Australia's qualification to the World Cup (Analysis) (1 Viewer)

slip

HSC
emerton is so so shit these days. he had a pretty decent first half and a pretty shit second in my opinion. his corners were shit. and in the second half particularly he was slow to play the ball to open men in attacking areas, held on to the ball to long before passing, or lossing possesion.

kewell was gone on his legs by the end of the first half. kewell should have come off instead of archie thompson.

i dont like vidmar and pop as much as thwaite, but they did the job. everyone in my opinion played fairly well.

the linesman was not putting his flag up for an aussie freekick when uruguay scored. flag went up for the foul, arm went right of screen (thge uruguayan attacking direction) and thus signifying a free kick to uruguay... the flag falling off the stick did not alter the linesman.

i dont know why you guys are all happy with the refereeing, there were some shocking tackles by the uruguay team that deserved harsher plenalties, and the number of times the uruguay players dived, every fucking play shoul dhave had a yellow card for simulation....

i think australia can do it, my starting line up

kalac, popo, niell, thwaite, chipper, bresiano, grella, culina, viduka, cahill, thompson

in conclusion uruguay are dirty cheats. they dive. they make bad tackles. they make kick off times so that the socceroos get home later then they do and when it backfires the complain to fifa, where because they are sth american fifa changes the rules for them. and then who can forget that they payed thugs to spit, kick, punch and abuse players whilst the police ignore this behaviour 4 years ago. and they delayed the team in customs 4 years ago.

swisstruffles

HSC
thats wat happens when u've got a country that has nothing else but soccer, not being rude but in the sense of theyr success in the world...well u know what im trying to say..either they qualify or their ppl will be almighty pissed...

id be nervous putting on thwaite given hes never played a game so big as this..altho i do agree slight changes will be made.
this guy on the radio last night said he didnt know why Dukes is a starter; he has only scored 6-7 goals over 30 matches for australia...said it was a shit record and if it was happening on a club level he would not be in the team...hmm..kinda interesting..although the situation of club level and in the national team are different matters..

personally im scared of aussie's chances of scoring a few goals let aone one, given uruguay's main aim will be to defend defend DEFEND! they can be crazy when they want to be, seeing how they were in the 2nd half when they were chasing the second goal..we barely survived the onslaught, altho i was impressed that we did.

its was funny how uruguay's coach said the refs were especially harsh on their side, 'given that they were the home team'..it shouldnt matter if ur at home or not, their decisions shouldn't hinge on that if they were really fair and objective!! how can u imply that the refs should be favourable to the home side..the refs did reasonably well not to cave into the mad crowd and the pressure..

Last edited:
T

timbk2

i reckon it'd be cool if waltzing matilda was a warcry for the socceroos.. esp. on wednesday with 85000 people. aussie soccer fans are nowhere near as loud as the south americans.. need some proper chants/songs as opposed to 'aussie aussie aussie'

anyway.. go the roos! the stage is now set. relpce kewell with bresciano, and vidmar with soemone a bit quicker.. thwaite or someone. vidmar vs recoba is the worst matchup ever.
for 2nd leg i would play..

Viduka Aloisi

Chipper Bresciano Culina Emerton

Grella

Popo Niel Thwaite

shwarzzer

Generator

HSC
N/A
Bah, there's no need for the crowd to break out into what is essentially a union chant. Football is the game of the masses, not the north shore.

That said, I don't have any ideas of my own.

Last edited:

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
slip said:
emerton is so so shit these days. he had a pretty decent first half and a pretty shit second in my opinion. his corners were shit. and in the second half particularly he was slow to play the ball to open men in attacking areas, held on to the ball to long before passing, or lossing possesion.
Emmo was one of the best on the park, the real attacking force for Australia in the first half. He was making the plays and in the second half he did plenty of defending. In saying that tho, all the corners went to the keeper, there was only one that put real pressure on the defence of uruguay.

slip said:
the linesman was not putting his flag up for an aussie freekick when uruguay scored. flag went up for the foul, arm went right of screen (thge uruguayan attacking direction) and thus signifying a free kick to uruguay... the flag falling off the stick did not alter the linesman.
I agree with this one, but who really knows except for him?

slip said:
in conclusion uruguay are dirty cheats. they dive. they make bad tackles. they make kick off times so that the socceroos get home later then they do and when it backfires the complain to fifa, where because they are sth american fifa changes the rules for them. and then who can forget that they payed thugs to spit, kick, punch and abuse players whilst the police ignore this behaviour 4 years ago. and they delayed the team in customs 4 years ago.
Im sick of hearing shit about them being cheats. Those paid thugs were not hired by the Uruguay federation, but some business over there. Most Uruguayans were courteous towards Australians in general, but general intimidation is not cheating. Who really gives a shit about kick off times, at the end of the day it not going to affect the outcome of the match a great deal. Remember Fifa werent pricks in this decision, they did give us the major advantage of the second home leg. The referee change was down to circumstances in Turkey, nothing to do with Uruguay. And please dont mention the way Uruguay play as "cheating". Foul tackles are just a part of the sport, and none of the players "simulated" any more than any other professional game. I actually thought that considering the circumstances, it was a reasonably clean game, really free flowing.

swisstruffles said:
this guy on the radio last night said he didnt know why Dukes is a starter; he has only scored 6-7 goals over 30 matches for australia...said it was a shit record and if it was happening on a club level he would not be in the team...hmm..kinda interesting..although the situation of club level and in the national team are different matters..
Whoever said that is a dickhead. Dukes has been the best player for Australia since Hiddink took over, and has excelled in the captaincy role. He's the first one to pick. If he has had problems scoring in the past for Australia, its down to the system Franky played him under.

timbk2 said:
i reckon it'd be cool if waltzing matilda was a warcry for the socceroos.. esp. on wednesday with 85000 people. aussie soccer fans are nowhere near as loud as the south americans.. need some proper chants/songs as opposed to 'aussie aussie aussie'
Do away with that Aussie Aussie Aussie chant, i am really sick of it. It really reached its peak at the 2000 olympics. And I cant see Waltzing Matilda being sung, but lets come up with a football anthem, eh?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Head-to-head results have changed since yesterday :D

Yesterday:
1. AUSTRALIA
2. URUGUAY
Australia: 2.40
Draw: 3.00
Urugay: 2.80

Today:
1. AUSTRALIA
2. URUGUAY
Australia: 2.20
Draw: 3.15
Uruguay: 3.20

Shit yeah :) Glad I put the bet in yestergay!

And also last night I bet with at a rate of 1:3.60 (from memory) on Australia making it into the world cup.

Today:
1. AUSTRALIA 2.75
2. URUGUAY 1.40

Looks like things are going australia' way. I'm interested in what has happened to make the odds so much better in Australia's favour.

I'm getting so fucking psyched for Wednesday. Can't fucking wait :D
I'll def have to go some place public. Fuck, I have to find mates who have finished exams already. Will be tough.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
BlowJob_bhoy_87, what was our advantage in the second leg?

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
stazi said:
BlowJob_bhoy_87, what was our advantage in the second leg?
Prick.

HAVING the second leg was the advantage that FFA worked hard to get. Fifa could have, and would have been pricks and gave it to Uruguay, and I think Fifa have been surprisingly impartial.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
Australia has basically no chance now. If only they scored ONE goal in Uruguay, or at least kept it 0-0.
ummm..ok?
why don't they have any chance? because if they score 1 goal they can go through in extra-time or penalties? they must keep a clean sheet, but I think that's possible. They just have to go defend against the urugayans counter-attack.

also some interesting stats for the qualifications:

Urugays results away from home:
Wins: 0
Draws: 6
Losses: 3

Goals scored for: 8
Goals scored against: 18

Also in 2005 away friendlies:
Losses: 2
WIns Draws: 0
For: 1
Against: 5

Hell, in 2004 they even lost to Jamaica away 2-0 (although recoba was out)

They don't travel well at all to neighbouring countries, let alone across the ocean.
Let's not forget that Australia was worse coached and worse-manned when we beat them 1-0 four years ago.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
Prick.

HAVING the second leg was the advantage that FFA worked hard to get. Fifa could have, and would have been pricks and gave it to Uruguay, and I think Fifa have been surprisingly impartial.
well, Urugay had it four years ago, so it made sense for Australia to have it this time. It should go on a rotating interchangable basis between the two competitions.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
The only thing I'm afraid of is this:
Australia plays well for about 60 minutes. Contain uruguay's counter attack. The score is 0-0 but they are getting good chances. Then they panic that they need to score. All of a sudden they start attacking more, the midfielders come up more. They may change formation. Then the uruguayan counterattack becomes most dangerous and scores relatively easily.
Result: we're fucked.

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
stazi said:
well, Urugay had it four years ago, so it made sense for Australia to have it this time. It should go on a rotating interchangable basis between the two competitions.
They should make it one match at a neutral venue from now on, and save NZ the misery of losing both legs 10-0. Providing they beat Solomon Islands.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
They should make it one match at a neutral venue from now on, and save NZ the misery of losing both legs 10-0. Providing they beat Solomon Islands.
And lose the thousands of dollars that can be made from a home-ground event.

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
stazi said:
you mean apart from the fact that it's completely sold out?
Should have bought the tickets when you were able to then.......

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
^They actually asked the FFA if they could board the same flight. Needless to say, O'Neill rejected the request.

stazi said:
The only thing I'm afraid of is this:
Australia plays well for about 60 minutes. Contain uruguay's counter attack. The score is 0-0 but they are getting good chances. Then they panic that they need to score. All of a sudden they start attacking more, the midfielders come up more. They may change formation. Then the uruguayan counterattack becomes most dangerous and scores relatively easily.
Result: we're fucked.
It will be a nervous few last minutes, methinks. Either a fairytale or a nightmare.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
RyddeckerSMP said:
Should have bought the tickets when you were able to then.......
yes I should've...and....? why bother saying 'why don't you watch it from the stadium?' if you know that we don't have them and they're sold out?

bJ_Bhoy 87

HSC
stazi said:
And lose the thousands of dollars that can be made from a home-ground event.
I was joking, I couldnt really foresee this happening. I would like to see Oceania disbanded and merged with Asia. People will say that these nations will not be given the chance to grow as football nations but its not as if the Faroe Islands are given much hope in UEFA. At least that way the Oceanian teams are given the chance of direct qualification. Otherwise Fifa should grant Oceania a direct spot, even though we have left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)