Brogden resigns (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
what971 said:
Today is a great day for Australian Communism.

Another Fascist Pig of a Politician kicked out. The Revolution Comes!
Brogden was a lefty.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
townie said:
hahaha, brogden's an idiot, he said all that stuff around JOURNALISTS

P.S. after only 6 beers, wat a lightweight

where did u get that he had 6 beers>?

anyway i always hated that guy, so glad he is gone

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
SashatheMan said:
where did u get that he had 6 beers>?

anyway i always hated that guy, so glad he is gone

Hes not gone. He still could get a position in a reshuffled shadow ministry

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
that guy is such a player. gropping that chicks ass and drooling while he was doing. This guy is in deep shit. He must be punching him self in the gut atm

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
he couldn't have survived this scandal without support from his party (who probably leaked the story in the first place)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Toodulu said:
he couldn't have survived this scandal without support from his party (who probably leaked the story in the first place)

yup the right faction immediately seized the opportunity to ensure brodgen was brought down.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Soma said:
It was broken by The Australian's Glen Milne who was informed of it by a senior Liberal Party member.

Libs were cheesed that Brogden was making no headway even though Carr was gone and decided to get rid of him.
For anyone who may be interested, here's the PM report that discussed the above.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Today's SMH has a number of articles discussing Brogden and his resignation. The piece from the Sun-Herald journo that he propositioned may be of particular interest. Even though I don't doubt her version of the night's events (how could I as a mere keyboard warrior), but I cannot help but think that her interpretation may well be slightly overdone, especially when his staffers were standing by as the night wore on. Then again, I'm just hoping for the best when it comes to modern day political staffers and one who seems to be one of the few moderates left within today's Liberal Party. For a cynic, that doesn't seem to make much sense, but I think that the feeling has been fuelled in part (or in full) after listening to however many irate 702 listeners criticise Brogden for his 'racist' remarks. Just to be clear, in no way am I disputing that the comments were completely inappropriate, but it's a bit of a stretch to suggest a joke in very poor taste is indicative of an underlying tendency towards racist beliefs, especially when in the past he has been criticised by many within the Liberal party for being too moderate.

To think that I was almost willing to preference a state Liberal party with a moderate leader following on from the recent upheaval in the state Labor party at the next election, even though 2007 is still not near. Oh well, here's to the state political parties becoming forces that are worthy of our support... Someday.

As an aside, it's intersting to note that Brogden made quite a few policy announcements in recent weeks, something that was more than a slight departure from his general pattern of nothing but near constant criticism of the Labor Government (that's to be expected when one is in opposition, though). Perhaps he was informed as to the spreading of the stories and sought to deflect attention as best as he could without drawing any unwanted scrutiny? Eh, I'm tired so I'll stop the late night musings right about now (well, what passes for "late night musings" from the forum's ever present Generator :)).

Edit: An article from The Australian's NSW state political reporter, Andrew West - Brogden quits, blaming party.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If he didnt truely believe his racist slurs, then they wouldn't have come out.
I think it's an idea for the great debate. Get the PM and Oppo freaking legless (giving consideration to body mass etc) exposing them to images of America, Asians, Muslims, Hospitals, Schools, the army, naked men and, of course, the family members of eachother.
We could also replace the worm with audience vomit levels or some such.
Only then can liberal-democracy truely reach maturity.
I mean, they're usually happy to do the lie detector gimmic.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Generator said:
*shakes head*

You'd never see someone of the Liberal party behave in such a manner. Depsite how much we dislike the ALP, we never go as far as to abuse their family or make plans to kill them, seeing as though they are more than capable of acting in such a manner themselves. The whole culture of the Labor Party disgusts me, the way everyone ingratiates themselves to the nearest high-ranking party official, lavishing them in praise in the hope of recognition and favour.

I prefer my twist (and it's just as valid, too).
I demand clarification. I realise where you're coming from, once again preferring to remain aloof from the Liberal-Labor divide, weilding your sabre of centrism with which to slay all of those who rear their partisan heads whenever they make a highly biased statement, as well as to grant yourself the personal satisfaction of not having succumbed to an allegiance to either of the two main parties. It's an admirable path, but it's a path of intellectual snobbery, a mindset that any number of us could have confined myself too had it not been for the realisation the centrist commentary, despite how nourishing it is, does not result in political progress.

I don't condemn your politics, without them this forum would be without essential moderation, but this reply is made more out of a despair that you consider me to be in the same league of ideological confinement as the likes of anti-mathmite. I am of Labor inclination, but not a partisan and not so extreme so that I refuse to acknowledge the argument put forward but those of a differing inclination.

But to return to my original post, I do believe that the Liberal Party is plagued by a kind of Old Boys Club attitude, and that it is the Party where imperfect citizens find themselves apart of because it caters to their imperfection. I think this is evident in the way a man of Brogden's demeanor is able to become leader of the state organisation of the party. His apology was pissweak and to me appeared insincere. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but when you've been caught out abusing not your political enemy himself, but his wife, you stand there and repent and only repent- not combine the apology with a political attack. See, Brogden could well have joined the Labor Party if he was motivated by his circumstances, but instead he joined the Liberals because he beleived it catered to what was a dormant sense of racial superiority and an excusable contempt for the value of women.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
leetom said:
I demand clarification. I realise where you're coming from, once again preferring to remain aloof from the Liberal-Labor divide, weilding your sabre of centrism with which to slay all of those who rear their partisan heads whenever they make a highly biased statement, as well as to grant yourself the personal satisfaction of not having succumbed to an allegiance to either of the two main parties. It's an admirable path, but it's a path of intellectual snobbery, a mindset that any number of us could have confined myself too had it not been for the realisation the centrist commentary, despite how nourishing it is, does not result in political progress.

I don't condemn your politics, without them this forum would be without essential moderation, but this reply is made more out of a despair that you consider me to be in the same league of ideological confinement as the likes of anti-mathmite and comrade nathan. I am of Labor inclination, but not a partisan and not so extreme so that I refuse to acknowledge the argument put forward but those of a differing inclination.

But to return to my original post, I do believe that the Liberal Party is plagued by a kind of Old Boys Club attitude, and that it is the Party where imperfect citizens find themselves apart of because it caters to their imperfection. I think this is evident in the way a man of Brogden's demeanor is able to become leader of the state organisation of the party. His apology was pissweak and to me appeared insincere. Perhaps I'm just old-fashioned, but when you've been caught out abusing not your political enemy himself, but his wife, you stand there and repent and only repent- not combine the apology with a political attack. See, Brogden could well have joined the Labor Party if he was motivated by his circumstances, but instead he joined the Liberals because he beleived it catered to what was a dormant sense of racial superiority and an excusable contempt for the value of women.

I support both the Democrats and the ALP, although that isn't to say that such support is blind, especially when you have the ever so wonderous factional system destroying the ALP from within. As far as I was concerned, your post was nothing more than a partisan diatribe which indicated that you were ignoring the many inadequacies of the ALP. In light of your response, I stand by my twist, although I will add that comments such as your own are just as likely to inhibit progress as those that are scathing of both parties given their many faults.

As for your comments regarding Brogden's choice of political parties and what that may well suggest regarding his character, you seem to be ignoring the fact that he's a moderate and making however many assumptions in the process.

So many people seem to be suggesting that in his inebriated state his true colours were shown, and even though I don't necessarily disagree with that, I do take issue with the point that the comments clearly implied that he is a closet racist/cultural supremacist. Could the comments not also be indicative of closet tendency towards poor political satire (which makes just as much, if not more, sense than the racist interpretation when considered in the context that soma suggested earlier)? I doubt that that would be of interest to many, though.

He does seem to have been a bit of sleaze, though (as offhanded as this comment may seem, I am well aware of the gravity of his actions in this regard).

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I spent the evening recording political quotes that I do not believe for a composition that a friend and I are creating. I recorded quotes like "damned asians" and "fuck the fuckers", because they are OBVIOUSLY made in jest.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I support both the Democrats and the ALP, although that isn't to say that such support is blind, especially when you have the ever so wonderous factional system destroying the ALP from within. As far as I was concerned, your post was nothing more than a partisan diatribe which indicated that you were ignoring the many inadequacies of the ALP. In light of your response, I stand by my twist, although I will add that comments such as your own are just as likely to inhibit progress as those that are scathing of both parties given their many faults.
I didn't make an effort to discuss any faults of the ALP, that's true, but that doesn't make me a party partisan. I think it can be generally acknowledged that no Labor member has ever harboured a desire to kill their opposite number, nor have they ever sunk low enough to launch derogatory verbal attacks on the family members of their opposite numbers.

Labor members have however, been indulged in less than acceptable behaviour involving alcohol-fueled advances. (Tripodi on some junior Democrat, which would be scary because Tripodi is fat, greay and thug-like).

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i just saw on the news ticker that he has been admitted to hospital with self-inflicted wounds......

^___^
HSC

Disgraced former NSW Liberal leader John Brogden has attempted suicide.

Network Nine said Mr Brogden was receiving treatment but his condition was understood not to be life threatening.

Mr Brogden's office refused to comment, but the former state Opposition leader was rushed to Royal North Shore Hospital by ambulance in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

from Yahoo! news Australia

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Curiouser and curiouser...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)