aviation (pilot) (1 Viewer)

HSC
domoman said:
Agreed 70k is really low for a Captain that they want to keep..

I heard of a QF pilot how just converted to the A330 from B767 sat a home for a month or 2 and couldnt fly very often cause of the shortage training/sim captains and its happening in almost every airline now.

Yer sorry not meaning to get at you I think we are looking at it from different perspectives your looking more economically right now for airlines where I see it overall as there isn't the supply of pilots that there use to be eg the Ansett collapse left no jobs for newbies at the time and the increased training costs and decreased pay is driving people away from becoming a pilot.

yeah dont wrry..im really liking this thread..might be the biggest aviation related thread in bos :)

anyway..im going away skiing for a few days..so i wont be able to postany more..hopefully this thread is still alive..perhaps discuss other issues such as
what u want to be inside a major airline ??

ill start :)

left seat a380 with a seniority of 1 (which is possible coz my birthday is
december 21..and if i manage to get into qantas mainline after CIPP when at about 21..i should be 1 ?? hahahahahahaha that would be so cool..

and the other ones i wouldnt mind would be chief pilot :)
or senior check and training pilot so id be able to stay close to my family..

domoman

HSC
I wouldn't mind starting out being and instructor, I get to stay in Sydney and your flying skills can go through the roof as to be able to teach everything you have to know it well.

To me the 747 the Queen of the Skies is the plane to fly!! I would love to fly it with QF. For some reason I don't like the A380 (maybe its because i'm a Boeing boy) and is it just me or it just doesn't look its size in photos?. By the time I get to the airlines sadly the QF 747s will prob be gone. So many I think VB would be a great gig, 737 is a beaut of a plane and the VB atmosphere is much better then QF.

HSC
domoman said:
I wouldn't mind starting out being and instructor, I get to stay in Sydney and your flying skills can go through the roof as to be able to teach everything you have to know it well.

To me the 747 the Queen of the Skies is the plane to fly!! I would love to fly it with QF. For some reason I don't like the A380 (maybe its because i'm a Boeing boy) and is it just me or it just doesn't look its size in photos?. By the time I get to the airlines sadly the QF 747s will prob be gone. So many I think VB would be a great gig, 737 is a beaut of a plane and the VB atmosphere is much better then QF.
ohh..i got to go in the 744 cockpit at sydney airport for work exp. and it didnt look to comfortable hahaha..
i hear that airbus is really user friendly and all that..
but i agree the 744 was my dream aircraft if u wanna call it that..

domoman

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
ohh..i got to go in the 744 cockpit at sydney airport for work exp. and it didnt look to comfortable hahaha..
i hear that airbus is really user friendly and all that..
but i agree the 744 was my dream aircraft if u wanna call it that..
Airbus is user friendly in some ways but then you never fly the thing still it is kinda the same with boeings just not as much. Personally would prefer a yoke over a joystick that doesn't have the forces on it another of my airbus hates lol.

Btw back to original topic quickly Dr. Zoidberg why not do something like engineering, computing or financial? Probably best to do a 3 or 4 year course that gets you a full degree. If I go to uni I want to do aeronautical enginnering, mainly because that interests me more then any other course and is only 4 years.

Cheers

HSC
domoman said:
Airbus is user friendly in some ways but then you never fly the thing still it is kinda the same with boeings just not as much. Personally would prefer a yoke over a joystick that doesn't have the forces on it another of my airbus hates lol.

Btw back to original topic quickly Dr. Zoidberg why not do something like engineering, computing or financial? Probably best to do a 3 or 4 year course that gets you a full degree. If I go to uni I want to do aeronautical enginnering, mainly because that interests me more then any other course and is only 4 years.

Cheers
of course..that isnt i ncluding the very high uai you need :D

domoman

HSC
Yer it is high at 88. Most engineering courses are 80 though. I don't want to do the space one which is about 96+ that I cant get but I could get 90 UAI if I work hard enough.

dolbinau

HSC
domoman said:

Cheers
There wouldn't be much more automation on a typical A380 cockpit compared with a 777. Both can be flown without physical pilot input after takeoff to after landing.

domoman

HSC
True airbus I think have a lateral autopilot setting for takeoff and boeing just has the autothrottle. Both can land without a pilot, more getting on the side of no force feed back and the large amount of fly by wire airbus has. In the end my cockpit preference is really because one has a yoke the other doesn't...

dolbinau

HSC
I guess feedback wise that would be a concern to some. Joystick wise, I don't know, you only fly with one hand on the Yoke anyway so I can't imagine it makes "that" much of a difference. Since it is a commercial airliner imagine how much more comfortable you'd be day in and day out with no Yoke. I'd take the compromise or having no yoke :p. But:

True airbus I think have a lateral autopilot setting for takeoff and boeing just has the autothrottle.
For both systems: Boeing presses TOGA Switch, Airbus moves throttles to TOGA gate - everything else is maintained by pedals/Sidestick/Yoke

HSC
Considering aviation (flying) as a career but after reading this thread i think im really behind with the info. Some of you are still in high school but you know so much about the industry! This really helps even more than the careers advisor's info. Other than joining the commercial airlines what other choices are there as a pilot? Thanks

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
Considering aviation (flying) as a career but after reading this thread i think im really behind with the info. Some of you are still in high school but you know so much about the industry! This really helps even more than the careers advisor's info. Other than joining the commercial airlines what other choices are there as a pilot? Thanks
instructor, chief pilot, general aviation, government work like coast guard (pay for that is around $100 000)

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
instructor, chief pilot, general aviation, government work like coast guard (pay for that is around $100 000)
Thanks for that! i was wondering when applying at UNSW for aviation course you have to pay $30 000 per annum for three years what other options are there? If joining the airforce how long do you have to serve for:rolleyes: ? Thanks

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
Thanks for that! i was wondering when applying at UNSW for aviation course you have to pay $30 000 per annum for three years what other options are there? If joining the airforce how long do you have to serve for:rolleyes: ? Thanks
If you mean other options of paying it, you can offset $80000 of the flight training fees with FEE-HELP. I think lol

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
14 years through ADFA

11 i think if u go through direct

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
14 years through ADFA

11 i think if u go through direct

:O 14 YEARS!!! I don't think ill be able to take 14 years in the defence force...thanks anyway looks like ill need to be saving alot :S

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
:O 14 YEARS!!! I don't think ill be able to take 14 years in the defence force...thanks anyway looks like ill need to be saving alot :S
but..you get paid to study, accomodation, food, medical, pretty much everything..and after the 14 years..you'll probably accumulate about 45hrs x 11 x 12..which is 5940 hours of flight time..which goes into your TT (perhaps ME?? not sure)

airlines loveeeeeeeeeeee air force guys because of their discipline etc..

but..that means you join the airlines (lets just say Qantas mainline) at about 32-33 (if we assume you pass the air-force recruitment test and everything..and the training which i hear has a high fail rate)..
so yeah..you join at about 32-33 which gives u a good 30years of flying left but you get put at the bottom of the seniority list..and in the airlines..seniority rules your life..

so if i joined qantas mainline at 18, by the time i was 32, i probably wouldnt have as much experience and hours, but i would be ahead on seniority and finish up in the top 10 + i would only have to wait another 5 years till command..

domoman

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
Is coast guard really $100 000? Explains why the pilots don't run from there. That would be a really sweet job with that salary.

honeynlicorice

There is definitely alot of saving to do, I can tell you Im going to be poor for a long time. If by any change you think you will like it the Airforce is the best way, the airlines definitely love the discipline and also more importantly the thousands of multi-engine/multi-crew hours that you have.

HSC
domoman said:
Is coast guard really $100 000? Explains why the pilots don't run from there. That would be a really sweet job with that salary.

honeynlicorice
There is definitely alot of saving to do, I can tell you Im going to be poor for a long time. If by any change you think you will like it the Airforce is the best way, the airlines definitely love the discipline and also more importantly the thousands of multi-engine/multi-crew hours that you have.
ur based in queensalnd though..somewhere around sthere

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
but..you get paid to study, accomodation, food, medical, pretty much everything..and after the 14 years..you'll probably accumulate about 45hrs x 11 x 12..which is 5940 hours of flight time..which goes into your TT (perhaps ME?? not sure)

airlines loveeeeeeeeeeee air force guys because of their discipline etc..

but..that means you join the airlines (lets just say Qantas mainline) at about 32-33 (if we assume you pass the air-force recruitment test and everything..and the training which i hear has a high fail rate)..
so yeah..you join at about 32-33 which gives u a good 30years of flying left but you get put at the bottom of the seniority list..and in the airlines..seniority rules your life..

so if i joined qantas mainline at 18, by the time i was 32, i probably wouldnt have as much experience and hours, but i would be ahead on seniority and finish up in the top 10 + i would only have to wait another 5 years till command..

ahaha thanks you really know your aviation info. I think ill just do it through UNSW because i can't stand the thought of defence force for 14years its like hell for me. But the fees at UNSW are massive o well i guess working alot and alot and alot can handle a bit of it the rest ill rely on parents :S doesnt sound too nice T.T but i have no idea what other course other than aviation because ive liked the whole pilot thing for a long time but never got up to researching until this year. damn! im really behind. If going for commericial pilot i think i really want to fly with JAL XD

HSC
honeynlicorice said:
ahaha thanks you really know your aviation info. I think ill just do it through UNSW because i can't stand the thought of defence force for 14years its like hell for me. But the fees at UNSW are massive o well i guess working alot and alot and alot can handle a bit of it the rest ill rely on parents :S doesnt sound too nice T.T but i have no idea what other course other than aviation because ive liked the whole pilot thing for a long time but never got up to researching until this year. damn! im really behind. If going for commericial pilot i think i really want to fly with JAL XD
you japanese ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)