BOS Showcase: 2009 Major Works (2 Viewers)

zeppelinqueen12

HSC
Fuck it.

Wrote that and decided to atleast have a go. Started reading Zeppelinqueen's and couldn't stop.

Really enjoyed it. Was engaging both intellectually and as a readable narrative. I kept reading and kept finding little contradictions, but realised very quickly how deliberate it all was. Loved how you sort of developed really intricate concepts around really blunt tools (ie stereotypes). I think as an EE2 student asking questions on the validity of post-modernism is essential. It's almost our responsibility to respond to the hopelessness of the whole thing, and I think your story works really well as a personal response to this.
It's the kind of idea I want to sit down and talk for days about haha.

Also thought your writing style was particularly charming. Nothing too OTT but definitely had a quirky sort of feel to it.

Anyway congrats. You should be proud of what you've accomplished.

Ps- props for the Chet Baker pic

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked it. If you want to begin a discussion about responding to postmodernism, let's go. Questioning our own context should be our priority as students, not studying past contexts trying to decipher their motives or "reasons" behind why they wrote. It is a shame that all great literature has been slotted into categories merely for the sake of our own convenience, just because they have similar features. Postmodernism? End of creativity? Give me a break. Story telling is an art, not an asset.

Yeah, don't get me started really. And yet, who the hell am I to question centuries of literary history? A lot hangs in the balance of our opinions. Come on people, let's get this board pumping again!

ASub, I'm with Clifford. I have saved Water/Sounds and will keep it for a very long time. It is so delicate, so amazingly lyrical. I hope your marker is a groovy dreamer so it will get the 50 it deserves.

Glad to see someone else is into jazz, instead of the Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and All American Reject crap that radiates our airwaves. Kudos!

Clifford

HSC
But see Zeppelin, that's the same kind of generic knee jerk non-conformist self satisfaction that I hate (as in the Miley Cyrus crap). Yes, YES, it is crap, but I think that on the topic of manufactured meaning, if something is on triple J, I hate to admit it, but I probably will like it more than if the same song was on todayfm. It's all the same not liking the music for the music, but liking the music for the (subjective) slickness of the medium.

But you're right that we should be studying our own context. It's so brilliant knowing that we have a context, in the same way that the Romantics, modernists, beats, everyone did, and why can't we, who are just humans that need to sleep and shit like all those other brilliant poets and writers, create our own movement? They (those ubiquitous people that know everything) say post-modernism's lethargy is getting shaken up by the next horrible catergory. But why can't we make our own? Have our own movement? The post-modernists can be our neo-classicists and we can rebel, rebel, rebel and put our disenchantment to use. Why the hell shoulnd't we?

Last edited:

catherinet

HSC
Everyone's MW's are amazing!
I WOULD post mine up.. but i'm too scared/intimidated...
Maybe later. hmm.

Asubmarine

HSC
mm yea I agree post it up.

back @ clifford and zeppelin - I'll agree that pomo is somewhat of an ambiguous cop out. As far as i'm aware it's an inadequate description of the current artistic climate. Literarily i'd say that there's been enough evidence of innovation beyond deconstuctionism to suggest that pomo is not as edgy as it makes itself out to be. IMO it all fits in a little too nicely with the analytic modes that hsc english centres around. As students we definitely get a very polarised view of the whole situation and it's important to keep that in mind.

also, alex.leon is right - this is way off topic. Might leave my contribution to this pomo discussion at that..

Clifford

HSC
Yes, that's definetly fair. Hmmm, maybe all movements end and new ones begin just because people get sick to death of hearing about the old ones...

But that's wah-aayyy off topic...

Catherinet (or something...) post yours up. Hate to say it, but you're one of the people I bos stalk. You know what I mean by bos stalk, donthca?

On the topic of stalking, where did diametric go?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Yes, that's definetly fair. Hmmm, maybe all movements end and new ones begin just because people get sick to death of hearing about the old ones...

Catherinet (or something...) post yours up. Hate to say it, but you're one of the people I bos stalk. You know what I mean by bos stalk, donthca?

:S

All your deep discussions on postmodernism and literature in general have made me feel so inadequate. I'm going to go do some Art logbook bullshitting. Where I belong- ha!

catherinet

HSC

hahaha clifford, you're up quite high on my 'most stalked' list too :tongue:

catherinet

HSC
Okay, here goes...
Just glancing over it again makes me want to die, so please, do what you will with it (burn it, bite it, drown it... be creative)

Ohh, also, the spacing and punctuation may be a little off, because i printed it in fragments and i can't find the final copy on my computer, so this is like the 10000099999999th draft -- may be some mini mistakes/typos.

It's a suite of POEMS, exploring the lives of contempory women.
TITLE: The Seven Ages of Women (derived from Shakespeare's poem 'The Seven Ages of Man')

Last edited:

Dabutla

HSC
I'm Cheating

Ok honestly i considered putting my MW up in the showcase thingy but there is about 18 pages with lots of stories and as ive watied this long to post mine up, it will most likely not get read. so im gunna post it here seeing as i really want some feedback outside of teachers and friends etc.

so feel free to get angry/winge/love/reply/be criticial/(whatever)

Form: SS
Title: The Fine Line
Quick Summary: Teen drug abuse

View attachment 19198
View attachment 19199

L

quit bos forever 23/01/07
Under the Tuscan Sun, as per usual, fuckan tearin
HSC
N/A
Re: I'm Cheating

Ok honestly i considered putting my MW up in the showcase thingy but there is about 18 pages with lots of stories and as ive watied this long to post mine up, it will most likely not get read. so im gunna post it here seeing as i really want some feedback outside of teachers and friends etc.

so feel free to get angry/winge/love/reply/be criticial/(whatever)

Form: SS
Title: The Fine Line
Quick Summary: Teen drug abuse

View attachment 19198
View attachment 19199
thanks.

this is way better than mine anyway.

chaldoking

HSC
Be proud of the fine works that have been produced!
Great Work Guys! :)

Also, I always look at the name of the document that is uploaded and laugh. Because I have like 10 documents that all say (REALREALREAL!) when really, it is just another draft in the process. haha. :)

I love the "Seven Ages of Woman" as a title. I read it and instantaneously thought - Shakespeare, As You Like It, Jaques. So great title, and Major Work of course. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I reckon this member called Empyrean444 shoud post his major work here because my school's ex-English coordinator was saying even the top English teachers wouldn't be able to write such a great major work.

Come on!!! let us read! (even though I wouldn't be able to understand ur god-like poetry skills)

xandersnape

HSC
ok this is scary. But here goes.

Name: Red Wines
Form: Stage Script

View attachment 19209

View attachment 19210

Pick Woods is the actual work. That was just to remind me that the picture for the front was the right one when printing...

Please please please comment! I'm so scared because I feel like it isn't good enough :(

HSC
Okay, I've been lurking on this thread for ages, wondering whether I should put mine up or not...

All of the MW's are great! And I'm loving the Clifford/Zeppelin banter.

I really don't like my MW that much - it's a suite of poetry, but I don't think I gave it the attention it deserved.

Hmmmm... maybe I'll just continue my silent contemplation and non-contribution...

HSC
anyone like mine? :)
And i love yours! Your central concept and writing style is 'write' up my alley. :)

More detailed comments on everyone elses' works to come, but to be honest, I'm just glad I don't have to worry about Enex2 anymore.

Top Secret

HSC
Okay, I've been lurking on this thread for ages, wondering whether I should put mine up or not...

All of the MW's are great! And I'm loving the Clifford/Zeppelin banter.

I really don't like my MW that much - it's a suite of poetry, but I don't think I gave it the attention it deserved.

Hmmmm... maybe I'll just continue my silent contemplation and non-contribution...
Fine lol. Don't post yours then. :rolleyes:

ixswans

HSC
Anyone read mine? :(

I wrote how I write, trying not to get sucked into doing pomo and trying to be clever, so my work is very classical. Shelley and the Romantics were a huuuge inspiration to me, and I included some Romantic values in my text, although very subtly.

All English units this year have been fantastic. By far the best year of English I have studied, ever. May have something to do with a great teacher though :D

RachaelRae

HSC
Oh congratulations to everyone. It is so wonderfully refreshing to be enlightened by so many people of our generation. Too often do I find myself being swept away with non-thinking.

Personal congratulations to Clifford and Zeppelin, I do find you both oh so far above myself and hold you very close to my heart. And Clifford, although its highly unlikely you shall read this before the morning, I promise to be unbelievably overly platonically in love with you for even just a moment tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)