• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best Weights Program! (1 Viewer)

Oliver04

HSC
5000-7000?!?! Thats soo much, i thought it'd be around 3.5 ..shit...

You rekon you could send me or post up your diet? do you eat that much every day or just work out days?

TBH i dont raelly wanna get on the protein powders atm since i just started...is that a big disadvantage?

Thanks again for your hlp!
No protein? no worries. Thing about protein powder is off ebay its cheap (you can buy a 5kg bag for $100, a 10kg for $170 and 20kg for $280) and doesn't take much to eat, so you can boost your calorie intake a lot.

3500 calories isn't bad, but yeah you'll have to eat more than that. Basically you need to eat 200-400 more calories than you expend, which when you're lifting you expend a lot.

I'd just shoot for one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, mostly from meat and dairy, and from there just eat till your not hungry. A good way to do this is to eat:
- 2-3L of milk a day
- 3 protein shakes a day
- 500g of meat a day
- a bigass can of tuna/salmon a day
- go to maccas/dominos at least x3 a week

You don't have to do all of these, but 2-3 should get you going.

My diet is usually:

Breakfast: 8 weetabix, 1L of milk, a scoop of protein powder

Lunch: Two pieces of fruit, a double patty hamburger or 2 pieces of fruit, 400-600g of chicken breast fried in olive oil and 2 glasses of milk

Post workout: 1.25L of milk, 2 pieces of fruit, heaped scoop of protein powder

Dinner: whatever mum makes, dominos or maccas

Before bed: a few handfuls of almonds, 1L of milk.

Oliver04

HSC
This sudden surge of nutrients should NOT just come directly after a workout, but should be maintained throughout your day. You need to balance that shit , not save it all for one moment -- the body can only absorb so much.

[if I'm wrong, aware me brahs]
It sounds like too much sugar to me, which despite all the bro science isn't needed after working out.

1L of milk would be better on his budget and for his body imo.

Oliver04

HSC
Squats and deadlifts are pretty dangerous hey.
If you can tell me how something that expresses a normative motion of the body in space and is done by Olympic lifters x6 a week in a sport in which less people are injured than PE classes nationally, I'd like to hear it.

Lifting weights is one of the safest sports you can do because you can control the parameters - eg you can start off lifting something as light as a broomstick, whereas a collision between 2 100 pound ten year-olds on a soccer field is an unscalable event.

I really like you Graney and have a lot of respect for your posts but I've gotta say this is probably not your area of expertise.

It's really frustrating when you've had a barbell on your back for sometime, have had great success and try to help somebody in a sport where most people get raped by supplement companies and people who don't lift give advice 'rippetoes will make u all bulky and yuck' or 'deadlifting is dangerous'. It's like elmo from sesame st giving advice on brain surgery.

again, what is the one activity which is RECOMMENDED BY DOCTORS for people recovering from injuries? oh yeah, weight training.

Last edited:

Oliver04

HSC
exactly what i reckon, i'd be terrified to try em out unless i have an experienced professional spotting me.
Omie,

I could understand if this was a snatch or a clean and jerk but the squat and deadlift are pretty safe lifts.

If a deadlift is too heavy for you it won't move from the ground, period. If you get fatigued, the bar just drops onto the ground.

With squats, if you get stuck at the bottom you move forward and let it drop backwards from your back.

I know you bench press and that's the more dangerous exercise. It causes most injuries in weightlifting when people try to unrack and drop it on their face or get stuck under it.

Benkas

HSC
So it looks like I'm starting the SS program tomoro :D

Just wondering, I do the reps of my max? I read somewhere start at 70% of max or something? and also at each session I should be increasing he weights?

Oliver04

HSC
So it looks like I'm starting the SS program tomoro :D

Just wondering, I do the reps of my max? I read somewhere start at 70% of max or something? and also at each session I should be increasing he weights?
You're a beginner you dont have a max.

Just start where you feel comfortable. (a 60kg squat, 40kg bench and 60kg deadlift after you learn form with an empty bar is a good start).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I said they're dangerous. I didn't say anything about advising against them. It's about risk management.

If you can tell me how something that expresses a normative motion of the body in space and is done by Olympic lifters x6 a week in a sport in which less people are injured than PE, I'd like to hear it.
There wasn't a question there. But I assume you meants "is dangerous"

Those statistics are for the entire sport. I cannot find statistics for deadlifts, only information on how dangerous they are, and how to reduce the risk. Squats seem to be cool, so long as your technique is good. The statistics for injury from deadlifts/100 hours would be much higher than the overall statistics.

Spinal injury is an order of magnitude worse than a typical soccer injury.

I'm a motorcyclist. The injury rate for road motorcyclists per 100 hours is approximately 0.035. This is better than almost all other sports. Should I tell my friends motorcycling is much safer than soccer?

again, what is the one activity which is RECOMMENDED BY DOCTORS for people recovering from injuries? oh yeah, weight training.
How often do doctors recommend deadlifts and squats though?

Oliver04

HSC
It would be good to have a coach, but unless you can find an old olympic lifter or powerlifter then they're hard to come across. I think all of the core 4 slow lifts (bench, press, squat, deadlift) are safe if learnt correctly, and starting off with a solid guide like starting strength before the lifts get heavy would allow this.

Powerlifting is based around 3 key movements: bench, squat and deadlift, each making up 1/3rd of the competition. Of those the most common injuries are to the shoulder as a result of the bench press.

A deadlift is merely a pull from the ground with an arched back, as if you were lifting up a box. Its a very easy exercise to learn because all you need to do is arch the back and pull. Most deadlifts injuries actually occur when the bicep rips off from the bone, but these tend to happen to people who are pulling close to 400kg.

The problem with this attitude to the core lifts is that you're really missing out if you don't do them. Again, the squat and deadlifts are the best exercises out there because they closely duplicate how the body moves in sport and work.

With the deadlift being an exercise which keeps your lower back development in check, my bigger worry would be the safety of lifters NOT deadlifting at least x1 their bodyweight.

BreezerD

HSC
I'd say deadlifts are the safest exercise, followed by squats, and then benching being the most dangerous. Deadlifts are not technically demanding at all and very difficult to injure oneself doing without prior injuries or massive imbalances.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I'd say deadlifts are the safest exercise, followed by squats, and then benching being the most dangerous. Deadlifts are not technically demanding at all and very difficult to injure oneself doing without prior injuries or massive imbalances.
there is the chance of ruining your back during a deadlift, but i guess thats why it'd be good to practice with a light weight first, to work on form, before going heavy.

thats pretty much the only thing im worried about with deadlifts.

edit: i keep thinking deadlifts are the one where u raise the barbell above your head, but its not, meaning its looks less dangerous than i originally thought, but still the thought of screwing the back kinda worries me, but then again ive never deadlifted before, so i wouldnt know.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You can only ruin your back doing deadlifts if you lift with poor form. And the form is not that demanding.

1. Feet shoulders width
2. Shins to the bar
3. Bend down
4. Weight on heels
5. Arms straight, grip bar
6. Shoulders (scapula) inline with the bar
7. Neutral spine
8. Stand up in fluid movement
9. Repeat

Did I miss any/make a mistake?

The Clean and Jerk is also relatively straightforward because it can be segmented so easily. The snatch is imo a little harder because it is harder to segment and to me does not feel as natural as the others.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
so basically u just stand up, then down, then up, etc?

also whats a good amount of reps x sets for deadlifts? Ive seen some ppl have stuff like 5x3 of ??kg in their sig, so im guessing it's good to do a large enough weight to be able to do 3 sets of 5 reps?

Benkas

HSC
Today I did my first SS session :D

3x5 Bench press

3x15 pullups ( i couldnt go all the way that many times so i used the machine)

3x5 Squats ( i was really unsure with these and still am as this was my first time doing them....)

I also added in Incline Bench press (3x8), and two sets of the leg press machine

I'm really unsure about deadlift too, as I havne't done that before either. Ive watched quite a few videos on youtube to see ATG squat technique, but after the first set i could feel it in my lower back and only a little in my legs, so i tried it a different way and could feel it in my legs more, but still in back :( i guess il have to watch a few more videos or ask someone to help me out and for deadlift i've never even attempted it so ill look around for technique on that too

BreezerD

HSC
Just do pullups to failure with your bodyweight.

Squatting, there are lots of form videos on youtube, but try to emulate this: YouTube - Vladimir Bondarenko squatting 445kg

That's pretty much a perfect squat. Video yourself squatting if you can and post vids here and we'll help you out.

Omie, it is VERY HARD to injure your back deadlifting. You can herniate discs etc. with a rounded lumbar spine, but really a young person with no joint or skeletal problems is going to have a hard time injuring themselves deadlifting. Deadlifting is a very natural way of picking heavy shit up off the ground. The easiest way to injure yourself deadlifting is by trying to bend the elbows during the lift.

BreezerD

HSC
Just realised, I forgot to clarify - those pics from 75kg to 93kg I posted before were over the space of 6 months...

Oliver04

HSC
Today I did my first SS session :D

3x5 Bench press

3x15 pullups ( i couldnt go all the way that many times so i used the machine)

3x5 Squats ( i was really unsure with these and still am as this was my first time doing them....)

I also added in Incline Bench press (3x8), and two sets of the leg press machine

I'm really unsure about deadlift too, as I havne't done that before either. Ive watched quite a few videos on youtube to see ATG squat technique, but after the first set i could feel it in my lower back and only a little in my legs, so i tried it a different way and could feel it in my legs more, but still in back :( i guess il have to watch a few more videos or ask someone to help me out and for deadlift i've never even attempted it so ill look around for technique on that too
Please just do the program.

Squats are a hip motion, they work almost everything in your lower body, they're not a 'leg' exercise as such.

eventually the weights will get so high on the program that extra sets of leg press and inclines will fry you. don't do it.

Oliver04

HSC
so basically u just stand up, then down, then up, etc?

also whats a good amount of reps x sets for deadlifts? Ive seen some ppl have stuff like 5x3 of ??kg in their sig, so im guessing it's good to do a large enough weight to be able to do 3 sets of 5 reps?
deadlifts are pretty taxing on the body, so 1x5 once a week is all you need.

btw omie, the exercise you're worried about the overhead press will correct shoulder imbalances and stop you injuring your rotorcuff.

Omie: assuming you're not of groundbreaking genetics the only way you're going to get big is by focusing on progression on the core lifts. If you dont do the core lifts for whatever reason you simply wont get big. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)