Budget 2014 (1 Viewer)

hayleyemma96

HSC
Yeah and what happens to our economy if we continue to run a huge deficit? Do you really want us to end up like the rest of OECD countries shitting themselves and going almost to defaulting on their loans and beg the IMF for money? What do you think happens to countries that goes to the IMF for loans? Say bye bye to every government program in existence.

There are jobs out there. Plenty. It's just the jobs that people are too proud to do or uni kids doing degrees that won't lead to a career pathway and cry about not getting a job.

Australia's still the 2nd BEST PLACE TO BE BORN IN and yet people think Armageddon is going to come because of a budget cut. The cuts AREN'T even that bad yet people make it out to be the end of the world.

You do realize if you guy welfare and have tax cuts instead, you'd have a better run economy. It's all about EXPANDING the resource pie. What would you want? You get $500 and person B get's $500 or you get $600 and Person B gets $800

Yeah I'm sure a $7 GP fee is really going to make people starve. Lol. Just. Stop. I lived in Taiwan where the avg salary is 1k aussie a month, GP fees are around $15 even with universal healthcare. Yet it is one of THE BEST healthcare system in the world.

If you have a serious continuing illness, I highly doubt you just drop by to your GP to get a prescription. You do realize there's something called hospitals that won't charge fees for serious conditions right?
From this post and your serious lack of awareness of the suffering of the working class, I gather you come from a middle to high-income family and are a spoiled brat who has had everything given to them. You are an ignorant prick and I hope this budget shits on you and your family.
For your information, I have applied for every single casual/part-time job available in my area and surrounding areas but most require at least two years experience, something which I do not have just yet. So yes, there may be plenty of jobs available. But these jobs are available to people with qualifications or experience that I do not have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hayleyemma96

HSC
If 7 dollars really prevents you from going to your doctor, I'd let natural selection take it's place. GPs are not there to assess major medical emergency. I'm surprised nobody bitches about the 125 dollar ambulance fee if you don't have cover. but omg people will dieeeeeeeee.

You know what I hate about GP's here? Waiting at least 1 hour before seeing a doctor. That's what really deters me from a GP.
Wow, natural selection? I refer to my previous post. What about students or employees who need medical certificates. I could potentially fail a unit if I don't get a medical certificate for missing a certain amount of tutorials or missing an exam etc. $7 for that? What a joke...

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...d-students-gap-year-plans-20140516-38fg3.html

OMG no more gap year :(

The plans of Imogen Smith, 18, from Balmain, are in disarray after Tuesday's budget. She had secured year-long employment at an international school in Guangzhou, the largest city in the Chinese province of Guandong.
This kid is so full of shit. Working in an international school with no qualifications how the fuck are you going to get a work visa in china. top. lel.
what a hard knock life.

Hayley: Are you serious? You really think $7 is seriously deterring you from getting a medical certificate? Top. Lel. Maybe you should put away 2 cups of coffee a week to save.

How many ads have we seen "for the price of a coffee a week you can do xyz"

Do that same thing.

Last edited:

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
From this post and your serious lack of awareness of the suffering of the working class, I gather you come from a middle to high-income family and are a spoiled brat who has had everything given to them. You are an ignorant prick and I hope this budget shits on you and your family.
For your information, I have applied for every single casual/part-time job available in my area and surrounding areas but most require at least two years experience, something which I do not have just yet. So yes, there may be plenty of jobs available. But these jobs are available to people with qualifications or experience that I do not have.

Maybe get into construction. Huge boom right now and they're always looking for tradesmen.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
You know why they should gut centrelink?

Because people like me should never qualify yet I receive max payments. I work enough part time and get centrelink to cover my living expenses and then some. This country is seriously full of upper class welfare. Top. Lel.

hayleyemma96

HSC
[

Hayley: Are you serious? You really think $7 is seriously deterring you from getting a medical certificate? Top. Lel. Maybe you should put away 2 cups of coffee a week to save.

How many ads have we seen "for the price of a coffee a week you can do xyz"

Do that same thing.
1) I don't drink coffee
2) I get one shift a week at work (Thursday night 4pm-9pm) which is the equivalent of $60 a week. $31.50 goes to public transport to get to uni to get a qualification (MyMulti3 because I live in the western suburbs) $20 goes to the board I pay my parents each week to live at home (My parents had the same thing when they were younger so they passed it on to me). If I had to see a doctor this week, I'd be down to $1.50 a week. Good luck to me.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
1) I don't drink coffee
2) I get one shift a week at work (Thursday night 4pm-9pm) which is the equivalent of $60 a week. $31.50 goes to public transport to get to uni to get a qualification (MyMulti3 because I live in the western suburbs) $20 goes to the board I pay my parents each week to live at home (My parents had the same thing when they were younger so they passed it on to me). If I had to see a doctor this week, I'd be down to $1.50 a week. Good luck to me.

Maybe you have some parental issues you should sort out. Oh not to mention the centrelink payments you'd get if you were in that socioeconomic demographic.

edit: as i said, why don't you work in construction or go into real estate. plenty of places hiring if you know how to look.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
If 7 dollars really prevents you from going to your doctor, I'd let natural selection take it's place. GPs are not there to assess major medical emergency. I'm surprised nobody bitches about the 125 dollar ambulance fee if you don't have cover. but omg people will dieeeeeeeee.

You know what I hate about GP's here? Waiting at least 1 hour before seeing a doctor. That's what really deters me from a GP.
it has nothing to do with emergency, a lot of major diseases are slowly progressive and the type you wouldn't pick up on unless you visit the GP for what the layman would think is an everyday symptom

the natural selection argument is incredibly stupid lol

you're still gonna be waiting for ages at a GP, in fact considering people will end up coming later when they get far sicker now, the consultations will probs end up being longer cos they didn't see the gp earlier when their condition wasnt that bad which means you might end up waiting for even longer

it's a common misconception that lots of people with no problems clog up the waiting line for a GP, the vast majority of people who go to the GP have a genuine health concern

Last edited:

hayleyemma96

HSC
Maybe you have some parental issues you should sort out. Oh not to mention the centrelink payments you'd get if you were in that socioeconomic demographic.
$20 a week is better for me than paying $200 rent a week. The $20 covers all the bills (mainly because I use a lot of internet for uni), food, clothing and a roof over my head so there's really no parental issues to sort out. I'm 18, I should contribute.
I'm not eligible for any centrelink payments because I'm considered to be dependent and so my parents combined income is used to determine my eligibility. My dad recently got a promotion so our total household income is just over the threshold for eligibility.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
a patient with chronic kidney disease for example is relatively asymptomatic for much of their condition till it is really end stage. For people who have this, the difference between slowing down that progression with a few tablets and being put on dialysis and costing the system tens of thousands of dollars for each patient each year is pretty much determined by how early they see their gp over otherwise minor issues like lethargy etc. that many people wouldn't bother getting checked out if they felt it wasn't worth 7 bucks worth

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
$20 a week is better for me than paying $200 rent a week. The $20 covers all the bills (mainly because I use a lot of internet for uni), food, clothing and a roof over my head so there's really no parental issues to sort out. I'm 18, I should contribute.
I'm not eligible for any centrelink payments because I'm considered to be dependent and so my parents combined income is used to determine my eligibility. My dad recently got a promotion so our total household income is just over the threshold for eligibility.

Right. And why should the Australian taxpayers pick up the tab since your parents decided not to support you? Since your parent's income is over the amount that makes you ineligible for centrelink your not exactly working class now are you?

Kiraken: Really. Are you seriously going to argue a $7 GP fee is going to seriously deter people from going to the doctor. That's like saying rising price of fuel stops people from buying petrol. Top. Lel. Ever heard of an inelastic product?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
a patient with chronic kidney disease for example is relatively asymptomatic for much of their condition till it is really end stage. For people who have this, the difference between slowing down that progression with a few tablets and being put on dialysis and costing the system tens of thousands of dollars for each patient each year is pretty much determined by how early they see their gp over otherwise minor issues like lethargy etc. that many people wouldn't bother getting checked out if they felt it wasn't worth 7 bucks worth
Yeah I'm pretty sure people's survival instinct won't kick in over 7 dollars. I'm sure all those people in the rest of the world who pay for their GP die because they don't bother.

hayleyemma96

HSC
Right. And why should the Australian taxpayers pick up the tab since your parents decided not to support you? Since your parent's income is over the amount that makes you ineligible for centrelink your not exactly working class now are you?

Kiraken: Really. Are you seriously going to argue a $7 GP fee is going to seriously deter people from going to the doctor. That's like saying rising price of fuel stops people from buying petrol. Top. Lel. Ever heard of an inelastic product?
I never said that Australian taxpayers should pick up the tab? I don't expect to receive centrelink payments and never said that I did nor did I say that my household was working class. Before you try to attack me, make sure you get your argument right buddy....

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

it's not even out yet and i have already met patients who have mentioned they would be reluctant to see a gp over "minor" stuff due to the 7 buck copayment

it isn't really because the difference with health is the severity of a symptom isn't necessarily indicative of how bad their condition is, as stated earlier, someone who doesn't know much about medicine wouldn't necessarily think more "basic" symptoms are worth seeing a doctor about, especially if this will cost them 7 dollars, but in reality, seeing a doctor early might make a huge difference in long term health and cost. The problem becomes particularly bad when you consider how this might impact people's compliance with routine check-ups and screening tests who might already feel as if these things aren't completely necessary.

Also if it won't deter people from seeing a GP, doesn't this contradict what you implied earlier about reducing waiting times to see a GP?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe pay them an extra 50 cents per week with the knowledge that they will cover any medical related costs?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Something I hadn't read much about

HECS/HELP indexation is changing. Used to be indexed to inflation, from June 2016 will be indexed to 10 year treasury bond rates, up to 6% max.

Previously I had thought of HECS, not growing in real terms ever, as basically a higher tax rate for graduates, not a real debt. Now shit just got real.

Now I, and many of you, have gone from zero debt, to $30k in the hole overnight. I've got enough cash on hand to pay it off immediately already, unless you're certain of getting returns above treasury bond rates, I'll have to pay off in full before June 2016.

I thought I was doing pretty well saving, now back to zero, oh well.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Yeah I'm pretty sure people's survival instinct won't kick in over 7 dollars. I'm sure all those people in the rest of the world who pay for their GP die because they don't bother.
you completely missed the point which is that these people might be completely unaware of what symptoms etc. mean which is precisely why they should see a doctor over what they might see as minor and insignificant issues for their health

people's survival instinct kicks in when they feel risk, the problem is most people don't see this risk unless it is detected early by a GP which can only be done if they are compliant enough to see their gp over even minor inconveniences to their health

hayleyemma96

HSC
Maybe pay them an extra 50 cents per week with the knowledge that they will cover any medical related costs?
I rarely get sick so there really is no need but I was just making the point that if I had to (without help from my parents) I would be living on $1.50 a week.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Raising the price of fuel may be fine for some people but for others they'll seek an alternative, they might end up riding the bike to work or using more public transport. Charging $7 will in fact cause people to consider whether or not it is worth going because people that struggle to make ends meet and live paycheck to paycheck will need to actually think is it worth it.

In the past if a struggling family member feels as if they're getting sick they'll go to the doctor to get checked up because they can't afford to not work as they need every dollar they earn. Now people won't just be able to go in case they feel they're getting sick because if they're not its $7 wasted.

Many of us may live a comfortable life and for us $7 is the price you pay for a couple of coffees. But for people that are constantly in fear of making ends meet and don't even have the luxury of buying a cup of coffee, seven dollars isn't a measly amount to cough up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I never said that Australian taxpayers should pick up the tab? I don't expect to receive centrelink payments and never said that I did nor did I say that my household was working class. Before you try to attack me, make sure you get your argument right buddy....

stop making it out that you have a hard knock life then. I'm sure your parents will give you 7 dollars to go visit the GP. If they don't, go to centrelink and tell them you have a serious breakdown of relationship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)