• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (1 Viewer)

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
Well this morning tells us a number of things:

1. The back three played much better defending the centre of attack better than two CB's and two fullbacks. When Chippers and Emmo got forward, we were left vulnerable on the wings, which Recoba completely had us fucked on the break. I thought the back three were exceptional when the wingers pushed up. While Uruguay will be happy with the win, they shoulda had a second goal in the second half.
2. Kewell played well, but doesnt look as strong coming off the right. Whether its down to lack of match fitness or the position, he wasnt as effective coming off the right and cutting back into the centre, where the Uruguay defence are at their best. He may have done better on the left, where Chippers did well in exposing their fullback (cant remember who it was, but he was always looking to get forward).
3. Three goals at home is achievable, but not likely. Lugano will be coming back and will make it harder to score, and not letting Dukes lay off the ball. Dukes looked a bit isolated, when I thought Thompson might have helped him out more. If someone was feeding off Dukes better, goals for Australia were up for grabs, thats why I was excited to see Bresciano coming on for Thompson, but then Dukes was subbed, wasnt he?! Must have been saved for Wednesday night. Uruguay are incredible at grinding out away nil-all results, and while their set pieces are causing so much havoc, there is no need for them to go out on an allout assault to get an away goal. Morale to this point: DONT FUCKING CONCEDE A GOAL!
4. Schwarz didnt really have to do a great deal. Hope it stays like that for the 2nd leg.
5. Alvaro Recoba is their main man. Someone needs to do him in. Our midfield blitzed theirs, except for when Recoba ran behind their strikers and got up front. If he had an off game this morning, the result would have been very different. Oh, and Morales played shit.
6. Ned Zelic looks as if he has performed oral sex on a Vegemite jar.

Thats the end of my analysis for the minute, but I'll still come up with more to rant on about! :D

nedzelic

HSC
Benny_ said:
Chipperfield gives away a free kick on the right side of the area and Recoba's delivery to Rodriguez at the far post results in Uruguay taking the lead. God Chipperfield is an idiot.

Interesting to see if we'll chase an equalizer from here on in. If we open up too much and let in another goal, we'll have a mountain to climb at home.
that's bullshit though - there's no way it was a free kick

nedzelic

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Well this morning tells us a number of things:

1. The back three played much better defending the centre of attack better than two CB's and two fullbacks. When Chippers and Emmo got forward, we were left vulnerable on the wings, which Recoba completely had us fucked on the break. I thought the back three were exceptional when the wingers pushed up. While Uruguay will be happy with the win, they shoulda had a second goal in the second half.
2. Kewell played well, but doesnt look as strong coming off the right. Whether its down to lack of match fitness or the position, he wasnt as effective coming off the right and cutting back into the centre, where the Uruguay defence are at their best. He may have done better on the left, where Chippers did well in exposing their fullback (cant remember who it was, but he was always looking to get forward).
3. Three goals at home is achievable, but not likely. Lugano will be coming back and will make it harder to score, and not letting Dukes lay off the ball. Dukes looked a bit isolated, when I thought Thompson might have helped him out more. If someone was feeding off Dukes better, goals for Australia were up for grabs, thats why I was excited to see Bresciano coming on for Thompson, but then Dukes was subbed, wasnt he?! Must have been saved for Wednesday night. Uruguay are incredible at grinding out away nil-all results, and while their set pieces are causing so much havoc, there is no need for them to go out on an allout assault to get an away goal. Morale to this point: DONT FUCKING CONCEDE A GOAL!
4. Schwarz didnt really have to do a great deal. Hope it stays like that for the 2nd leg.
5. Alvaro Recoba is their main man. Someone needs to do him in. Our midfield blitzed theirs, except for when Recoba ran behind their strikers and got up front. If he had an off game this morning, the result would have been very different. Oh, and Morales played shit.
6. Ned Zelic looks as if he has performed oral sex on a Vegemite jar.

Thats the end of my analysis for the minute, but I'll still come up with more to rant on about! :D

hey, don't knock Ned!

Well, i am very proud, if not a little dissapointed. you should neevr be happy when you lose but that result keeps the game still perfectly even. i feel as nervous as i did before the game started. it could still go either way - no one has the advantage. if they get an away goal they look very good - but on the other we could do to them what they did to us four years ago
Many possibilities
I was very surprised that Thommo and Harry started. i thought they would have been either subs, or harry to start in sydney. gos guus said that the yellow card situation would be taken into account so it think we will see tiny Tim start the game in sydney, as well as bresciano. so i think tohmmo will be on the bench, and maybe one other - though really again it's anyones' guess

we will play differently to how we played this morning as i think our defence will sqeeeze more and play a higher line, as if you noticd this morning, at time the game was stretched about 80 metres as both defences were so deep - coupled with the fact that they don't actually have a midfield; one of the strangest formations i have ever seen adn i was dissapointed we couldn't exploit it. it was typical that they were gonna score from a tiro franco - which was bullshit mind you - and we didn;'t take our chances. i thought, if you had sound, you might have thought that we were the home side for alot of that game - especially the first half an hour where they played alot of counter attack. it was interesting, b/c both defences were so stretced, there was that 50 yard gap which recoba or zalayeta would drop into and wait for runners. in general we coped with it quite well, but they're the sort of situations where i would be inclined to take a foul or yellow to break the play donw (if you weren't in danger of being supended)

Anyway, overall, all in the balance. we have to go to sydney on wednesday and make it as hostile for the urusas and have to be as positive as possible for our players. lots of singing, cheering and encouragement when they are playing well, and when we are in a bit of a slump

Wear gold!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Anyone have an idea of the proportion of australian/uruguayan fans that'll be at the home game? From the looks of the news about the ticket sales, it seems there will be a fair few supporting uruguay.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Jimmy_B said:
you want your own country to lose? at anything?
Yes. I also want them to lose at Rugby because I really hate Australian Rugby. And even though I am usually a fan of Australia in Rugby League I am going for NZ this year since I am so annoyed about the job the Australian selectors did.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
The only reason why i am supporting Australia in the league is cos Prince is playing. In the 1st game, the shittest team was selected. It was no wonder that they lost

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
sando said:
The only reason why i am supporting Australia in the league is cos Prince is playing. In the 1st game, the shittest team was selected. It was no wonder that they lost
You are an idiot

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Benny_ said:
Chipperfield gives away a free kick on the right side of the area and Recoba's delivery to Rodriguez at the far post results in Uruguay taking the lead. God Chipperfield is an idiot.
You've got to be joking.

Chipperfield did sweet f*ck all. He stood his ground, and the Uruguayan ran into him. It should have been a free kick to Australia, which is what Hiddink said after the game.

I'm worried about our chances of scoring twice with a 6-man Uru defence (especially with Lugano back). Also about stopping a counter-attack goal or another set piece goal from Recoba.

To put it simply, I don't think I'll sleep much in the next few days ..

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
They Uruguayan guy ran away from the ball to smash into Chippers ffs.....

nedzelic

HSC
exactly, it was bullocks. but overall the refs weren't too bad - they didn't really play to the crwod but they were maybe a little perdantic. it was just unforunate that a dodgy decision led to their goal

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
dodgy decisions both ways. i didnt think that was a free kick when they scored, twas a nice set piece tho. at the other end of the park schwarzers coming out to recoba had me instantly think 'penalty', recoba even did a great job with at least 3 rolls and a pike after going down, hes learning well from silva. amd the handball by bresciano, hard to see at first instance but there have been dodgier calls.
first 30mins was great, 2nd half was death. 1-0 is good compared to what it couldve been, question is if we can show more shots and finishing come the home leg against a team that will be out to show the power of defence

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Im confident we can score the goals, with no bans for the guys sitting on yellow cards. With Bresciano and Cahill in the starting lineup we'll cause some headaches especially from the set pieces. But who to take out...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Forlan is out apparently for the second leg :)
But then again, the suspended players are coming back .

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I reckon Kewell and Thomo out for Bresciano and Cahill, which would make for a really combative midfield. Bresciano with a long range effort and a Cahill run from somewhere should do the trick. Plus, Cahill should be fresh.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Somehow I really doubt they'd put kewell out. I'd be willing to place $ on it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Oh and the odds for head-to-head are in too!

1. AUSTRALIA
2. URUGUAY
Australia: 2.40
Draw: 3.00
Urugay: 2.80

Hmmm....this will likely keep lots of punters happy. I took a gamble of $5 on Aus qualification, think I'll put $5 down on Australia winning. i'm not sure if they can do it, but I'm patriotic.
This $10 can come from my awesome weekend winnings :)

Spyrax

HSC
N/A
Schwarzer
Neill Vidmar Popovic Chipperfield/Lazaridis
Emerton Breciano Cahill Kewell/Chipperfield
Viduka Aloisi/Kewell
That's the formation i think Hiddink will adopt.
4-4-2

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Schwarzer
Neill
Vidmar
Popovic
Lazaridis
Emerton
Breciano
Cahill
Kewell
Viduka
Aloisi

is my predicted squad

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
the freekick that got the goal was so milked its not funny, and the recoba dive in the 2nd half lol... but in the end 1-0 is about right for the match - we were pretty lucky in the second half. It wont be easy at sydney when Lugano comes back and uruguay put 9 men behind the ball. uruguay will play counter, and for that reason, i dont think vidmar would be the best pick at the back. hes got experience which is why he was picked on the away leg, but i do not want to see alvaro running past his old legs in sydney

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)