belonging comprehension (1 Viewer)

esraa

HSC
does anyone actually study for this.. i would just do a few unseen texts 2 days before the exam to get in the style of it but does anyone actually go hardcore studying for this?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
basically when I did my HSC I did one section 1 task a day, for 10 days before the exam. It helps because the concepts would be fresh in your memory and also you become very familiar with the techniques and you spot them in no time. However, before I got to this stage, I made sure I was aware of the different features of the different types of texts.

But I know of a student who I currently tutor, who doesn't do any practice and scores full marks - so it comes down to the person

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
People study for that? Geez, it's just bullcrapping on the day. Though I suppose some people are better at it than others - so it probably would be best for those people to attempt a few in the days beforehand to get their bullcrapping skills to the maximum.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
I actually find this part very tricky. I worry about time, and then because of this, i don't fully digest the significance, and ideas within the texts, and thus end up bs my way to 7/15.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Sigh, i need to really practise these.

This was the reason why i didn't come 1st in trials.... since i got 8/15... I swear this section should be an easy 14-15/15.

jamesfirst

HSC
Yes this section is quite hard.

In my tuition, they make us do section 1 every week. But I never really learn anything from it...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I actually find this part very tricky. I worry about time, and then because of this, i don't fully digest the significance, and ideas within the texts, and thus end up bs my way to 7/15.
As did I. It usually was one of the worse sections of the HSC English exam/trial for me. Somehow did well in the HSc though. Constant practice.

jniranjan

HSC
Yea, i hate section 1 too. I got 8/15. With the HSC, i usually get ~11. the stupid mushroomer poem pissed me off.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How do you write good 'bullshit'? You find a technique and extrapolate every possible point you can possibly construe to link to belonging. I got 14.5/15 raw for section 1 in the actual HSC. And I did absolutely none of this 'practice' stuff you are all talking about - it might work for you, but whatever floats your boat.

For example, this is my 3/3 response for 1d in the Paper 1 of the 2010 HSC:

"The speaker uses imagery and language to illustrate their dissatisfaction with how the family photo album 'records' their belonging. The tone is set with words such as 'the camera's indifferent gaze' and 'falsify appearances' as its tone of voice is that of annoyance perhaps - and the powerful image at the end of 'burned the negatives' is a powerful one to illustrate the emotional felt and this need to get a 'true account', which allowed the 'abridgement of their lives'. Other marks of strong tone-setting language include 'Tinny laughter echoes / from the staged scene on an artificial / beach', use of 'tinny', 'staged' and 'artificial' present resounding echoes to the reader's mind of how fake the portraits or pictures are.

Juxtaposition of that ideal with the non-inclusion of 'evidence of aimless nights' or 'wilderness of ourselves' present powerful undertones of a sad reality that is portrayed falsely with ideals. The line 'no pictures of our... lost intentions' also add to this effect of falsity in the supposed 'record' of their 'life', thus the burning of those which did not give a true account."

What I gather from that is:
- very close reference to the text given
- extrapolation of techniques and THE EFFECT IT HAS ON THE READER AND HOW IT RELATES TO BELONGING AS A WHOLE
- bullcrapping

Alkanes

HSC
Yep very good bullshit. Can u show me a good bullshit 5-6 marker response?

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Yep very good bullshit. Can u show me a good bullshit 5-6 marker response?

I usually do alright on these ones. get about 4/5. For me, its the 3 markers and 2 markers that screw me. Teachers are so picky. It states a one marker - identify a feature that demonstrates an idea about not belonging....Facial expressions x wrong. I thought English was all about personal interpretation ayee.

Alkanes

HSC
Yea some reason the 5-6 markers i only achieve about a 3.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They didn't have a 5-6 mark question in the HSC last year, iirc. They had a five mark question but I only got 4.5 =P

SpreadTheWord

HSC
They didn't have a 5-6 mark question in the HSC last year, iirc. They had a five mark question but I only got 4.5 =P
That's very good mate. But is it the sophistication of your answers that get you marks, or is it the argument you get create, with basic and sophistication not being relative??

jnney

lemon
HSC
Good BS comes from responding to a range of past papers.

jnney

lemon
HSC
But if you practice, you WILL inevitably get better. If you're having trouble, you should ask your teacher for some pointers. :)

Alkanes

HSC
Hmm yes but when you write it and check the solutions. The solutions make you feel like shit because their answers/ideas are way much better lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)