aviation (pilot) (1 Viewer)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
55k the flying training which is over your degree period..not each year..
the 55k will get you what most unsw students get..the cpl with mecir, atpl and your 8instructor rating..

the other 20k is the degree side..i have no idea on the accurate amount but i heard 20k per year..which can bet off-set..but the 55k (one off) can not.
shiz, you really know your stuff.

so it's the 20k (hecs) + ~15-20k per year (assuming 3yr degree) out of pocket? well, that sounds okay i guess. What happens straight out of uni? you paid get peanuts to build up flying hours and then apply for qantas in 3-4 years or so?

HSC
Rageeb said:
shiz, you really know your stuff.

so it's the 20k (hecs) + ~15-20k per year (assuming 3yr degree) out of pocket? well, that sounds okay i guess. What happens straight out of uni? you paid get peanuts to build up flying hours and then apply for qantas in 3-4 years or so?
nope..seems that i dont
after a quick check
its 102 000 for the three years which can not be paid through hecs..
the hecs-help covers the degree aspect

102k is quite alot for a cpl..but i suppose tha includes the mecir, instructor and turbine etc..

Last edited:

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
Wow, a lot of people wanna become pilots :D

Im gonna do my training at UNSW.

Gonna be really expensive.

$90k for 3 years of training and another $21k for the theory course. (with Hecs)

If by any chance you wanna become an airforce pilot, assummed knowledge is chemistry, physics and 2u maths to get into the course. Though i guess you can also do bridging courses.

HSC
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Wow, a lot of people wanna become pilots :D

Im gonna do my training at UNSW.

Gonna be really expensive.

$90k for 3 years of training and another $21k for the theory course. (with Hecs)

If by any chance you wanna become an airforce pilot, assummed knowledge is chemistry, physics and 2u maths to get into the course. Though i guess you can also do bridging courses.
thank you..
102k for flying is really a rip off..so it seemed a little suss..

although u could do it at yor local flying club for half the $ and x3 the speed

dolbinau

HSC
Rageeb said:
you paid get peanuts to build up flying hours and then apply for qantas in 3-4 years or so?
According to+

http://www.aviation.unsw.edu.au/future/futureugrad.html#Fees

You're looking at 30K for training plus 7K CSP contribution fees. And then, yes, you need to build hours. Good Luck :p.

I personally don't see why you all want to go to a Uni to do this. And, realistically, where are you all going to get the $$$ from?

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
dolbinau said:
According to+

You're looking at 30K for training plus 7K CSP contribution fees. And then, yes, you need to build hours. Good Luck :p.

I personally don't see why you all want to go to a Uni to do this. And, realistically, where are you all going to get the $$$ from?
well i'm not really sure if this is the career path i will end up taking, i have to hand in my uac application soon so i'm just exploring all options.
lol i'll work i guess :p, who knows.

xXmuffin0manXx said:
thank you..
102k for flying is really a rip off..so it seemed a little suss..

so do the theory and get the degree from unsw and get the practical side done from somewhere else?
so if i go to unsw as a bach of aviation (flying) student, i'd just do the theroy there and as i get $$ i'll do the practical components through a flying club or something. would i be able to do that?

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
dolbinau said:
I personally don't see why you all want to go to a Uni to do this.
Yeah, it would be quicker and cheaper to get my license at local flying clubs etc

but i wanna experience UNI life. Yeah, i know, sounds a bit stupid, but whenever say when I have children, and they ask me how UNI is like etc etc, i would be able to answer their questions and other stuff. I've always been loved listening to my dad when i ask him about UNI and it really is interesting to hear about the fun he experienced during UNI. This would also probably be the only time i can still be bothered studying so there is very little chance of going back to school/uni when im 30 etc.

Plus, my parents want me to go to UNI. They have bought me many of the things i wanted (e.g. video games) and i feel that this is the way i should repay them as they have said they don't want anything (this includes money, jewellery, holidays etc) from me but to go to UNI. And since they don't pressure me and force me into courses i don't wanna do as a lot of asian parents do (i'm asian), it makes me wanna go to UNI even more.

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
Rageeb said:
so do the theory and get the degree from unsw and get the practical side done from somewhere else?
so if i go to unsw as a bach of aviation (flying) student, i'd just do the theroy there and as i get $$ i'll do the practical components through a flying club or something. would i be able to do that?
That would be a good idea if that's allowed. Would save some $$$

alan7948

HSC
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Yeah, it would be quicker and cheaper to get my license at local flying clubs etc

but i wanna experience UNI life. Yeah, i know, sounds a bit stupid, but whenever say when I have children, and they ask me how UNI is like etc etc, i would be able to answer their questions and other stuff. I've always been loved listening to my dad when i ask him about UNI and it really is interesting to hear about the fun he experienced during UNI. This would also probably be the only time i can still be bothered studying so there is very little chance of going back to school/uni when im 30 etc.

Plus, my parents want me to go to UNI. They have bought me many of the things i wanted (e.g. video games) and i feel that this is the way i should repay them as they have said they don't want anything (this includes money, jewellery, holidays etc) from me but to go to UNI. And since they don't pressure me and force me into courses i don't wanna do as a lot of asian parents do (i'm asian), it makes me wanna go to UNI even more.
lol my situation is practically the same as yours: wanting to aviation, parents wanting me to go to uni.

But i have a question, what happens if i do the cathay pacific cadets, will i still go to uni and get paid for it? or do i do the theory and practical at a flying school?

domoman

HSC
Dr. Zoidberg said:

Go to uni and do something else. I think you really need to do your research before deciding to become a pilot, you DO NOT just walk into an airline and get a job it is massively competitive even though this is the best time to enter the industry.

I highly recommend going for a trial introductory flight at a flight school see how you like it? I got the chance to do one as a birthday present and also while overseas I was very very lucky enough to get the jumpseat on a DC9 for 4 X 1 hour sectors (Almost impossible in Oz nowdays). After both times I absolutely loved it so I have just started my flight training now just starting up to GFPT atm and loving every second i am in the air. This is the attitude you got to have - that you just want to fly, cause if you dont have a love for flying your not going anywhere.

Why do I say go to Uni and don't do the aviation coursess? Say your 35 and lose your medical, job or license you have something to back you up so you are financially secure. Also talking to my 17000+ hr chief instructor they said that having a degree shows the airlines you can finish something and but mainly gives an opinion to fall back on if you need to at anytime.

Dolbinau also has so very good points that you should take note of. To be honest doing the course through the uni doesnt really offer that much over a flight school especially when it costs so much more. Your first employeer doesnt care that you have a so called "Aviation Degree" that is a fancy name for a pilots licence you have done through a Uni, its your hours and attitude that they care about. By the time you finally get to the airlines its more about hours you have then how you originally got your licence

Hopefully some of what Ive said is helpful...
Cheers

HSC
dolbinau said:
According to+

that figure is per annum..so take note of that
and you cant just do your degree at unsw..the degree
comes with the cpl..

alan

"But i have a question, what happens if i do the cathay pacific cadets, will i still go to uni and get paid for it? or do i do the theory and practical at a flying school?"

you cant do cathay's cadet course as you do not have a hk id card..( well..you might)

the only cathay cadet course you can do is the instructor course which is done in conjunction
with fta which requires you to pay a small contribution which wll see yor way throgh the cpl and
instructor..but u have to do at least 3 years of instructing before you get sent to live in hk as a
so..which quite frankly is crap..

and u dont get paid for cathay's cadet course..nor any cadet course..

"Go to uni and do something else. I think you really need to do your research before deciding to become a pilot, you DO NOT just walk into an airline and get a job it is massively competitive even though this is the best time to enter the industry. "

and you should also do your research as now is not the best time to enter the industry..
rising fuel prices > 1500 staff cut > letters of dis-intent being sent out ( and pilots are not excluded..only fa's are)

the years before were the best time to enter because of the shortage of experienced pilots to take up
crappy pay with airlines..but the fuel prices have changed that

Last edited:

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
My backup plan was to become a surgeon if i didn't make it to the big airlines. The only thing worrying me is the amount of time it takes to complete the degree. I wouldn't want to drop out on the course half way down the track.

I guess if i do this, i can get my license outside of UNI. This be better the better option than getting an aviation degree at UNI right?

domoman said:
Why do I say go to Uni and don't do the aviation coursess? Say your 35 and lose your medical, job or license you have something to back you up so you are financially secure.
Cheers
Hmm, if this does happen, would i have to repeat the medicine course again? because i bet i would have most likely forgotten everything by then.

alan7948

HSC
ok so say i follow your idea and do another subject as a fallback.

My question is can i do the bachelor of aviation together with a bachelor of accounting or do i have to do them a year after the other

HSC
Dr. Zoidberg said:
My backup plan was to become a surgeon if i didn't make it to the big airlines. The only thing worrying me is the amount of time it takes to complete the degree. I wouldn't want to drop out on the course half way down the track.

I guess if i do this, i can get my license outside of UNI. This be better the better option than getting an aviation degree at UNI right?

Hmm, if this does happen, would i have to repeat the medicine course again? because i bet i would have most likely forgotten everything by then.
i dont think medicine would be a great course to fall back on..like you said..the coursetheres just too much stuff too learn and if u lose your medical which is a disaster (unless ur already in an airlnie which ull actually be compensated for) i dont think many places would be too keen for employing a graduate minus the 10 years..just my opinion

happy flying

domoman

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
"Go to uni and do something else. I think you really need to do your research before deciding to become a pilot, you DO NOT just walk into an airline and get a job it is massively competitive even though this is the best time to enter the industry. "

and you should also do your research as now is not the best time to enter the industry..
rising fuel prices > 1500 staff cut > letters of dis-intent being sent out ( and pilots are not excluded..only fa's are)

the years before were the best time to enter because of the shortage of experienced pilots to take up
crappy pay with airlines..but the fuel prices have changed that
I have done my research Ive had about 3 or 4 instructors say that from different flight schools. Yes, I understand possibly not right now with fuel prices, but the last 5 years before have been much better then past 20 years (EG. 1 billion dollar profits for Qantas and they have actually started hiring again). When I say best time I mean there is expected increased job opportunity worldwide compared to the past and not just Australia (India and China mainly) plus the 35%+ of REX pilots leaving REX each year have to be getting better flying jobs somewhere?

Last edited:
HSC
domoman said:
I have done my research Ive had about 3 or 4 instructors say that from different flight schools. Yes, I understand possibly not right now with fuel prices, but the last 5 years before have been much better then past 20 years (EG. 1 billion dollar profits for Qantas and they have actually started hiring again). When I say best time I mean there is expected increased job opportunity worldwide compared to the past and not just Australia (India and China mainly) plus the 35%+ of REX pilots leaving REX each year have to be getting pilot jobs somewhere?
people leave rex coz rex blows..

captains get paid around 70k ?
first officers 40k ?

hardly what a professional should be paid..

rex cadets are still probably in mangalore waiting
for instructors and aircraft availability..

and im still under the belief that qantas have oly begun their redundancies..

domoman

HSC
Lol there is no question to why the pilots leave REX its a joke and they just use it as a stepping stone but there are a few of them are going to VB and J*. The figures you got their are about what ive heard aswell 50k for FO 70K for Capt, if they fixed that maybe the pilots might stick around a little longer. From my understanding the redundancies were mainly management, not many pilots most of them will probably be older captains taking the redundancy packages because they don't have long left?

Nick42673

HSC
In regards to alternate plans if you do not get the aviation course you want, I recommend expanding your avenues outside of the world of aviation. Maintain that your ultimate goal is to be flying for the airlines, but the ultimate preconditions of flying are your health and ability - if one of these falls short you will need another career path. Pilots have been known to fly for major airlines for some years, and then if their health deteriorates that have very few options to fall back on.

If you get into the aviation course you want - tops, go through with it! But when you're done, consider some part-time tertiary education (a fair few QF guys do this through Qantas College)

If you don't get it - look at doing a full degree in something else, and afterwards go into flying. A friend of mine got knocked back in yr12 for QF cadets, went to do commerce-law at USYD, then after it was all done re-applied for qantas with the added security of his degree under his belt [he now flies A320 right-seat for JQ in SIN].

HSC
domoman said:
Lol there is no question to why the pilots leave REX its a joke and they just use it as a stepping stone but there are a few of them are going to VB and J*. The figures you got their are about what ive heard aswell 50k for FO 70K for Capt, if they fixed that maybe the pilots might stick around a little longer. From my understanding the redundancies were mainly management, not many pilots most of them will probably be older captains taking the redundancy packages because they don't have long left?

70k is not even half of what a captain should b earning..
and qantas currently has a shortage of training captains..(and sims)
which is why many of the pilots who current have their
letter of intent are being delayed..

remember the original point you put foward of now being the best time
to enter the industry has been settled..

domoman

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
70k is not even half of what a captain should b earning..
and qantas currently has a shortage of training captains..(and sims)
which is why many of the pilots who current have their
letter of intent are being delayed..

remember the original point you put foward of now being the best time
to enter the industry has been settled..
Agreed 70k is really low for a Captain that they want to keep..

I heard of a QF pilot how just converted to the A330 from B767 sat a home for a month or 2 and couldnt fly very often cause of the shortage training/sim captains and its happening in almost every airline now.

Yer mate, sorry wasn't meaning to get at you I think we are looking at it from different perspectives your looking more economically right now for airlines where I see it overall as there isn't the supply of pilots that there use to be eg the Ansett collapse left no jobs for newbies at the time and the increased training costs and decreased pay is driving people away from becoming a pilot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)