Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (1 Viewer)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
SMH today predicted a 3-5-1-1, with Kewell playing an almost Wayne Rooney role to support Viduka. Doubt that'll be it though.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
I also dont think he'll employ a 3-5-1-1. 3-5-1-1 packs the midfield too heavily for me, almost too close to a 3-6-1, which has never been a hit. I like the idea of kewell playing that role behind Dukes, but I'd like to see Aloisi or Thompson (I think hes out tho) playing alongside Viduka. Dukes plays better when he has other strikers running off him, Thompson would do that well.

HSC
nedzelic said:
did anyone see the back of telegraph today? now, unfortunately this is the only time in my life i've read it and i had to endure this crap

i mean say what you like about los celestes "tactics" and mind games and the like, but a think this was going a little too far - for a professional journalost and newspaper, supposed to be fair, neutral and alll that
the headline in size 80 font was
"TRAMPOSOS*"
"*Tha's Spanish for Cheaters"

Now come one, that's too far, really
Fucking Telegrapgh tools
Haha, you should've seen what was in mx yesterday...

Australia's best tabloid!

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I can see Thompson coming on at half time for a midfielder, depending on how the first half is going.

Jimmy_B

HSC
in other news:

somewhere said:
Uruguays coach has filed a request with The Uruguayan Bureau of Metereology to have the weather changed. He says he is concerned that a fine sunny day will advantage the Australians. Uruguay are Uruguay, he said, and the weather at our home ground should be that which Uruguay decide.
;)

nedzelic

HSC
i'll be there on the 16th

um, really, the number of different articles that i've read in the past 2 weeks suggesting what side hiddink will put out andx in which formation - it is really amazing. if they are all correct then we are gpoign to play with 16 palyers tomorrow - all starting!
i mean really, it is the talked about game and the journos really have no idea. you why they have no idea, b/c el maetsro Hiddink doesn't reveal anything - neither does Arny. How could the journso possibly know anything?
Even a day before the game when they have viewed trainign sessions (although one was closed - apparantly an anomale for Hiddink) they still have no idea. anbody read the SMH and Australian today? They both say, 'well judging by yesterdays session' ' it is clear that' 'hiddink will employ a three back' 'hiddink will emply a four back' and they both claim that Richard Morales' hight will be compabetd by Popa and then the other claismLubo-mobile. also, the SMH claimed we would play a 3-5-2, with kewell, culina and breciano in the same team - ie with culina on the left, which was very unliekly from what hiddink had said - surely he had intimated that kewell would definetly not start in uruguay.

Oh well, they're just trying to sell the rag, can't wai till tomorrow. anyone watchin it at Jamberoo Pub? With J.W Brother running the joint?

A bit of advice for everyone: Don't chew your nails today; leave some for tomorrow

Also, for anyone going to Sydney on Wednesday - where Gold bitches!

Vamos matar el uruguay!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
yay i've got my green and gold

but i cant join my G&Garmy counterparts in homebush which sucks :(

4-5-1 would suit us better than 3-5-1-1, With the 4-5-1 Kewell/culina/cahill can/could all drop in behind viduka when we attack...

we'll see it all tomorrow come game time

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
From what I gathered from ESPN's Press Pass yesterday, which I reckon is a somewhat credible source, their scouts and panel forsee a 4-5-1, whereby:
GK: Kalac
RB: Neill
LB: Chipperfield
CB: Thwaite
CB: Vidmar
RM: Culina
LM: Kewell
CM: Bresciano
CM: Emerton
CM: Grella
CF: Viduka

They also identified, and I think rightly so, the Uruguayan's Real Madrid - based Right Back, Carlos Diogo's, perennial tendency to keep charging ahead and leaving an exploitable gap in his defence, akin to Ashley Cole and Roberto Carlos. Since they consider Kewell to be a starter, they reckon Australia should capitalise on this. Personally, I'd rather we use Kewell off the bench in the second-half in Montevideo, and then hand him a starting berth back in Sydney. In any case, hopefully we employ the 4-5-1 system. The only problem which I see with this, and as pointed out by 'bj_Bhoy', is the inherent danger that we might end up sitting back way too deep, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that we'd get slaughtered if we do that. Hopefully Hiddink has done enough to embed the idea that we must keep play in the centre of the park, and not in our own, defending would really have to start off from the forwards.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
in other news:

somewhere said:
Uruguays coach has filed a request with The Uruguayan Bureau of Metereology to have the weather changed. He says he is concerned that a fine sunny day will advantage the Australians. Uruguay are Uruguay, he said, and the weather at our home ground should be that which Uruguay decide.
;)

Dont worry, rest assured that John O'Neill is doing the upmost possible in ensuring that FIFA maintain their stance that the weather will be "fine".

nedzelic

HSC
see my point, ESPN have got another view!
personally, i wouldn't trust ESPN as far as i could throw Tommy Smyth the fat bastard
Americans know sweet fuck all - but then again 'pundits' like Mike Coker-head know even less; if Derek rae came up with that team maybe (cos he's a fellow Scot)
But seriiuosly, the truth is clearly, evidenced by the fact every journo has his own idea of what he 'knows' is going to happen, no one knows what will happen - it's all guess work. in the end one of them, by luck may be correct

nedzelic

HSC
i'm alot more nervous than i was for the HSC - and i needed 93!
Fuck, i hate this time of year (well this tiem of every four years)
I can't say i remember losing to the Argies in 93 but i can vividly remember the unspeakable game of 97 and then of course 4 years ago.

Revenge!!!!!!

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Hmm is there a list of players from Aust who are 1 yellow card away from being banned from the 2nd leg? that is my main worry.

anyway bring it on, i'll be at club marconi and 7am cheering them on.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
copious said:
Hmm is there a list of players from Aust who are 1 yellow card away from being banned from the 2nd leg? that is my main worry.
Yes, and unfortunately they're not bench players either. Cahill, Bresciano, Kalac, Emerton, Aloisi, Grella and Neill.

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Yes, and unfortunately they're not bench players either. Cahill, Bresciano, Kalac, Emerton, Aloisi, Grella and Neill.
I think Hiddink is rightfully 'upset' that these players picked up cautions in the lead-up to the Play-offs. It's difficult to fathom that these yellow cards were picked up against the Solomon Islanders, of which the majority were in the 2nd leg, at which point we were already 6-up on aggregate. It would be bitterly disappointing if that comes back to bite us, especially with the likes of Neill, considering how thin we are in defence.

Jimmy_B

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I hope they lose that way I don't have to hear about them anymore.
you want your own country to lose? at anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)