped at less than 10GB

Huy

HSC
N/A
lol, i was wondering why it wouldn't work

yeah for telstra it's ok, but i'm looking at other isps where people are capped at less than 10GB
Cablers:
* OptusNet (formerly Optus@Home Internet) 3GB, capped to 20kbps after usage has been exceeded, uncapped speed.
* Telstra Cable - now 10GB, uncapped speed, capped to 64kbps after usage has been exceeded for that month.

ADSL:
Plenty of providers, including InterNode, iiNet, Netspace, Swiftel, DART, BigBlue and even Telstra ADSL.

Plans are becoming better now, but be sure to do your own research on both technologies and ISPs.

psycho_mushy

HSC
I actually read that telstra intended to release cable as being an unlimited broadband alternative.

However, when ADSL was new ppl with them had problems trying to get good download speeds becasue of the bottlenecks from cable.

So they introduced capping for ADSL users, but to be fair they did it to cable as well. It sounds as if they had no intention to cap cable, but it was in all fairness to the aDSL users and the ACCC or whatever they call it..

so yeah cable is designed to be unlimited, but its those damn gay ADSLers... Telstra doesn't care about aDSL too much because it rents out its lines to other companies anyway and still makes money, but ideally with the new unlimted* plans being released, it was more towards giving cable users more freedom, as was intentionally planned

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
I actually read that telstra planned to release cable as being an unlimited broadband alternative.
That was the case in 1999-2000. Telstra BigPond Advance (BPA), on the old Freedom Deluxe plans (now replaced with the 3GB Residential) had been, originally, unlimited - sticking to the AUP, with warning and caution emails sent out if you were dowloading more than usual (eg 5GB per day for a week).
However, when ADSL was new ppl with them had problems trying to get good download speeds becasue of the bottlenecks from cable.
They are two different technologies. The bottlenecks associated with ADSL are caused by the line itself and distance away from the telephone exchange - ADSL bottlenecks are not influenced by Cable (it is on a complete, separately laid cable).
they introduced capping for ADSL users, but to be fair they did it to cable as well.
Telstra were never fair, and they don't cap cable connections "to be fair" towards their ADSL customers.
It sounds as if they had no intention to cap cable, but it was in all fairness to the aDSL users and the ACCC or whatever they call it..
Initially it was unlimited without any caps, however "the strain placed upon their infrastructure and network" (their excuse) with the influx of new broadband customers forced Telstra to implement their 3GB cap, as well as to make a profit (it's business, not personal). It was not in fairness to their own ADSL customers, but as you have stated, in compliance with the ACCC and competition (Telstra have a monopoly over Internet connections in Australia).
so yeah cable is designed to be unlimited, but its those damn gay ADSLers
That's not the justification for Telstra's actions, sorry. Telstra are receiving money from their own customers, whether it is from ADSL or Cable - the type of Broadband does not mattter to Telstra, they're in it for the money (but now, under new management and a new Telecommunications minister), these times, they are a-changing. :)

Winston

HSC
I'm not sure if that's the reason for Telstra's new plans, but for one, the new care taker of Bigpond Justin Milne's i think that's him seems to be trying to bring bigpond back to life, with the new site first, then new ads, then introducing new plans, but these new plans seem to be either trying to lure back the much lost customers from previous times, i.e. the outages that were quite prevalent earlier on this year, as well the e-mail problems, and other minor problems, the fact that Telstra always says "Users don't even exceed 3 gigs" is quite silly, we can't even exceed that limit lol :p... unless everyone has so much money on their hands to prove telstra wrong! :p.. haha, but really think of this logically 0.139 cents per additional megabyte, that's silly do you know how much they make out of that megabyte, heaps i tell you, purchasing data from overseas, especially in such large bulks probably equates to even lesser than 0.2 cents! But telstra likes hiking up the prices.

psycho_mushy

HSC
telstra buys mb.. who the fuck do they pay it to?

the government or the cable company? what?!

Winston

HSC
telstra buys mb.. who the fuck do they pay it to?

the government or the cable company? what?!

huh? ISP's purchase their data you know.

Winston

HSC
yeah... how and who they pay to
Not sure on that one but i know that they do purchase their data.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, also why is broadband in america so much cheaper?
More ISPs, more customer choice, more competition.

Better technology and services, bigger intake of customers from all over America.

The reason why prices are low is because of the above factors (and more). If, in Australia, we had a few more companies and ISPs operating, that'd drive the market and lower our bills leading to greater competition for the one market (whether it be DSL or Cable), ultimately prices will start to fall if customers are given a large selection of plans, different companies and so on.

:)

Winston

HSC
And to add to that, i don't think Australia is caring about being behind on technology, the fact that we always are anyways, and i remember a few years ago when Bill Gates came over here i think it was for olympics he even critcised telstra's poor plans and actions and cost, and not allowing Australia's tech industry to actually grow, and the fact that MS Wanted to make some of their products more web based aiming towards broadband 24 hrs users, it was much harder, if anyone remembers this i'm sure Huy would, MS Australia actually sent a complaint into the ACCC about telstra's poor plans etc but i so thought something was gonna happen but nothing did.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yep, I remember that article. Billy wanted our Internet industry to grow and proper and basically bagged out our current situation (past situation) with cable, pricing and excess usage charges. Bill Gates has power and wealth, but that didn't really budge or change anything really, as you've noted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)