Breaking News: Schappelle Corby found guilty! (4 Viewers)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
Oh ok I wasn't sure about the refusal, but I heard that there was a confession, and also initially when they went to open up the bag she got up to attempt to stop them, which would be ok if she had something personal like a dildo in there, but there was nothing but pot, flippers, and a body board.
Of course, it's airline policy not to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We have to use the indefinite article, "a" dildo, never "your" dildo...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my goodness... the first time i've seen smh.com.au post such a big headliner:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
12 pages in 5 1/2 hours? This thread has to of broken a record.

Anyway, I'm over chapelle.

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
i cant wait till the next big thing that will be in the newspapers for months

theone123

blue essence
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Obviously the defense will appeal, but I think the prosecution might also because they asked for life.
the gamble for appeal is that, if she is unsuccessful, she may be jailed for life, or death penalty... the bright side is reduced sentence or maybe no sentence...

so its a spin on a coin...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Followed by apparently her jumping forward and attempting to stop the person from opening the bag... People keep claiming that the eye witnesses to this are all liars, but really most of it seems to stink of racial arrogance.

"Those indonesian police! SO CORRUPT!!!" :rolleyes: Sure they are somewhat corrupt (perhaps more-so than our own), however it simply doesn't make sense for them to lie.
Indonesians are corrupt, i can say for one thing, but this is mainly for petty crimes... you can bribe your way out easy, but for serious offences, like drug trafficking, they are very intense on these issues, not even if your rich, can help you, maybe powerful is an exception...

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
im an idiot said:
i cant wait till the next big thing that will be in the newspapers for months
prob some washed up celebrity pregnant or getting married. always like that

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
soha said:
so?...
thats their system
deal with it
if peopel dont like it
then dont smuggle drugs to indonesia
that's so easy to say and yes it's the truth

but you're missing the whole point of a trial - that she might be innocent. She could be you or me. She might not have had anything to do with the drugs. In which case it is so unbelievably unfair.

What makes you so sure she was 'proven' guilty?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
iambored said:
that's so easy to say and yes it's the truth

but you're missing the whole point of a trial - that she might be innocent. She could be you or me. She might not have had anything to do with the drugs. In which case it is so unbelievably unfair.

What makes you so sure she was 'proven' guilty?
good point

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
In Bali, you don't have to be proven guilty. If you had it you should be responsible for anything that happens. Bali's legal system is very much different to ours.

If she is guilty? She got off really lightly in an Asian court.
If she is innocent? She will not get off, unless the culprit who put it their gives himself up (but this is very unlikely). What other proof does she have that will be weighed?
- Fingerprints on bag? Very unlikely seeing that all those Customs Officers have been on it themselves.
- Motive? What the hell is the point of saying that there is no point of bringing drugs from Queensland to Bali when the profit is minimal.. she could be bringing it in for Australian tourists there who would pay full price..
- John Ford Evidence? That is hearsay evidence, and even in Australian courts that is not admissible evidence. It probably had no weighting on this case.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
I remember one woman in Queensland saying that she will be an innocent young woman who will never have children in a filthy Bali prison.

Hate to break it to you darl, but none of the things you said had anything to do with her innocence. 10 points for the media!

I always find it disgusting when the media portrays the bad prison condition in Bali. Sure it's bad, most things there is in a worse condition than everything here (as if none of us knows that)! But it has absolutely nothing to do with her case. Surely it's just a method to amplify people's emotions? Well, the woman I mentioned is proof enough of this...

I also find it disappointing too that Kevin Rudd bowed down to the public and the media, saying that the government should send the 2 QCs today, rather than in June. Why Rudd, WHY???? I agree that Corby should get assistance from the Australian government - that's a given, even for those who are 100% guilty. But to make all efforts to assist her ASAP, right this instance? What about the other Australians in her positions, who never get this treatment? And we are not even 100% sure she is innocent!! Where is the justice in that?

On a lighter note, kudos to ABC's Lateline program. It provided me with a breath of fresh air at last with its unbiased interview, one of the very few I saw in the television lately.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Heh, some funny quotes from letter to the editor of the Weekend's SMH:

- "One wonders if (the judge) comprehends the concept of a "not guilty" verdict.
- "(The verdict) is the most wicked and evil of rulings... I will never travel to Indonesia as long as I live... a travesty of justice"
- "...free this innocent, scared young girl"
- "Corby has been sacrificed on the altar of Indonesian national pride and face-saving"

But wait, here are the 2 best ones:

- "I want our $1 billion back. Now."
- "There is no doubt in my mind that Schappelle Corby is innocent..."

Tsk Tsk. These people, who think they're gods...

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
I'm glad at least one person has picked up on the suspiciously media-friendly nature of this nation's number one story. Thank you Wesnat. However, I honestly don't think you go far enough.

I'm not going to read 13 pages of rubbish to find the one to four decent posts that will reside therein but I will give you all a proper rundown of this entire fiasco.

John Howard has proven his worth as a fair, just and respectful diplomat and leader. His comments on Corby's situation have only been fair to the Balinese (spelling), Greater Indonesia and to the seperation of powers. He, while supporting Corby, failied to take a side and failed to negotiate for some sort of deal. In doing so he was completely and utterly correct.

to those out there who protest her innocent and make it quite clear that the court erred
stfu. You cannot and should not judge a foreign case without fully understanding the system, the law and facts of the case. If anyone is intimately connected with the trial, please step forward. Otherwise, can everyone PLEASE shut up?

to those who simply protest her innocence
If you know anything (other than what the media has told us i.e. "She's innocent"... another great moment in mass media) that the rest of us don't, pray let us know. The media is to blame for many things, including the majority of Australia having near absolute faith in her innocence. I have news for you. ANY young woman her age would react the same way to her arrest, incarceration and sentence regardless of innocence or guilt.

In the end. Howard is absolutly right in warning the public against demanding she be set free. The law MUST take it's course in all countries lest it be undermined in our own. If it were appropriate for us to demand such things then it would to totally inappropriate for Howard or the Indonesian President to intervene in any way due to the seperation of powers. In this case, the judiciary MUST be allowed to exercise it's duty for Corby and for the next murderer that comes before the court and the next rapist and even the next innocent drug smuggler (not to say that Corby is innocent). If the judiciary is EVER prevented from excersing it's duty then the entire judiciary will be undermined.

KEY QUESTION: Does this mean a potentially innocent woman should spend a great period of her life incarcerated?
ANSWER: Yes. Clearly the system is not perfect and it will sometimes fail to send guilty people to gaol and it will sometimes fail to set the innocent and the framed free; But would justice exist without it?

Schappelle Corby is a potential example of far greater issues.
1. Trial by media. Hell, I hate the media at the best of times. The only paper I like is the Financial Review because I know where it's aiming and it's not trying to push anything upon me. Working her trial through a live feed, Channel Ten's little 'Untold Story' where the Audience could gauge her innocence was just offencive. I don't know what they expected, but I think we all know it would have rated and in the end that is all Corby is. Ratings. The media is a heartless, unfeeling, power-crazy machine and should be treated accordingly.

2. Innocent prisoners She could be innocent, I don't deny this. But what about all those people in Australian gaols who are serving sentences for things they didn't do?!?! Where's your bleeding heart for them, Australia? Ohhh.... they're not all young, female and emotional? Shit... makes sense now. Grow up Australia. See Corby for what she is; a poster-child for the failures of judicial systems the world over. Stop crying about her and start looking at the greater issue and see if you can fix it. If you can't, I suggest you keep your useless prattle to yourself.

Thank you for taking the time.

(NB// While in number two it could seem that I assumed her innocence for the purpose of calling her a "poster-child", I was actually referring to the media fabrication.)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
tWiStEdD said:
I'm glad at least one person has picked up on the suspiciously media-friendly nature of this nation's number one story. Thank you Wesnat. However, I honestly don't think you go far enough.

I'm not going to read 13 pages of rubbish to find the one to four decent posts that will reside therein but I will give you all a proper rundown of this entire fiasco.

John Howard has proven his worth as a fair, just and respectful diplomat and leader. His comments on Corby's situation have only been fair to the Balinese (spelling), Greater Indonesia and to the seperation of powers. He, while supporting Corby, failied to take a side and failed to negotiate for some sort of deal. In doing so he was completely and utterly correct.

to those out there who protest her innocent and make it quite clear that the court erred
stfu. You cannot and should not judge a foreign case without fully understanding the system, the law and facts of the case. If anyone is intimately connected with the trial, please step forward. Otherwise, can everyone PLEASE shut up?

to those who simply protest her innocence
If you know anything (other than what the media has told us i.e. "She's innocent"... another great moment in mass media) that the rest of us don't, pray let us know. The media is to blame for many things, including the majority of Australia having near absolute faith in her innocence. I have news for you. ANY young woman her age would react the same way to her arrest, incarceration and sentence regardless of innocence or guilt.

In the end. Howard is absolutly right in warning the public against demanding she be set free. The law MUST take it's course in all countries lest it be undermined in our own. If it were appropriate for us to demand such things then it would to totally inappropriate for Howard or the Indonesian President to intervene in any way due to the seperation of powers. In this case, the judiciary MUST be allowed to exercise it's duty for Corby and for the next murderer that comes before the court and the next rapist and even the next innocent drug smuggler (not to say that Corby is innocent). If the judiciary is EVER prevented from excersing it's duty then the entire judiciary will be undermined.

KEY QUESTION: Does this mean a potentially innocent woman should spend a great period of her life incarcerated?
ANSWER: Yes. Clearly the system is not perfect and it will sometimes fail to send guilty people to gaol and it will sometimes fail to set the innocent and the framed free; But would justice exist without it?

Schappelle Corby is a potential example of far greater issues.
1. Trial by media. Hell, I hate the media at the best of times. The only paper I like is the Financial Review because I know where it's aiming and it's not trying to push anything upon me. Working her trial through a live feed, Channel Ten's little 'Untold Story' where the Audience could gauge her innocence was just offencive. I don't know what they expected, but I think we all know it would have rated and in the end that is all Corby is. Ratings. The media is a heartless, unfeeling, power-crazy machine and should be treated accordingly.

2. Innocent prisoners She could be innocent, I don't deny this. But what about all those people in Australian gaols who are serving sentences for things they didn't do?!?! Where's your bleeding heart for them, Australia? Ohhh.... they're not all young, female and emotional? Shit... makes sense now. Grow up Australia. See Corby for what she is; a poster-child for the failures of judicial systems the world over. Stop crying about her and start looking at the greater issue and see if you can fix it. If you can't, I suggest you keep your useless prattle to yourself.

Thank you for taking the time.

(NB// While in number two it could seem that I assumed her innocence for the purpose of calling her a "poster-child", I was actually referring to the media fabrication.)

stfu tim.

everything Twistedd says makes perfect sense. listen to the voice of wisdom people.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Wesnat said:
But wait, here are the 2 best ones:

- "I want our $1 billion back. Now."
- "There is no doubt in my mind that Schappelle Corby is innocent..."

Tsk Tsk. These people, who think they're gods...
In defence of the aid position, it isn't as though they are advocating a radical idea. However, I'm not saying that it's right. As for the other, such people are only human, as are you.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
just being human is NOT a license to be an idiot.

Oh, additionally.... The aid position deserves no such defence. They need that aid. No need to side with your beloved 'humans' on this one.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
tWiStEdD said:
just being human is NOT a license to be an idiot.

Oh, additionally.... The aid position deserves no such defence. They need that aid. No need to side with your beloved 'humans' on this one.
It's a licence to be sympathetic if you feel the need, though. As for the aid position, I was merely trying to point out that most aid is tied, even though it's rarely (if at all) tied in such a personal manner.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
soha said:
why is it harsh?
she is guilty and desreves what she gets
like some people have already said, just cause she was found guilty doesn't mean she is. :rolleyes:
soha said:
they had sufficient evidenve against her
and they found her guilty
y does everyone think 20 years is harsh
shell get out earlier prolly and she would get out at 47
plus..is is because shes australian ?
shes guilty of a crime and has to sufer the consequences
geez...
again, what makes you so sure she's guilty? apart from the verdict?
soha said:
well i personally thought she was guilty from day one
then i thought nah shes innocent
then i thought shes guilty
and now shes been prooven guilty and im very much over it
i thought 20 years was a joke of a sentence
from day one? haha now that's a fucking joke. there's no way you could have heard enough about the incident in the first day to come to a reasonable conclusion.
soha said:
i believe in the indonesian courts and their sharia laws
and if they say shes guilty
then i believe she is
ahh, so that's why you're so sure she's guilty :rolleyes: "if they say shes guilty then you believe she is?" haha that's as priceless as the quote from you in my sig.
soha said:
they dont set out to try and convict her straight away as guilty
but based on evidence etc she is
actually i believe the judge in his 500 or so hearings has never delivered an innocent verdict in his courtroom.
soha said:
and whats so bad about indonesian prison?
you've obviously never seen one?
the conditions are terrible, and schapelle was even confronted by bali bomber Amrozi on one occasion and harassed for "being Australian".

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Well make it clearer next time. you're liable to fuel the emotional fire.

Sympathy is okay. Foolishness is not. There may be a fine line, but i guess when anyone become emotionally involved a foolishness becomes obvious by their language and reason becomes conspicuous by it's absence.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Generator said:
In defence of the aid position, it isn't as though they are advocating a radical idea. However, I'm not saying that it's right. As for the other, such people are only human, as are you.
With the "I want my $1billion back" thing, I was pointing out to the idea that some people have that they can actually buy out justice.

With the "these people who think they're gods" comment, I was pointing out to the idea that some people absolutely know 100% that Corby is either innocent or guilty, where, in fact, nobody but Corby herself would know. This is supposed to be the million dollar question, but people seem to already KNOW for sure the answer to that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)