• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ban red pens... for the children. (1 Viewer)

Should red pens be banned?

• Yes, the GLD Health Report shows they promote aggressive behaviour.

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • No, the Government should be ashamed.

Votes: 60 72.3%
  • No, the Opposition should be ashamed.

Votes: 42 50.6%

• Total voters

Nicoski

HSC
[FONT=&quot]Well in my case when I got my practice essays in literature back from my teacher and they were covered in green writing it was much nicer to look at then when it was covered in red pen. Maybe I just like green better? But I don't think they need to make a big deal over it. It’s all just a bit pedantic.[/FONT]

kel27

HSC
Exphate said:
Fucket. I'll be marking in big red texta, and stapling maccas applications to the tests of those who fail.

awesome lol

impervious182

HSC
Personally, I don't think the colour has much of an effect. In primary a teacher wrote 'rubbish!' on my essay in black pen and I was still really upset. lol.

impervious182

HSC
Exphate said:
Yah you see, it's all in the Wales part.

It's actually spelt Dickhead, but still pronounced the same way.
What a coincidence. I know another word spelt 'dickhead' too... but it's pronounce like the word 'exphate'. lol. :rofl:

Argh.... being funny by stealing other people's jokes after they've just used them, and turning them against the creator, is just so tedious and tiring sometimes. (It's a good thing I'm not funny then.)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Red is my favourite colour

I'm going to mark all my students' work in red, all the time, everyday. Any kid who wants to have a cry about it can jump out the window or something

seriously what is going on :confused: I don't recall ever being offended by the colour of a teacher's pen on my work.

fucking LOL at the article though

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
well this is pretty legit, theres plenty of psychological evidence supporting this move. Red is an aggressive colour, it sets off instincts in our brain, its also partly the reason why brake lights are red, easier to notice. I dont see why the government would have to legislate it, the difference is pretty minor overall, all i am saying is that if i were a teacher i would not be marking in red and all of my friends who are teachers dont mark in red either.

I dont get the negitive backlash against school systems trying to build self esteem in kids...maybe they do need to learn that the real world is full of failure, where far from the person coming last gets a medal, its more like the person who comes second gets nothing at all...after all they are just the first loser.
They are kids though, i would much prefer their self esteem is raised high enough so they can deal with problems when they arise[lots of studies to back this one up too] and kids with higher self esteem are less likely to get into drugs, less likely to have a teen pregnancy, more likely to succeed and a significantly lower rate of depression and other psychological problems.

Yeah the red pen thing is a really fucking small issue thats only a drop in the ocean, maybe legislation making teacher bullying forbidden [e.g my teachers used to call kids dumbasses for getting questions wrong, things like that] would have a heaps better effect on stuff then red pen bans but its just one more thing that needs to be done, its easily enforced easily implemented, basically free to introduce.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Serius said:
well this is pretty legit, theres plenty of psychological evidence supporting this move. Red is an aggressive colour, it sets off instincts in our brain, its also partly the reason why brake lights are red, easier to notice. I dont see why the government would have to legislate it, the difference is pretty minor overall, all i am saying is that if i were a teacher i would not be marking in red and all of my friends who are teachers dont mark in red either.

I dont get the negitive backlash against school systems trying to build self esteem in kids...maybe they do need to learn that the real world is full of failure, where far from the person coming last gets a medal, its more like the person who comes second gets nothing at all...after all they are just the first loser.
They are kids though, i would much prefer their self esteem is raised high enough so they can deal with problems when they arise[lots of studies to back this one up too] and kids with higher self esteem are less likely to get into drugs, less likely to have a teen pregnancy, more likely to succeed and a significantly lower rate of depression and other psychological problems.

Yeah the red pen thing is a really fucking small issue thats only a drop in the ocean, maybe legislation making teacher bullying forbidden [e.g my teachers used to call kids dumbasses for getting questions wrong, things like that] would have a heaps better effect on stuff then red pen bans but its just one more thing that needs to be done, its easily enforced easily implemented, basically free to introduce.
are you trolling lol

building up a bit of self esteem I have no problem with, but being told "don't mark in red pen because you might hurt their little feelings" is beyond ridiculous. what kind of kid is going to run crying to mum because Teacher corrected their spelling with red instead of green? or have their mental wellbeing unbalanced or whatever else that article is trying to suggest? seriously, wtf.

there's self esteem and then there's just going overboard

sunsettah

HSC
Mm it's all a bit silly if you ask me.
I do understand the whole 'red possibly being associated with aggression' etc.
But... I highly doubt any kid has ever been upset about their work being marked in red. i even doubt that they've ever subconciously been affected by it either =/ there are definately a lot more things out there worth worrying about...
Like the abolishment of the transfer system!?
What the HELL is the point in that... What are little country towns like mine going to do!?

Stupid stupid stupid -_-

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
alexdore993 said:
Personally, I don't think the colour has much of an effect. In primary a teacher wrote 'rubbish!' on my essay in black pen and I was still really upset. lol.
was it denying evolution and global warming? :D

boris

Banned
HSC
Serius said:

If they cant handle it, they have no place in society

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Idk, I've kind of had it with all this wrapping kids in cotton wool business that goes on in schools

It's BLACKBOARD and WHITEBOARD, not whatever politically correct names they supposedly have now
Raising your voice to students is totally necessary and acceptable in certain situations and I'd rather feelings were hurt than safety compromised or discipline thrown out the window
"Fail" should be an accepted grade if the kids work is seriously sub-par. They can always be given opportunity to improve
Red pen is...red pen. Get over it.

etc

arrgh

~Natalie:)~

HSC
Out of all the important things going on in the world the government is worrying about red pens?? why??

boris

Banned
HSC
lol lol at smoko sarvo they were talking about this and apparently the kids at school sing "ba ba rainbow (or insert various ridiculous colour that isn't black) sheep have you any wool" lol so retarded. rainbow sheep dont exist unless you die the wool and thats silly

Edit: oh yeah you cant die black wool, thats why its not worth mucho moneies

impervious182

HSC
No way. Kids need to be protected more.

Julia Gillard should call for the creation of a new union for children, which is compulsory and which has the power to mediate negotiations between parents and children...

There also needs to be a union, so that children can voice any concerns they have about their parents.

And there should be no failing or repeating a grade. Only positive reinforcement...

Also why shouldn't it be called a 'shiny texter' board instead of a white or black board. Using white and black is racist... but just banning red pens isn't enough. White paper should also be banned and replaced with black... to be alternated every 1 year - for full equality.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Bring on the Red Army. We are mollycoddling too many people nowadays--our kids, different ethnic groups, etc. And what about if you got an A+ written in red? "Oh no that's only an A in my eyes because it's written in red". Stupid.

impervious182

HSC
lala2 said:
Bring on the Red Army. We are mollycoddling too many people nowadays--our kids, different ethnic groups, etc. And what about if you got an A+ written in red? "Oh no that's only an A in my eyes because it's written in red". Stupid.
I completely agreed with you... until I realised you were being sarcastic.

Red is bad... it's proven. Haven't you seen the cartoons with the rampaging bulls?

P.S. I'm sorry my sarcasm is not funny. I am very tired today.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
are you trolling lol

building up a bit of self esteem I have no problem with, but being told "don't mark in red pen because you might hurt their little feelings" is beyond ridiculous. what kind of kid is going to run crying to mum because Teacher corrected their spelling with red instead of green? or have their mental wellbeing unbalanced or whatever else that article is trying to suggest? seriously, wtf.

there's self esteem and then there's just going overboard
Its not about hurting their little feelings...its mostly subconcious, they did studies on it, if you see red writting all over the work you are proud if telling you are shit you are it can hurt your self esteem. Its a buildup as well, every day you get back peices of work covered in red writing telling you how bad at life you are, it has an effect. No one peice of marked work will upset you but the overall buildup can have an effect in some [admittedly sensitive] people

I agree though that it is a tiny little insigificant problem and no kid is going to have a break down because their work was marked in red, its just one of thousands of little things that schools do wrong, but it is nowhere near the biggest problem and they should be diferting their resources to stop far more significant problems....BUT just because it is a small problem doesnt mean it shouldnt be fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)