Belonging Question About Songs (1 Viewer)

burkefan

HSC
Hi, I was just wondering that if we choose a song for belonging (mine being 'Bohemian Rhapsody'), are we required only to analyze the lyrics, or do we also analyze things such as tempo, time signature and melody etc?

astroe

HSC
Seeing as it's English, I would recommended that you stick to any Belonging aspects at face value - so, from the lyrics/words ONLY. You can approach it as if it's a poem.
The song itself may not be familiar to the marker so it would be difficult to demonstrate how certain aural aspects convey a sense of Belonging.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
No, use the entire lot of the song - analyse the musical aspects as well incorporating what the timbre of individual instruments add to the value of the song, what the overall tone is, tempo etc... the list is endless for this.

I would say to spend more time on the lyrics, however, since it is English but do take an in-depth look at the musicality of the piece and ensure that you're using correct terms and language to describe the music and how it feels.

burkefan

HSC
Thanks, that's what I thought; as long as I can relate the musicality back to belonging, and incorporate with the lyrics, that should be okay since the same goes for a film.

mecramarathon

HSC
i think if you specify in your essay, "in the song Bohemian Rhapsody (audio)" then your free to analyze how music plays a part in the belonging theme e.g. discordant sounds evoke the tensions of not belonging etc

brendroid

HSC
i think if you specify in your essay, "in the song Bohemian Rhapsody (audio)" then your free to analyze how music plays a part in the belonging theme e.g. discordant sounds evoke the tensions of not belonging etc
Or you can say 'the song Bohemian Rhapsody makes use of [insert musical techniques]'. If when talking about film you can discuss elements such as shots/close-ups/slow-motion (that are not literary techniques), and with art elements such as colour, tone, size/shape, medium (statue/painting), I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use musical techniques as long as they apply to your argument. Just don't go overboard; the lyrics are good too.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you are using a song you MUST try to incorporate the musical techniques being used. It is not enough to simply examine the lyrics. You need to discuss things like tempo, tone, key, time signature, key changes, crescendos, major/minor patterns, instrument selection etc. If you can not do this, or don't know what those terms mean, do not do a song.

Not only this, but you have to be able to demonstrate conclusively that certain musical techniques evoke certain emotions or idea. You can't just make an abitrary link between a technique and a concept. Unless you have a background in music, this will be extremely difficult.

Basically, if possible, avoid songs. They are difficult to analyse, and even harder to convey to a marker.

khfreakau

HSC
I recall a friend of mine showing me a line from an essay that went something like

"Flo Rida describes the exclusion of the persona, "the club can't even handle [him] right now"... etc etc" hahaha

Lyrics are probably big, and should form the bulk of the analysis, but you should always aim to incorporate techniques specific to each medium in order to demonstrate how the text's FORM conveys features of belonging.

JoannaS2

HSC
how about music videos? Is doing music videos of mainstream artists nor recommended?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Music videos are fine. However, they often lack suitable depth for discussion.

Kat92

HSC
If you are using a song you MUST try to incorporate the musical techniques being used. It is not enough to simply examine the lyrics. You need to discuss things like tempo, tone, key, time signature, key changes, crescendos, major/minor patterns, instrument selection etc. If you can not do this, or don't know what those terms mean, do not do a song.

Not only this, but you have to be able to demonstrate conclusively that certain musical techniques evoke certain emotions or idea. You can't just make an abitrary link between a technique and a concept. Unless you have a background in music, this will be extremely difficult.

Basically, if possible, avoid songs. They are difficult to analyse, and even harder to convey to a marker.
+1 to this. Exactly what my English teacher told those who were doing music as an elective and thought analysing a song would be an easy way out of extra work.

kBOS

HSC
N/A
I think with that song ('Club Can't Handle Me'), it's more a case of the lyrics meaning "I'm too hot for the club, I'm on fire etc." as opposed to I don't belong to the club, it won't "let me in".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)