Big W group interview (1 Viewer)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
FYI, i've merged the smaller 'big w group interview' thread here. there is no point having two threads talking about the exact same thing, with the same title.

johony

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
You can't just walk in and take one of the good jobs

you have to earn it :D
Actaully, i started working at Home Entertainment as soon as i started. It was christmas when i started, so they needed the staff.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
an odd question, but i will ask anyway. what aspect of this job with big-w do you guys enjoy? how long will you be keeping it for?

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Ok, after appyling 2 days ago, already have got the "Group Interview email", which is great. How many people turn up for these group interviews??

Does BigW really worry about all that Group crap, or is it all based on "Availability" like others seem to do

P

pLuvia

Group interviews usually have about 20 or so people. Well I'm not sure about the group thing, because nearly everyone in my group got a job, and I only said a little bit. Just say stuff that seems important lol

Also you might have to do a role play of some sort

Just have a lot of availability then change it later

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
pLuvia said:
Just have a lot of availability then change it later
That's the plan:)

But I hated the colesmyer group interview cause there was like 150 of us in a huge room. At least ive been to one and am ready to go!

Whats the roleplay on, can someone fill me in

Last edited:

johony

HSC
wuddie said:
an odd question, but i will ask anyway. what aspect of this job with big-w do you guys enjoy? how long will you be keeping it for?
the people are pretty good i guess, and also i can work only 4 hours a week without them complaning. i'll probably be keeping this job just before xmas, then i'll change.

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
so my first shift was last tuesday, but it was more of a traning day than a real shift
anyway, the manager informed me that us new employees will start to appear on the roster after 2 weeks.
was this the case for everyone?

P

pLuvia

Yep, because they usually produce the rosters for 3 weeks, so 2 weeks in advanced

"Chubby"

HSC
wuddie said:
Having been at Big w for 3 yrs and 5 months..id say that i like the people that i work with, up until 3 months or so ago i did not have a problem..but now that lil problem is fixed. Also maybe its cos i only work weekends..if i did 5 days a week i would go ballastic.

Umm ill prolly keep this job til i graduate from uni, which is another 3 yrs ( if i don't fail) so in total that'll be 7 yrs at big w!!! crazyy i know..

"Chubby"

HSC
johony said:
the people are pretty good i guess, and also i can work only 4 hours a week without them complaning. i'll probably be keeping this job just before xmas, then i'll change.
changing already johnny? cmon it's not thatt bad :p ahahhaha

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
johony said:
what do they complain about?
do you do your job properly

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
So scared, got the Group Interview tommorow night at 4. There is only going to be 20 people so should be fine. Any last minute tips??

-Should I just wear a neat, and tidy casual
-Should I go "over-the-top" in the group stuff???
-Crap, I forgot about the "one-on-one" Interview-What do they ask me??

Thanks guys, it all helps!!!

johony

HSC
Bored.Of.Life said:
what do they complain about?
do you do your job properly
well not complaining as such, but they're not nagging me to do more hours as i'm pretty much doing the bare minimum.

changing already johnny? cmon it's not thatt bad :p ahahhaha
oh cmon, xmas is more than 6 months away. the job isn't bad, its just...mundane more than anything else. plus some of the customers, eugh.

P

pLuvia

Clothing isn't an issue, it's the way you present yourself, how you answer etc. Don't stress out too much, just be yourself.

With the one-on-one they just ask you your availability, your past work experience, umm why you think they should give you the job.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
generally with group interviews, i find it pretty easy to land the job. they tend to have a large number of spots to fill, and your chances are about 1-3 or better. because really, if they get an interview of (let's say) 50 people for only 10 spots, it will be too much trouble for them to pick the 'best' 10 for just that 1 hour of interaction. so as long as you are articulate and behave yourself, not trying to act like you own the joint, then you should get it.

then again, i've had a friend who went for an interview at myers, 200 people went for 20 odd vacancies. but that's myers.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I've found availability to be the biggest deciding factor at most of the group interviews I've attended. One was for a christmas casual job, so that's understandable, they're not going to hire anyone who isn't available the whole 2 months or most of it...another one was for a new store that was opening so I guess they wanted people who were available all the time to get the store on its feet. The others were all pretty stock-standard but I did notice the note-taker people perking up when people said they had five days available and being kinda :/ when people said they had 1 or 2 days.

It's understandable. I do think if the interview is basically a cattle call to hire a whole bunch of people that your availability shouldn't be an issue.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Well, Finially the stupid group interview is OVER. It was going along all fine, did the silly role-play, and all the availability stuff. There is 180 positions up for grabs. I applied for Recovery, Checkouts, and had to rescehule my Interview, so Stuck with all the Nightfillers'(yobbos).

What worried me was the store manager(total arsehole for first impression) was that he said "If any single one of you ven attempt to change your availability within the first 4months, this will be the shortest carrer you will ever come across"OH SHIT .So changed my times a little bit, but he kept repeating it, and as I have a job at Coles working only 1-2 crap shifts a week, HOW THE HELL AND I GOING TO WORK IT ALL OUT!. I have 3 holidays booked within the next 8months, and I didn't write these in, well I would have been shot if I did!

Ah Well, Have to wait to Tuesday for the result, then the damn INTERVIEW:shy:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
snap. What a dickhead. onceu start calling in sick every sunday they kind of get the point though.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
The new BigW uniform is very nice, The guys shirt looks good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)