• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
You can't say that Australia really had a goal opportunity.

As usual, our defence was poor.

Bring back Muscat, tell him to deck Recoba and get sent off.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Nice first half, edgy second half... but nonetheless, we're still in it!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
What i'm worried about is that a defensive urugayan team will be very hard to score against. And if we conceed 1 goal, we're fucked.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
flyin' said:
Nice first half, edgy second half... but nonetheless, we're still in it!
Yeah, absolutely. We're looking better than we did 4 years ago in terms of the way we played.
I had dreams of us losing by 2 or more goals, so this is a great result

Generator

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
I think there was desire and I thought we played a good game. So did uruguay. All that shaped the score was an unlucky free kick.
Sorry, but apart from 20 odd minutes, I couldn't see it from the team as whole.

I really didn't understand the Viduka/Aloisi switch. That seemed like a poor tactical choice given that Kewell isn't exactly the central, ball-playing partner that a player like Aloisi requires.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
We are still in it which is the main thing...... but there was no way that the 'foul' leading to the goal was a foul.... the urugauyan player ran into the aussie player...... last time i check the rules didn't work that way.... ah well... bring on wednesday!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I suspect that Guus was saving Timmy for the second leg. I don't understand how Culina had a good overall game (SBS commentators?!). We only had Grella who was a ball winner - we needed a midfield presence. Kewell isn't going to score... so unless he can cross, he should've been benched. Viduka and Aloisi together up front would've been nice, but anways. Bring on Thwaite!!!

HSC
Tony Vidmar really stood up in the 2nd half - he along with Culina, Neill and Chipperfield were my picks for the best players on the ground. Emerton turned the ball over a tad too many times and Kewell was M.I.A for most of the match.

I think Australia underestimated the quality of the wide players for Uruguay - I sure did! Those two bald players on the right were causing havoc, and Pablo Garcia played well in the midfield. Recoba was always dangerous but our back line did its job.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
As a forward/attacking midfielder, did Kewell take a shot on goal? All I seem to remember him doing was tracking back, then getting forward, and delivering an awful cross time and time again... it was funny though. He wasn't entirely M.I.A.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Our defence iz still too slow fo Uruguayz attack, that will alwayz be the worry in the second leg when we go fo the goal and leave our backline exposed. If we concede an away goal it would be a disaster.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Our defence iz still too slow fo Uruguayz attack, that will alwayz be the worry in the second leg when we go fo the goal and leave our backline exposed. If we concede an away goal it would be a disaster.
Our defence is still too slow for Uruguays' attack, that will always be the worry in the second leg when we go for the goal and leave our backline exposed. If we concede an away goal it would be a disaster.

I think we're underestimating the power of the 80 or so thousand that will back telstra stadium on wednesgay. We can get pretty passionate as a nation if we feel that we can win. This is the case, as it's out best chance in 8 years.
If it goes to penalties, the crowd will come in too giving us a great advantage

7th Sign

HSC
dam hell angry a goal would hav ebeen nice :D :(

oh well weds game is on us I hope we win

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Odds are in!

1. URUGUAY 1.33
2. AUSTRALIA 3.20

shit. that's not a bad return, actually. whilst i still have big doubts as to whether or not we can make it, this is a relatively good return.

7th Sign

HSC
stazi said:
Odds are in!

1. URUGUAY 1.33
2. AUSTRALIA 3.20

shit. that's not a bad return, actually. whilst i still have big doubts as to whether or not we can make it, this is a relatively good return.

shit what this with ?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
In other areas, spain are practically through after a 5-1 win with about a minute left.

Other results (all games have 2 legs):

Norway - Czech Republic 0-1
Spain - Slovakia 5 -1 (minute to go)
Switzerland - Turkey 2-0
Trinidad and Tobago - Bahrain 0-0 (12 minutes played)

This is turning out to be one interesting world cup. Lots of new teams (especially from Africa). Can't wait :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)