• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Big W group interview (1 Viewer)

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Are you still doing both?

Back in High School, I got a job in Target while doing work experience there when I was in year 11, the Manager was happy with me when I did work experience and was offered the job, this happened back in 1957.
What?
If you mean am I "still doing" both jobs, then no, just Target. :p

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
I thought it'd take longer than 3 days for Big W seeing how they have to go through all candidates' resumes and interview results as well as calling up their referees.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
chicky_pie said:
I thought you got offered both. :rofl:
Oh nah, they were about 3 years apart haha.

& OP yeah I'd imagine it'd take much longer at Big W than it would at Woolworths or something because they'd actually do background checks with referees and stuff.

P

pLuvia

Well to give you an idea I was contacted for a group interview on a friday and got the job on a monday

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
it has been 5 days and I still haven't received an email from them. I hope they are courteous enough to let me know even if I don't get the job.

P

pLuvia

You could try contacting the recruitment officers, shows initiative :) But then they conduct interviews session by session you were probably the first few groups, and they may have just finished the interviews

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
I got the job even though I was 10 minutes late for the group interview!

Congratulations. I am pleased to be able to offer you a position with BIG W and would like to confirm the terms and conditions of your employment as follows:

Position: Recovery Associate
Reporting to:
Employment Status: Casual
Effective: Thursday 1st May 2008

Please take the time to read this offer thoroughly, as it contains important information relating to your commencement at BIG W.

the induction is on at the same day as uni.
what should I do :confused:

P

pLuvia

I had my induction at night, (i.e. 3 to 9pm) you can tell them and just come late

JJBearPaw

HSC
It depends how much you want the job I guess. Is it worth missing uni?

It'd probably be worthwhile calling them up and telling them you have uni and asking if you can come later/another day.

Great work on getting the job!

At Diva, they just didn't call you back. They said
"if we haven't called you in 7 days, then you're not hired"

Fair enough too I guess.

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
JJBearPaw said:
It depends how much you want the job I guess. Is it worth missing uni?

It'd probably be worthwhile calling them up and telling them you have uni and asking if you can come later/another day.

Great work on getting the job!
cheers JJ :D

my induction goes from 4.30-9pm, so I might go to my 2-3pm tute and rush to Big W as soon as I'm finished. I figured I'll miss out on my 3-4pm tute as this induction is compulsary and I don't want to be late again, considering I was 10 mins late for my interview! is it okay if I just wear casual clothes? in the email it said that we should dress business-like.

At Diva, they just didn't call you back. They said
"if we haven't called you in 7 days, then you're not hired".
the person who interviewed me said that he will only email us back if we're successful in getting the job. I thought it was a bit harsh.

P

pLuvia

Just wear whatever you want, I mean you have already got the job lol. I just wore casual, and honestly it would be better if you missed out on some of the the induction. It's really boring and a waste of time, only that you need to sign the contract (that's the only important thing during the whole session). If I had an excuse to go late I would have lol

If you need to go to the tute, then just say you have a tute at that time and will be a few minutes late, I'm sure they'll understand

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
pLuvia said:
Just wear whatever you want, I mean you have already got the job lol. I just wore casual, and honestly it would be better if you missed out on some of the the induction. It's really boring and a waste of time, only that you need to sign the contract (that's the only important thing during the whole session). If I had an excuse to go late I would have lol

If you need to go to the tute, then just say you have a tute at that time and will be a few minutes late, I'm sure they'll understand
but I know nothing about recovery and might be clueless on my first day of work! do you get along with the other Big W staff? I met a few really nice people at the interview, wonder if they got the job ha ha

P

pLuvia

They don't teach you your roles on induction night, it's more like a night for teaching you the rules and all. You learn how to do your role on your first shift

A lot of the people who work at my store are quite nice, I get along with all the people who were in my group interview (since about all of them got the job as well)

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
I'm so sorry about the questions, but I was just wondering how do we let Big W know if we change our bank account? do we have to ask the manager for some sort of form?

and one other thing, am I correct in saying that recovery people who start work after 5pm don't interact with the customers at all? recovery is harder than I thought! especially when you have no bloody idea which shelves/row the products belong to.

thanks in advance.

Bored.Of.Life

HSC
pLuvia said:
Recovery is basically when the store nearly closes about 1 or 2 hours before it closes, the recovery people take out old stock/rearrange stock/front face stock/make everything neat etc. for the nightfillers to put in the new stock or replenish the old stock. That's the gist of it anyway.

Which store are you at?
how do you know if it's old stock?

tonight we had our induction and one of the staff was training us, and we were basically asked to put in new stock on the shelves. isn't that job meant for nightfillers? I'm kinda confused.

my first real shift starts this Tuesday. I don't know what I'm meant to do once I get there, go upto to the managers and ask for a role perhaps? we weren't trained properly! :vcross:

P

pLuvia

Recovery associates start 1 or 2 hours before closing (at my store anyway). So there might be a slight chance of customer interaction but you can just tell them to ask the courtesy desk if you don't know where something is.

Regarding bank account, there should be a form that you can fill out to change your bank account and then hand it into the cash office or if you can't find it, ask the cash office

P

pLuvia

I think nightfillers put in the new stock, I was told recovery staff just front face the items, and pull the old stock out so the nightfillers can put the new stock inside. Regarding old stock, I'm guessing it's just the items on the currently on the shelf, or maybe you guys get trained to look at some code to tell you

Your main job is basically to make everything look neat :)

Last edited by a moderator:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Bored.Of.Life said:
how do you know if it's old stock?

tonight we had our induction and one of the staff was training us, and we were basically asked to put in new stock on the shelves. isn't that job meant for nightfillers? I'm kinda confused.

my first real shift starts this Tuesday. I don't know what I'm meant to do once I get there, go upto to the managers and ask for a role perhaps? we weren't trained properly! :vcross:
You should ask, nothing looks worse than an employee wandering aimlessly around the store because they don't really know what they should be doing. Or failing that just do what you did at training and if you're not meant to be there, your boss will direct you to what you should be doing.

Inadequate training is fail. I hate when that happens.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
johony said:
Yeah, i've been told i can't do fitting rooms or lay-by, so i'll just go to checkouts. Boring maybe, but at least i wont be barked at all the time.

Maybe i should give cosmetics a go? :p
You can't just walk in and take one of the good jobs

you have to earn it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)