Australian Science Olympiads (1 Viewer)

PrettyVacant

HSC
Re: Science Olympiads

School should provide you with plenty.

Haha,that Saddle club chick was on the Biology Olympiad team! Wow!

HSC
N/A

PrettyVacant said:
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is considering doing the entrance exam & if you're also doing training for it.

Well I'll need training. =D But I was also wondering how much commitment one would need to undertake "training" in 1, 2 or 3 sciences as "preparation" for the science olympiad exam? Would it severely affect schoolwork and study?

Anyone have any experience?

=) Thanks.
I myself have no real experience, but training can be arranged with your school, I believe; that is more or less the procedure as my Head Teacher tells me. I'm not too sure, so I recommend you ask .

"Kenny Chan"... omg. Dux Chem; Dux Phys; UAI 100.

Anyway, I suppose it would affect school work, but not that severely. Training for all one, two, or three of the ISO's available? I suppose an hour a day per science per week. Study? Consider it study, as it is more or less the same as it.

Tutoring won't be any good here, unfortunately.
Just wondering if anyone is considering doing the entrance exam & if you're also doing training for it.
Now, this has been the thing that's been bugging me; my Head Teacher of Science says that for one to participate they should be in the Top 10 in the subjects, which is, of course, definitely extremely contested at my school, but oh yes, it's feasible, absolutely - even first is, nay, it's definite and fixed!

That I shall also ask teachers, the Head Teacher, those who've partaken in this previously, and teachers of other schools.
LottoX said:
Also, apparently if you represent Australia, you get + points into {sic} your UAI... Don't knwo {sic} for sure though.
Are you serious?

This year's locations:
Phys: Isfahan, Iran; Chem: Moscow, Russia; Bio: Saskatoon, Canada.
The AU ASO website said:
Students competing the National Qualifying Examinations must be in year 11 or lower in 2007. To be eligible for consideration as an ASO scholar, students must:

* hold an Australian passport or be eligible to obtain one by March 2008;
* be under the age of twenty years in July of 2008; and
* not intend to enrol at a University before July 2008.

Schools are invited to nominate up to 5 students each in the Biology, Chemistry and Physics Examinations. Additional registrations may be accepted where it can be demonstrated that students have shown outstanding ability and commitment, for example through their involvement in extra-curricular preparation activities. Please contact the ASI office if you have students in this category.
Phys: http://www.jyu.fi/tdk/kastdk/olympiads/
Bio: http://www.ibo-info.org/
Chem:
PrettyVacant said:
if you're also doing training for it.
Well, I'm not so sure on the meaning of training here, but I've done the HSC course for all sciences (the ones that are seen as sciences in the eyes of the mass), and sit in for lectures of all sorts quite regularly. If that's training, I guess; but I doubt it is.
It's hardly format, though.
Would it severely affect schoolwork and study?
Re-answering now, should what I've done and what I do count as training, I'd say it's not that disruptive, and hardly as disruptive as the homework that I get from English and whatnot, and the extra-curricular activities that I do do.
SS said:
No problem Sounds interesting, might've have tried out last year if I had any willpower back then.
You, like anyone else, could have done it in Yr 7. I know that Ruse does it in earlier years, which is most depressing.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC

Lucid Scintilla said:
You, like anyone else, could have done it in Yr 7. I know that Ruse does it in earlier years, which is most depressing.
Indeed, but at the level of knowledge I had back then, there would have been no need for me to apply and find out I was not going to go well in it.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Is this for any school? it sounds really interesting

HSC
N/A

LottoX said:
Lucid, let me remind you that "into" is not spelt incorrectly. "knwo" was a typo though.
Into your UAI just sounds not so right. However, there is no need to sound acerbic.:)
SoulSearcher said:
Indeed, but at the level of knowledge I had back then, there would have been no need for me to apply and find out I was not going to go well in it.
Why of course, how silly of me. We have science freaks at SBHS - year sevens discussing, let alone cracking intelligent, witty jokes about quantum physics, is never good for the State, for sure.

Back then in Year Seven, if I recall correctly, the only school that did any training was - well, well, guess who? - JR.
Kujah said:
Is this for any school? it sounds really interesting
Yes, no; yo, nes.
I recall reading about a minimal number of five per school.

Maybe that was the max, but there really isn't a max.

van.tango

HSC

It is indeed for anyschool. I'd love to do it but I'd just rather not sit an exam and get a mark of 5 percent.

HSC
N/A

van.tango said:
It is indeed for anyschool. I'd love to do it but I'd just rather not sit an exam and get a mark of 5 percent.
It's still good to try, I suppose.
Anyway, you'd do better than that for sure.

@LottoX: A thought at the moment, and it goes along the lines of "I'm sorry if I, perhaps, may have seemed like a troll in any mode or done anything to stir your contempt. That said, I'm not implying that I would normally be a troll, or not; take that bit about trolling for what you will, anyone and everyone."

HSC
N/A

LottoX said:
I hold an intrinsic antipathy for all animadversion directed at my patois
HAHA.:)
Okay, okay. No hard feelings whatsoever? Refer to my other posts where I attempt to explain that I have no hard-wire mechanism or intent to troll.:)

Period. Please. Not thusly

:)

DayOT

HSC

Training is only as much work as you put into it. If you make the January camp, you have to study for an exam in March, which is where it does interfere with school work (exam Week 6, assessments Week 8 >.<). This is why it is advisable to do the whole thing earlier where possible. (not that you guys can do it earlier, I suppose, given that this is the Prelim forum :) )

PrettyVacant

HSC

LottoX said:
I hold an intrinsic antipathy for all animadversion directed at my patois
=( *small vocabulary*

=| The note said there was no obligation to continue if you don't want to =D Oh plus the person running it is called DR. MURDOCH...oooh. =D

HSC

Hahaha some guy from my school was in the Australian Physics Olympiad team and he got to go to really exotic places....like Kazakstan! lol

HSC
N/A

LottoX said:
There was a Dr. Murdoch as North Sydney Boys... She was pedantic, but if you got on her nice side, she'd give you some hxc secrets.
hxc = hardcore.
Oooh.

I asked my teacher, and I'm guaranteed a spot regardless, it seems.:confused:
The exams, as I've checked out, are pretty serious stuff, with the content being past-HSC level, Uni level. So if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

There are no perks; no added marks 'into' your UAI. Just a cash prize, and paid-for trip to wherever. If you reach the National level, the school pays for you; if you reach International, the Commonwealth of Australia pays. Pretty swell, either way, but it seems a bit strenuous and stressing.

HSC
N/A

LottoX said:
I know the content that you get taught after you've been informed that you're selected is 1st Year University level, but I'm not sure of the exams. The site should have past papers, at least I remember they had past papers.

http://www.aso.edu.au/www/index.cfm?itemid=31
Yeh, did them all last year, and found some rather challenging, while others easy-peasy-Chinesey/Japanesey. Also, I think that they only start from 2000 or something, so there aren't that many - but they'll keep you busy for a while.
Right now, life's to hectic to study for the qualifier exams, but I'd surely like to do something beneficial for the school soon.

Oh, this thing has so many stages of culling.:(

Albert surname, from my school, is apparently going to rep Australia in Chem. Wow. So there is a chance to pursue this to the international level.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

The physics ones are pretty interesting. IMHO that's the standard they should be aiming for, for all year 12 physics. If you pick up a good first year uni physics book you should be able to work out most of it.

HSC
N/A

Just use the syllabi on the website.

I think phys is the easiest one and chem the hardest, but just give whichever you like a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)