aviation (pilot) (1 Viewer)

HSC
ST2010 said:
hey thankss but how and when do you apply for quantas ? how much ppl do they take?! :O
FIRST OF ALL..

thers no such airline as QUANTAS

but there is an airline called QANTAS..

(i love correcting that :p )

if u go do ur degree..qantas taje about
10-12 per month..which has been
reduced to 6-8 because of the lack of
training captains and high fuel prices..

you can apply to qantas when you have 500 PIC
but that probably wont be competitive..
pilots i know apply when they have about
2-3000 TT..

ST2010

HSC
JamesTockuss said:
Hi

I'm not sure about the university program because I'm not going to do it that way, but as for subjects...

You don't need to do extension maths as everyone says. 2U is fine, especially if you intend on applying at Qantas. For Qantas as well they recommend Physics and maybe another science, as well as Advanced English. The rest is up to you.

And yeh, cadets will definitely help you when you apply - don't listen to what that other guy said. It shows enthusiasm and that's basically what they're looking for. As for UAI wise, I'd be aiming for 85+

Hope that helps man
hey so how are you going to do it if your not intending uni??

ST2010

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
FIRST OF ALL..

thers no such airline as QUANTAS

but there is an airline called QANTAS..

(i love correcting that :p )

if u go do ur degree..qantas taje about
10-12 per month..which has been
reduced to 6-8 because of the lack of
training captains and high fuel prices..

you can apply to qantas when you have 500 PIC
but that probably wont be competitive..
pilots i know apply when they have about
2-3000 TT..
haha wats a PIC and TT?? sorry me noob :O

wow so if u go bush and get experience u can do commercial piloting?! shit :p

HSC
ST2010 said:
haha wats a PIC and TT?? sorry me noob :O

wow so if u go bush and get experience u can do commercial piloting?! shit :p
hmm..PIC is pilot in command..
TT is total time..
for PIC..VFR Single engine hours are useless..
you need ME..
i got to review pilot applicants when i went to qantas for wrk experience..

lol..VFR is visual flight rules and ME is multi engine..you'll learn this at tafe..

ST2010

HSC
err is it true you can do this if u wear glasses or not pefect eyesight?!

Nick42673

HSC
Each airlines has specific requirements.

On a global study, high level maths, physics and english are needed, with a college degree seen as crucial for some carriers.

For Qantas, english and mathematics are the requirements, but do not see this as an excuse to not do physics. Although physics is not required, if you want to be in the cadetship is does help to an extent and recruiting informed me that physics is still important - even if it is not publicised as being so.

UAI is important, too, as it shows a general level of intellect and airlines will look at this for recruiting, even if a million people will argue the point that UAI means nothing - even if it is just a big game, you still have to play the game to win.

My advice is to do the highest maths you can in yr11, and if you feel confident in continuing for yr12 do so, if not drop to mathematics and then progress from there. Airlines want to see passes in all subjects as a general idea that you can pass multiple subjects, as already mentioned with physics.

If you have the option i strongly recommend the TVET course in Aviation if you can find the means to attend one. even one year (preferable yr11) is a huge positive in the minds of recruiting, and a subject that involves a major work helps too as my interviewers were very interested in my major works.

I do Army Cadets - this was invaluable for my interview. Team-building is a crucial element in the SAR questions they ask.

Good luck.

HSC
Nick42673 said:
Each airlines has specific requirements.

On a global study, high level maths, physics and english are needed, with a college degree seen as crucial for some carriers.

For Qantas, english and mathematics are the requirements, but do not see this as an excuse to not do physics. Although physics is not required, if you want to be in the cadetship is does help to an extent and recruiting informed me that physics is still important - even if it is not publicised as being so.

UAI is important, too, as it shows a general level of intellect and airlines will look at this for recruiting, even if a million people will argue the point that UAI means nothing - even if it is just a big game, you still have to play the game to win.

My advice is to do the highest maths you can in yr11, and if you feel confident in continuing for yr12 do so, if not drop to mathematics and then progress from there. Airlines want to see passes in all subjects as a general idea that you can pass multiple subjects, as already mentioned with physics.

If you have the option i strongly recommend the TVET course in Aviation if you can find the means to attend one. even one year (preferable yr11) is a huge positive in the minds of recruiting, and a subject that involves a major work helps too as my interviewers were very interested in my major works.

I do Army Cadets - this was invaluable for my interview. Team-building is a crucial element in the SAR questions they ask.

Good luck.
did you get in to the cadet program ?

err is it true you can do this if u wear glasses or not pefect eyesight?!.
yes..that is true..u can wear glasses..but if uwanted to go down the airforce path..i think you need perfect..you can always have laser surgery..

Nick42673

HSC
You can wear glasses to be a pilot, as long as corrected vision meets minimum safety standards.

Even so, you could have 'perfect vision' in terms of resolution, but colour blindness is important in eye tests.

If you are thinking of being a pilot, instead of going out to the airport and paying for lessons just yet, go to your doctor and have a general medical just to check that you will be fit to legally fly commercially - if not you just watsed $70 000 in training.

HSC
Nick42673 said:
You can wear glasses to be a pilot, as long as corrected vision meets minimum safety standards.

Even so, you could have 'perfect vision' in terms of resolution, but colour blindness is important in eye tests.

If you are thinking of being a pilot, instead of going out to the airport and paying for lessons just yet, go to your doctor and have a general medical just to check that you will be fit to legally fly commercially - if not you just watsed $70 000 in training.
so did u get accepted into the cadet program ?

dolbinau

HSC
PIC = Pilot in command 2-3000 = Total Time.

The most important thing about applying to the Airlines is having flying experience, It will be the key entry criteria - you also will not just 'chose' to work for Qantas but will take any job you can get when you start.

You may also be interested to know that if you apply for QantasLink you won't maintain seniority if you switch over to the mainline airline (which can't be done internally, AFAIK. Head over to PPRUNE - it has much more info.

Trust me, subjects are the last of your worries. Just pass the HSC. And a degree is not necessary at all (but can't hurt - although spending 4 years building hours would be better spent both time and money worse).

I really wanted to pursue this career, however considering the expense of a CPL (150+ Hours) at over $250/hour and then having to build another 1,000 hours out of no where, then considering the low awards especially for entry/regional pilots and an unstable industry to say the least, It isn't a very attractive option. Maybe in the future though, good luck!

You should go down to your local Airport and have a flying lesson or two to see if you actually like flying too.

Nick42673

HSC
I cannot say as of yet as places aren't announced until Jan 2, but I have passed stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 and have one final medical to go. After that I will be advised of a pending invitation.

No 100% sign as of yet, although signs are positive thus far.

Cadet selection has changed, btw - consult the QF site for more info.

HSC
Nick42673 said:
I cannot say as of yet as places aren't announced until Jan 2, but I have passed stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 and have one final medical to go. After that I will be advised of a pending invitation.

No 100% sign as of yet, although signs are positive thus far.

Cadet selection has changed, btw - consult the QF site for more info.
scared of getting a letter of dis-intent ??
coz of rising fuel prices?
and pilots are not having the secruity of the key operational role???

lol..that would be a shame.

so close, yet sofar

and my numbers on pilot entry was for direct entry..not for cadets..

good luck !

Last edited:

Nick42673

HSC
Not really. The idea of 'so close, yet so far' assumes that Qantas is the be-all and end-all in australian flying.

If you're scared of getting a letter of dis-intent, you shouldn't have applied in the first place --- one of the opening questions they ask is what you will do if you do not get in.

That said, two of my friends have done the exams in the past week and have already been notified that they are no longer competitive. Having done the selection proceses over a month ago I feel confident, but am still preparing for a year outside of Qantas next year in case it doesn't eventuate.

Don't look at the cadetship as the one path to flying. You are no less of a pilot for not being accepted.

FYI, pilots and flight attendants at QF are in technical roles and will not be subjected to any job-cuts in the coming years due to fuel prices. QF needs 200 new pilots in the next 2 years and even more flight attendants.

HSC
Nick42673 said:
Not really. The idea of 'so close, yet so far' assumes that Qantas is the be-all and end-all in australian flying.

If you're scared of getting a letter of dis-intent, you shouldn't have applied in the first place --- one of the opening questions they ask is what you will do if you do not get in.

That said, two of my friends have done the exams in the past week and have already been notified that they are no longer competitive. Having done the selection proceses over a month ago I feel confident, but am still preparing for a year outside of Qantas next year in case it doesn't eventuate.

Don't look at the cadetship as the one path to flying. You are no less of a pilot for not being accepted.

FYI, pilots and flight attendants at QF are in technical roles and will not be subjected to any job-cuts in the coming years due to fuel prices. QF needs 200 new pilots in the next 2 years and even more flight attendants.
last paragraph is incorrect..if you read news reports, pilots will not be 'protected' by that in the upcoming 1500 staff cut..FA however are protected because they have that written in on their EBA's..

happy flying :)

ztn

HSC
heyy guyss
im in yr 12 at the moment
and im doing english mathematics 2U.........
and i was hoping i would do physics as a bridging course before i enter university
im hoping i can get into aviation (managment) at unsw but what i was wondering is that;
IS FLYING(BEING A PILOT) INCLUDED IN THE AVIATION MANAGEMENT COURSE AT UNI
or is that a complete different course??
and do u need a uai of around 76???

Last edited:
HSC
ztn said:
heyy guyss
and i was hoping i would do physics as a bridging course before i enter university
im hoping i can get into aviation (managment) at unsw but what i was wondering is that;
they require 75 at unsw..

and the mangement stream is different to the flying stream..

aviation (management)
aviation (flying)

two different degrees

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
uai is about 80..

your also looking at about 55k for the flying training which can not paid through hecs-help..
only the theory can which i think is 20k per year ?
uai isn't too bad but yikes, those fees are high. Is the 55k a year paid for the degree at unsw or what? and after getting that degree i'm guessing you won't be well paid as a freshie out of uni right? i mean it's going to take a couple more years to get the right certs, build flying hours etc before applying for anything like qantas?
because i was thinking about puting bach of aviation (flying) as pref 5-6 on my uac application but i won't be doing that if it's going to cost me 55k a year..

Last edited:

abbz0id

HSC
ztn said:
heyy guyss
Omg! I put Aviation management (UNSW) as one of my UAC options! I wanted to do aviation (flying) but it's far too expensive. So I guess Aviation management will have to do..

HSC
Rageeb said:
uai isn't too bad but yikes, those fees are high. Is the 55k a hear paid for the degree at unsw or what? because i was thinking about puting bach of aviation (flying) as pref 5-6 on my uac application but i won't be doing that if it's going to cost me 55k a year..
55k the flying training which is over your degree period..not each year..
the 55k will get you what most unsw students get..the cpl with mecir, atpl and your 8instructor rating..

the other 20k is the degree side..i have no idea on the accurate amount but i heard 20k per year..which can bet off-set..but the 55k (one off) can not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)