Breaking News: Schappelle Corby found guilty! (2 Viewers)

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
cro_angel said:
if drug smuggling was such a problem why didnt they check the bag for fingerprints.. or weigh the bags when she came and compared it to how much it was when she left
and if she was a drug smuggler.. wouldnt the logical thing to do be sell it in sydney and get more money? why would she take it somewhere she has been many times before where there is such a harsh penalty for it..
grrr not happy.. i nearly cried when they gave the verdict
I was listening to the radio last night and someone rang up saying her friend weighed corby's bag in australia and said it weighed less than when it was weighed in indonesia...that seems a bit suss, also the fact that pot is worth a third in indonesia to what it's worth here...these things would seem to point towards her being innocent. But what I can't understand is, how they can justify giving 20 years to someone for having a bit of pot, yet someone who blows up a nightclub and kills hundreds of people gets 2 years. A bit fucked up that is, it should be the other way round but I guess keeping drugs out is more important to indonesia than keeping murderers our :vcross: /rant

bEAbEA

HSC
yenta said:
I was listening to the radio last night and someone rang up saying her friend weighed corby's bag in australia and said it weighed less than when it was weighed in indonesia...that seems a bit suss, also the fact that pot is worth a third in indonesia to what it's worth here...these things would seem to point towards her being innocent. But what I can't understand is, how they can justify giving 20 years to someone for having a bit of pot, yet someone who blows up a nightclub and kills hundreds of people gets 2 years. A bit fucked up that is, it should be the other way round but I guess keeping drugs out is more important to indonesia than keeping murderers our :vcross: /rant

i totally agree

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
i believe our legal system is more efficient too for the basic fact that your innoecnt until proven guilty. in bali it's reversed and i think its fkn stupid
Hahaha, how naive of you.

Okay, let's consider a very sensitive case in Australia: pedophilia

Under the Australian system (innocent until proven guilty):

- if the guy is this ugly old bastard, then everyone in the nation (90% of them) may find it "clearly", "undisputably" "obvious" that he is guilty.

- however, the evidence is not enough to proof him guilty, after all, he is 'innocent until proven guilty', no? So, he escaped jail sentence.

- Australian people are outraged beyond words. They deem the court's case "unfair"

- now any of their children can be victims of this pedophile.

Notice any parallels? This hypothetical (yet possible) court's decision is, as you said, "fkn stupid" no? Our legal system is soooooo much more efficient indeed, heh.

Corby happens to 'commit a crime' where the legal system puts her at a disadvantaged position, but it works the other way too.

Any legal systems have weak points and will result in several "unfair" judgements. I find it amusing that it is soooo fast for people to demonise the foreign legal system before looking at the injustices that have been created by Australian's own system. More efficient system? I think not.

Last edited:

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
yenta said:
But what I can't understand is, how they can justify giving 20 years to someone for having a bit of pot, yet someone who blows up a nightclub and kills hundreds of people gets 2 years. A bit fucked up that is, it should be the other way round but I guess keeping drugs out is more important to indonesia than keeping murderers our :vcross: /rant
Incorrect: Imam Samudra and Amrosi, the Bali bombers, got the death penalty. You've been watching Channel 9 news, haven't you? Yep, I saw it too.

T

tactic

I'm so sick of this crap on the news, she did/didn't break the law in another country.. not ours let them deal with it. What is really really really pissing me off is that I paying for some of her legal fee's (I pay taxes) I am so pissed off at the government for helping her so much when they have NEVER EVER helped someone else that much overseas its just BS. She should not be getting the help she is getting.. Also, I have seen people paying out the indonesian judge for not speaking english.. WTF ITS IN HIS COUNTRY HE SPEAKS HIS OWN LANGUAGE NOT OURS! and for people who start saying boycot bali etc you are all idiots.

and thats my rant for today.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
tactic said:
I am so pissed off at the government for helping her so much when they have NEVER EVER helped someone else that much overseas its just BS.
Well, actually, 'never ever' is not true. The Australian government has been providing some (albeit limited) assistance to other Australians in foreign prisons, and rightly so. Corby just happens to be such a media blowout that we actually know what the government has done.

It is good that the Howard government has attempted to not treat the case so specially to satisfy the majority's opinion.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Argonaut said:
Now, I've blown my stack at a fair few things related to Corby, but this one takes the cake:

People who have made donations to tsunami victims are asking for their money back now that Schappelle Corby has been found guilty.

That's double standards.
OH MY GOSH.

that is so bad.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Wesnat said:
Incorrect: Imam Samudra and Amrosi, the Bali bombers, got the death penalty. You've been watching Channel 9 news, haven't you? Yep, I saw it too.
Is that so? Then why did channel nine say they got 2 yrs?? Wtf, bit of a fuck up by them. Or was there someone else who got 2 years for something similar? Confused...

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
20 years howd u do that???
im only 17! and it seems my life has been going on for a loooooooong time
id commit suicide if i was in for 20 years especially in an indonesia gaol

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Right, it was Abu Bakar Bashir, the spiritual leader of Jemaah Islamiah (whose members included the Bali bombers), who got 2 years in prison, and that's because:

- He exploited loopholes in the law (the terrorism law implemented in Indonesia was only quite recent, from memory)

- He had one of the best lawyers from Jakarta, unlike Corby's rather weak defence team

Last edited:

04er

HSC
Insufficient evidence (hear say) = uncertainty = unjust to punish. The result is fucking retarded.

Last edited:

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
04er said:
Insufficient evidence (hear say) = uncertainty = unjust to punish. The result is fucking retarded.
Not to burst your bubble or anything but in regards to the free schappelle link in your sig, an online petition isn't going to do shit (personally I think if people want to help her they should donate money to help her get a reduced sentence and help improve her prison life).

04er

HSC
yenta said:
Not to burst your bubble or anything but in regards to the free schappelle link in your sig, an online petition isn't going to do shit (personally I think if people want to help her they should donate money to help her get a reduced sentence and help improve her prison life).
Yeah I also want to add a link to a donation site. The petition is something free and it doesn't hurt to have hope.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
04er said:
You're a law student, you should know better than to profess that kind of rubbish.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the daily terror compared abu bakhar bashir's two year sentence to schapelle's 20 and if you compare killing 88 aussies to a bag of weed, schapelle did get a really rough deal.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Asquithian said:
Can you name the other 15 Australians in Asian gaols?

What about those Australian veitnamese on death row?

That's right you dont give a shit.

It's only right when the media tells you its right. They also dont happen to be white and female. They also don't cry for the media. They also dont have a power backing interesting in the money he can get from her story if she gets released.

Bakir had his head in his hands because of the millions he lost. Not because he feels for her.
Can you name the other Aussies in jail????

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh yes, lets compare a case where there honestly was very little evidence to say that he had anything to do with the organisation (let alone knew about the bombings), in a country where it would be extremely volatile to put him away for even 2 years, with this.

Good old telegraph.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
yenta said:
Is that so? Then why did channel nine say they got 2 yrs?? Wtf, bit of a fuck up by them. Or was there someone else who got 2 years for something similar? Confused...
The guy that got 2 years was the Bali terrorist mastermind "Abu bakir bashir"

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Asquithian said:
...you really are not very bright.

thats the point isnt it?
My point was dont get on ur high horse demanding ppl to name other Aussie's in prison in foreign countries when u dont know urself. Fine if u wanna blame the media, blame the media dont have a bitch at ppl for not knowing unless you know yourself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)